The Nightwing OYL Discussion Thread

I know, but I'm still confused about why they felt they needed to change him this drastically. This is a complete 180 from what the character had evolved to be. Dick used to be the linchpin of the superhero community--he was Bat family heir, he was friends with Superman, he founded the Titans and led the JLA, everyone loved him. Now he's doing his best to stay off the radar, violate all of the basic superhero morals, and basically be a jerk to everyone he had connections to before. :confused:

TheCorpulent1 said:
I know, but I'm still confused about why they felt they needed to change him this drastically. This is a complete 180 from what the character had evolved to be. Dick used to be the linchpin of the superhero community--he was Bat family heir, he was friends with Superman, he founded the Titans and led the JLA, everyone loved him. Now he's doing his best to stay off the radar, violate all of the basic superhero morals, and basically be a jerk to everyone he had connections to before. :confused:

yeah, i didn't understand that confrontation with superman, either. both sides seemed to be out of line. that general definitely deserved far worse than what the outsiders did to him and it wasn't supes' place to get involved. they weren't killing the guy or anything, just making sure he couldn't hurt anyone ever again. i also had a problem with dick threatening supes with kryptonite. that was a low blow, in my opinion.

Dick is hardcore. Crappy but hardcore.

sinewave said:
yeah, i didn't understand that confrontation with superman, either. both sides seemed to be out of line. that general definitely deserved far worse than what the outsiders did to him and it wasn't supes' place to get involved. they weren't killing the guy or anything, just making sure he couldn't hurt anyone ever again. i also had a problem with dick threatening supes with kryptonite. that was a low blow, in my opinion.
I think Superman was spot-on for wanting to have a talk with Nightwing, actually. Only Nightwing was out of line in that situation. Nightwing wanted to take down the leader of Mali? Fine. He gets evidence of the atrocities he's committing and takes him to stand trial in international court. I think Superman just felt that the way Nightwing was handling the situation was moving beyond justice and into vengeance. Plus, you know how Superman's hearing is. For all we know, he heard Nightwing give Thunder the order to let Benin slaughter that village. That goes way beyond what's allowed in the superhero game.

Sadly, Nightwing is still written better in Outsiders than in his own book.

Well, yeah, but that's like comparing a pile of crap to a pile of burning, festering, year-old crap. I'll probably be dropping Outsiders if it hasn't improved by the end of this Mallah/Brain arc.

I remember reading the first issue of Nightwing OYL, finishing it, putting back on the rack, and not reading any more after that. I just wasn't interested.

Thank the lord above that happened, 'cause if I read that male model bit, I would have probably snapped into a homicidal rage.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I think Superman was spot-on for wanting to have a talk with Nightwing, actually. Only Nightwing was out of line in that situation. Nightwing wanted to take down the leader of Mali? Fine. He gets evidence of the atrocities he's committing and takes him to stand trial in international court. I think Superman just felt that the way Nightwing was handling the situation was moving beyond justice and into vengeance. Plus, you know how Superman's hearing is. For all we know, he heard Nightwing give Thunder the order to let Benin slaughter that village. That goes way beyond what's allowed in the superhero game.

yeah, i can see your point. i think dick and the outsiders are attempting to operate more like a covert special-ops team, rather than like a typical superhero team. i wonder if they might have some ties to a government agency and are just following orders? it seems like something the d.e.o. might try.

Either way, it seems awfully strange for Nightwing to have adopted this questionable morality deal again, when before the Crisis hit he had just recommitted himself to following the moral example of Batman. Batman would never be caught dead using some of the tactics Nightwing's employed in this first mission alone.

batnkevlar said:
Yeah dude, everyone I know thinks Green Lantern is black... cuz JLU rawks...
JLU does "rawk" actually. And their John is pretty much a better GL than any Lantern ever. Well.... maybe not Alan, but its close.

JLU John annoyed me. He's a bit too brusque. He was almost a mix of the comics' John and Guy, actually.

Nightwing OYL is the only series, I'm really disappointed with . Before the ending of Crisis, The old Dick Grayson came back, and was ready to take Responsibility of his life. By following the moral example of Batman, Finally getting married to Babs etc ... Then OYL Dick becomes a jackass all over again.WTF WHY DID DC do this ?

jaydawg said:
JLU does "rawk" actually. And their John is pretty much a better GL than any Lantern ever. Well.... maybe not Alan, but its close.

Yeah, he's tied between Alan and Kyle, in my opinion. :up:

MaskedManJRK said:
Thank the lord above that happened, 'cause if I read that male model bit, I would have probably snapped into a homicidal rage.

You really take your comic book reading seriously. Now I can sometimes understand calling other grown men names because they don't write your fictional characters the way you enjoy them written...or drawn...but busting into a homicidal rage is just blasphemy! :eek: :O :)

But, seriously, it sounds like they should have just killed ol' Dicky boy in Infinite Crisis. :o

SpideyInATree said:
You really take your comic book reading seriously. Now I can sometimes understand calling other grown men names because they don't write your fictional characters the way you enjoy them written...or drawn...but busting into a homicidal rage is just blasphemy! :eek: :O :)

But, seriously, it sounds like they should have just killed ol' Dicky boy in Infinite Crisis. :o

Homicidal rage is a slight hyperbole. At the most, I probably would have uttered, "What the f**k?"

I'm actually quite laid-back when it comes to this stuff. :)

MaskedManJRK said:
Homicidal rage is a slight hyperbole. At the most, I probably would have uttered, "What the f**k?"

I'm actually quite laid-back when it comes to this stuff. :)

Well, you could have reacted like another poster did in the Spidey forums.

"I'd rather cut my genitals with razor blades and pour rubbing alcohol on it than read The Other"

The story is bad. But not THAT bad. I'd rather read the dumbest non-sensical comic book ever than do ANYTHING horrible to my genitals. :eek:

SpideyInATree said:
Well, you could have reacted like another poster did in the Spidey forums.

"I'd rather cut my genitals with razor blades and pour rubbing alcohol on it than read The Other"

The story is bad. But not THAT bad. I'd rather read the dumbest non-sensical comic book ever than do ANYTHING horrible to my genitals. :eek:

Yeah, I could understand, say, beating the crap out of yourself, Fight Club style, but harming the step-children?! :eek:

People really take their Spider-Man comics seriously. :O

I said that I liked that Spider-Man is going to reveal his identity to the world and I was accused of being Satan.

Maybe I'll develop my red body and horns later on. :(

That's only if you cop to the popular image of Satan. Maybe you'll grow two extra heads and a door to Purgatory in your ass like Satan had in The Divine Comedy instead.

Or maybe I'll morph into Al Pacino. He played Satan before.

You're right. I'm probably going to turn into the worst looking Satan ever. Oh well, at least I'm the lord of the underworld. And I can make peoples souls burn for all eternity.

Odd that this thread swung right over to Satan. I've been watching the old TV series Brimstone lately. It's pretty good.

And no, you wouldn't get to turn into John Glover, either. :p

dick is amazing in outsiders, and how he
faced superman with the green K

i don't know what his own series is so bad!!!

Dick pissed me off with that ****, who do you think you are, Batman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"