The North Korean Situation II

north-korea-army-war-could-break-out-today

Maybe I'm just over simplifying this but can someone just kill this little ****nut.

The best analogy I can think of he seems like the guy who mouths off to start the fight then vanishes once the first punch is thrown

Sadly that the little ****e who will knife you in the back outside the bar at the end of the night :(

I have a feeling Kim Jong Il was secretly assasinated so the military hawks could gain full control and this is the end result.

I'm just surprised the escalation didn't happen sooner.

How North-Korea thinks it can benefit from this situation? They are crazy. I hope nothing happens.

North Korea probably thinks by acting up like this they can eventually get back round the negotiation a better deal. They are like toddlers who had a hissyfit over the sanctions and are saying fine if we don't get what we want we will act like horrible brats. When they calm down they think everyone will appease them because thats how they act when they aren't happy.

Its funny how ordinary South Koreans don't give a damn. South Koreans are so used to and over this BS from the north for the last 50 years

Here's the reason I've gone from being a skeptic to slightly (but still only slightly) worried about a conflict exploding on the peninsula; the closing of the Kaesong industrial joint zone. That is an industrial park located in Kaesong, North Korea where South Korean companies run plants that have both North Korean and South Korean workers working together. It is one of the biggest and only remaining cooperative projects between SK and NK and greatly helps NK's economy. It would also be one of the major road-blocks to a conflict between the two nations (much moreso than a hotline). If NK is willing to sacrifice THAT, things are getting serious. Add to that the re-opening of the Yongbyon nuke plant, the beefing up of military defenses in Guam and warships moving to the area and things are getting worse indeed. So now I'd put the chances of war breaking out at about 5% instead of 0.1%. But I still think things will calm back down just before they reach the boiling point. Thundercrack was right that the the son is much more unpredictable and reckless than his father (which is a big disappointment, since I initially thought he might be a reformer). Or the generals have completely usurped his control and are acting and speaking for him. That's another possibility.

Here's the reason I've gone from being a skeptic to slightly (but still only slightly) worried about a conflict exploding on the peninsula; the closing of the Kaesong industrial joint zone. That is an industrial park located in Kaesong, North Korea where South Korean companies run plants that have both North Korean and South Korean workers working together. It is one of the biggest and only remaining cooperative projects between SK and NK and greatly helps NK's economy. It would also be one of the major road-blocks to a conflict between the two nations (much moreso than a hotline). If NK is willing to sacrifice THAT, things are getting serious. Add to that the re-opening of the Yongbyon nuke plant, the beefing up of military defenses in Guam and warships moving to the area and things are getting worse indeed. So now I'd put the chances of war breaking out at about 5% instead of 0.1%. But I still think things will calm back down just before they reach the boiling point. Thundercrack was right that the the son is much more unpredictable and reckless than his father (which is a big disappointment, since I initially thought he might be a reformer). Or the generals have completely usurped his control and are acting and speaking for him. That's another possibility.

That is certainly cause for alarm....also, as we all know (the fact that Bush had to write a special letter to the President of China in order to get our people out of China when their reconnaissance plane crashed back in 2000 so China could save face to the world...) tells us how much "saving face" means to these guys. So the fact that the "boy wonder" is shooting his mouth off all over the place, means he is at some point going to have to back it up in order to "save face"....I'm a little worried "when" and "how" he plans on doing that...

Only a fool wouldn't be a little worried about this situation. We always think "naaa, it'll never happen." So safe in our little bubble world...

But if the brass are taking it very serious, we should too.

That is certainly cause for alarm....also, as we all know (the fact that Bush had to write a special letter to the President of China in order to get our people out of China when their reconnaissance plane crashed back in 2000 so China could save face to the world...) tells us how much "saving face" means to these guys. So the fact that the "boy wonder" is shooting his mouth off all over the place, means he is at some point going to have to back it up in order to "save face"....I'm a little worried "when" and "how" he plans on doing that...

Very good observation, but in Chinese (and other Asian cultures) "saving face" is just "spin" by any other name. For example, if the 6 regional powers in that area managed to work out some complex deal, with the salient points being NK renews the cease fire, backs off its nuclear deal and gets some food aid, then Kim Jong Un can go back to his parade and wave at his people and say "Dear Leader stood strong in tough negotiations with corrupt Western powers and come back with prosperous tidings for the loyal people of our nation" or whatever.

Just like if unemployment in the USA goes from 7% to 8% in one month, Obama can say it's an encouraging sign that more people are off the sidelines and back into the employment-seeking market. Same general principle, just in a more extreme way.

It's laughable, really. This is like watching a six grader talk smack to a high school senior. Even if they were to launch a nuke in our direction, there's only a marginal chance we'll be hit by their missile. For the love of god, N. Korea has limitations in even striking their neighbor.

It's laughable, really. This is like watching a six grader talk smack to a high school senior. Even if they were to launch a nuke in our direction, there's only a marginal chance we'll be hit by their missile. For the love of god, N. Korea has limitations in even striking their neighbor.

A sixth grader with a gun though.

This is what happens when you let Dennis Rodman travel places. He spends a few days in North Korea and a few weeks later they want to nuke his country of origin :funny:

Apparently North Korea has started mobilizing its missile launchers to the East.

Hopefully just to test fire some missiles.

Japan has sent North Korea a stern, but polite letter.

This is what happens when you let Dennis Rodman travel places. He spends a few days in North Korea and a few weeks later they want to nuke his country of origin :funny:

Well, North Korea is only just getting broadcasts of World Championship Wrestling now: they probably want to destroy Rodman, Hulk Hogan and the rest of the despised New World Order.

That reminds me of a crazy story I heard years ago on NPR. I can't remember who it was, but a US diplomat or official of some sort who met with Kruschev in the 60's got along with him really well. Before they parted, Kruschev asked him where he was from and he said "St Paul, Minnesota" (actually I can't recall the exact city, but for the sake of the story...). So Kruschev pulled out a giant map and put a red dot over St Paul. He then said "okay, when we nuke your country, I will remember to spare St Paul."

Understood, but the high school senior has an assault rifle in comparison, and his homies might pull out their burners too.

:funny: That's where your analogy falls apart: the senior's "homies" aren't exactly as big and tough as he is, and could actually get beaten up by the sixth grader.

The USA is Rudy from Monster Squad, and everyone else is Horace, Eugene, Phoebe or the elderly Holocaust survivor.

Monster... wha?

Anyway, NK is wholly unique. It's very hard to use it in an analogy. It's definitely the most complicated (and perhaps reckless) enemy the US has ever dealt with. They make Iran look sensible and open by comparison.

:funny: That's where your analogy falls apart: the senior's "homies" aren't exactly as big and tough as he is, and could actually get beaten up by the sixth grader.

The USA is Rudy from Monster Squad, and everyone else is Horace, Eugene, Phoebe or the elderly Holocaust survivor.

Since when is North Korea tougher than a Holocaust survivor? :hehe: They got those crazy eyes but that's about it.

Dennis Rodman probably showed Kim Jong Un Team America thinking it would be funny and Kim Jong got red in the face with anger.

Rodman is lucky he escaped with his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"