The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

I don’t normally know when a 7s tournament is on and also where I can watch it. I really love it when I do see it.

Welsh rugby about to implode any time now...

5 finals in a row. I'm not sure what the record is but that must be close.
The US team has got to 5 finals in a row? Wow, I didn’t realise they had got that good.

They beat us, All Black 7s in Vegas last week. No doubt about it they have gone from pretenders to contenders !

A mixture of athletic talent and good coaching, I suspect - motivated by the goal of an Olympic gold. They're not quite Fiji, but have become a top 5 team in a couple of years.

Yo, @Iceman

Okay. Now I have to be a Jason Momoa fan ! Check this out.

Actor Jason Momoa's All Blacks jersey once belonged to Zinzan Brooke

1552447002337.jpg

Not only is he supporting our team but wearing a jersey that belonged to a rugby legend - Zinzan Brooke !

How's the 6 Nations shaping up ?

I believe that England and Wales are about to duke it out - with Wales hopes of a Grand Slam on the line. Is that right ?

Down here the local derby Highlanders vs Crusaders has a massive shadow cast over it by yesterdays terror attack in Christchurch. Still looking forward to the game.....which has now been cancelled. That's a good thing, a sign of respect for the victims TBH the whole country is in mourning at the moment.

Last edited:
How's the 6 Nations shaping up ?

I believe that England and Wales are about to duke it out - with Wales hopes of a Grand Slam on the line. Is that right ?

Down here the local derby Highlanders vs Crusaders has a massive shadow cast over it by yesterdays terror attack in Christchurch. Still looking forward to the game.....which has now been cancelled. That's a good thing, a sign of respect for the victims TBH the whole country is in mourning at the moment.
I didn’t see this earlier but it’s all over now and Wales have done it, grand slam winners!

Oh yes, that’s understandable. Horrible
thing to have happened now to you guys.

Awful tragedy. Senseless. RIP to those who we've lost & our thoughts and prayers to the families affected.
There was a minutes silence as a mark of respect in the games I believe. Touched home for some in Wales, given our NZ connection through Gatland & Hadleigh Parkes.
Fantastic achievement though, which puts us in good form for the WC.

Awful tragedy. Senseless. RIP to those who we've lost & our thoughts and prayers to the families affected.
There was a minutes silence as a mark of respect in the games I believe. Touched home for some in Wales, given our NZ connection through Gatland & Hadleigh Parkes.
Fantastic achievement though, which puts us in good form for the WC.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and
Congratulations on the Grand Slam.

Do you think Wales can sustain this form into the RWC ? I would love to see someone other than NZ, Aussie or S.A. win this time. Just looked at the pools - Wales should advance from the pool stage easily but have a tough quarter final against England or France and possibly a semi final against the All Blacks, which is a problem as you haven't beaten us since 1953.
Still anything can happen at the RWC.

Well done again on the Grand Slam!

thank you my friend, the whole world is behind you guys.

The WC will be interesting, as you said, we don't have an easy path after the groups, but as our form shows, we've almost forgotten how to lose and that comes from Gatland. I know plenty of people who would have seen him gone years ago, but he's got the team so well drilled & confident in themselves, that I think in a one off game, we could actually beat anyone. If we get NH teams up to the semi's, we might have a chance.

The biggest threat will be pre-tournament injuries and selection issues with several key players not playing in Wales.

You guys are still obviously clear favourites. How's your preparation coming?

thank you my friend, the whole world is behind you guys.

The WC will be interesting, as you said, we don't have an easy path after the groups, but as our form shows, we've almost forgotten how to lose and that comes from Gatland. I know plenty of people who would have seen him gone years ago, but he's got the team so well drilled & confident in themselves, that I think in a one off game, we could actually beat anyone. If we get NH teams up to the semi's, we might have a chance.

The biggest threat will be pre-tournament injuries and selection issues with several key players not playing in Wales.

You guys are still obviously clear favourites. How's your preparation coming?

Good question. The Crusaders, our top super rugby team were on a 19 game winning streak until the massacre- after which the next game was cancelled and they took a draw. Last week they lost to the Warratahs, and looked very flat, and were missing s couple of key players. This week they were back to their form and crushed the Hurricanes 32 -8.

I mention the Crusaders as they are currently our best indication of preparedness - no AllBlack matches until later in the year.
The other Nz super rugby sides are hit and miss.

As such we have the personnel to retain the cup, but will we gel as a team at the right time. Unlike 2015 we don't have McCaw and Carter who were talismanic players - they could change a game by themselves and lifted the rest of the team.

I suspect that if we had a couple of key injuries and faced an inspired top level Northern hemisphere team and had a key ref call go against us ( try disallowed or yellow/red card) then we would go down in a quarter or semi. If we make it to the final we'll likely win.

While we're the favourites going in I'll be surprised if we win.

Cheers !

Wow ! Some genius has thought to combine my 2 favourite things....rugby and superheroes.

Okay I thought that this was cool....
GreenLanternTrio-1000x540.jpg

But this takes it up another notch of awesome, check out these SA super rugby tops.

620x349

I have to get some of those jerseys. I'm eyeing up the Bulls' Captain America strip !

i saw those when the Bulls played the Sharks. Looked cool. The Thor one for the Stormers is awesome.

Good question. The Crusaders, our top super rugby team were on a 19 game winning streak until the massacre- after which the next game was cancelled and they took a draw. Last week they lost to the Warratahs, and looked very flat, and were missing s couple of key players. This week they were back to their form and crushed the Hurricanes 32 -8.

I mention the Crusaders as they are currently our best indication of preparedness - no AllBlack matches until later in the year.
The other Nz super rugby sides are hit and miss.

As such we have the personnel to retain the cup, but will we gel as a team at the right time. Unlike 2015 we don't have McCaw and Carter who were talismanic players - they could change a game by themselves and lifted the rest of the team.

I suspect that if we had a couple of key injuries and faced an inspired top level Northern hemisphere team and had a key ref call go against us ( try disallowed or yellow/red card) then we would go down in a quarter or semi. If we make it to the final we'll likely win.

While we're the favourites going in I'll be surprised if we win.

Cheers !

Red the report about the NSW Waratahs. Their upturn in defense is being credited to Steve Tandy, who had several uninspiring years as Ospreys head coach. Good to see him rebuilding his career there.
I have relatives in Australia who support NSW, so always look out for them. Love the RL state of origin games too.

Red the report about the NSW Waratahs. Their upturn in defense is being credited to Steve Tandy, who had several uninspiring years as Ospreys head coach. Good to see him rebuilding his career there.
I have relatives in Australia who support NSW, so always look out for them. Love the RL state of origin games too.

Ronan O'Gara is on the Crusaders coaching staff so there's always some small cross pollination going on between the North and the South.
Back in the day Martin Johnson played down here when he was at school.

Looks like Warren Gatland will oversee his third Lions Tour when they visit South Africa in 2021.

Warren Gatland agrees deal to coach British and Irish Lions for 2021 South Africa tour

Gats was a hot favorite for All Blacks coach when Hansen retires after RWC 2019.

Maybe this means the NZRFU are looking at Scott Robertson ( world champion win as coach of Nz under 20s and back to back super rugby titles with the Crusaders).

2021 is a little way off - although the last Lions side that came down here ( in 2017) had a lot of class I wonder what sort of personnel Gats will have - aren't some key Welsh and Irish players likely to have retired by then ?

Very excited for RWC 2019 - I'm picking a northern vs southern hemisphere final. Hoping a northern team will take it, as it would be good for the game.

On that note, holy crap ! the USA Men's 7s team are ranked number 1 in the world. Definitely the team to watch at the Olympics.

O’Flaherty scored an awesome breakaway try for Exeter. Hopefully someone puts it on YouTube so I can link it.

Gats was a hot favorite for All Blacks coach when Hansen retires after RWC 2019.

Maybe this means the NZRFU are looking at Scott Robertson ( world champion win as coach of Nz under 20s and back to back super rugby titles with the Crusaders).

2021 is a little way off - although the last Lions side that came down here ( in 2017) had a lot of class I wonder what sort of personnel Gats will have - aren't some key Welsh and Irish players likely to have retired by then ?

Very excited for RWC 2019 - I'm picking a northern vs southern hemisphere final. Hoping a northern team will take it, as it would be good for the game.

On that note, holy crap ! the USA Men's 7s team are ranked number 1 in the world. Definitely the team to watch at the Olympics.
I’m looking forward to it a lot.

Also the US winning the 7s could also be good for the game.

I really want to go to an international rugby union match at Twickenham again soon. Got a friend who's interested now.

I really want to go to an international rugby union match at Twickenham again soon. Got a friend who's interested now.

That would be cool. It's such a huge stadium - would be great to see an international or 6 Nations final game there. Hope you get to see one soon!

Super rugby final tonight Crusaders vs Jaguares !

Hopefully we'll see Scott Robertson's traditional victory celebration

But, massive respect to the Jaguares - only been in the competition for 3 years and now appearing in a final, a huge achievement- ( they're pretty much the Argentinian national team, and the Crusaders are a fair chunk of the current All Blacks) some foreshadowing for the Rugby World Cup.

Yo, @Iceman what's going on up there in the Northern Hemisphere ??

I'm trying to stay awake for the game but it will be around 4am here. I know the Jaguares will go in as underdogs but hopefully they can put up a fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"