The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

Yellow card for a SA dump tackle. Dangerous that one with the Japanese guy landing on his head.

Come on Japan! So close.

The atmosphere seems amazing. Great Japan fans.

3 points. The gap is only 1 score for now.

2 points down at half time. Anyone's game. What a first half.

Just feel like the Boks have suffocated Japan. They've played smart, boring rugby in this half.

That's the game. Japan look gassed out.

SA were the better team. Japan have provided great entertainment at this World Cup. I hope they can keep improving and eventually get even further.

SA were the better team. Japan have provided great entertainment at this World Cup. I hope they can keep improving and eventually get even further.

Some interesting team selections on both semi finals this weekend.
I'm going for a NZ v Wales final...

Some interesting team selections on both semi finals this weekend.
I'm going for a NZ v Wales final...

That would be my dream final - but don't underestimate England. Eddie Jones' team have looked very solid. They have crushed all opposition and done so without really playing their best. If ever there was a game where England take it up a notch it could be this one.

Still the ABs have looked impressive, as always, in every match and have a huge depth of talent ( I mean when Sonny Bill Williams and Brodie Retalick are reserves, what does that say about the starting team ?). I'm looking forward to it, a real clash of rugby titans. Can't wait !

As for Wales the media down here have virtually written them off. However, their passion for the game is second to none, and they won't be afraid to mix it up front with the Boks. While the Boks must be favourites going in, based on form, past games do not count, it's what happens tomorrow that counts, and I believe that Wales can upset South Africa if they play their best ( and with Leigh Halfpenny back in the squad anything can happen ! ).

My loyalties are quite torn by this weekend's games ( my dad's English, my mother was Welsh and I've lived in NZ for nearly 25 years - and since 1995 I've always enjoyed the Springboks' style of play). In short I like all the teams involved.

So, while the most likely outcome is an NZ v SA final, I hope for the sake of the world's best sport that we have a team from each hemisphere in there - and I'm hoping for NZ v Wales. Cymru am byth ! Kia kaha Aotearoa !

Last edited:
Really looking forward to tomorrow and hope we get a great match. In both games I think England and Wales are underdogs with a chance of winning if they play their best. If all the teams play at the same level, then NZ and SA go through.

Really looking forward to tomorrow and hope we get a great match. In both games I think England and Wales are underdogs with a chance of winning if they play their best. If all the teams play at the same level, then NZ and SA go through.

Just saw Brian O Driscoll interviewed by NZ media. He commented that outside of NZ everyone is probably cheering for someone else to win the cup - for the good of the game because the ABs are reducing interest. I agree. Even he can't believe that he's actually cheering for England.

New Zealand is generally a great place to live, but like everywhere it has its faults. Folks down here can be a bit short sighted and have very short memories. If the ABs become too dominant they end up harming the very thing that gives them their purpose. If rugby is ever going to grow beyond where it is now and not stagnate it has to draw in more fans.

I would love to see an upset, and failing that a Wales v NZ final !

He's not wrong. Hard to see anyone but the AB's winning this though.

Yup. I'm very realistic about England's chances. Not good. They're a very good team but the ABs have looked next level all tournament and have a bunch of world cup winners on the bench - it will take something special for England to defeat them. Not impossible though.

George Ford is playing today. I guess that was a one off change against Australia to contend with their devastating centres.

Yup. I'm very realistic about England's chances. Not good. They're a very good team but the ABs have looked next level all tournament and have a bunch of world cup winners on the bench - it will take something special for England to defeat them. Not impossible though.
Yeah exactly. NZ is the one team I don’t mind losing to though. Can’t say the same for the Aussies though @jmc :cwink:

Just saw Brian O Driscoll interviewed by NZ media. He commented that outside of NZ everyone is probably cheering for someone else to win the cup - for the good of the game because the ABs are reducing interest. I agree. Even he can't believe that he's actually cheering for England.

New Zealand is generally a great place to live, but like everywhere it has its faults. Folks down here can be a bit short sighted and have very short memories. If the ABs become too dominant they end up harming the very thing that gives them their purpose. If rugby is ever going to grow beyond where it is now and not stagnate it has to draw in more fans.

I would love to see an upset, and failing that a Wales v NZ final !
I get that but it doesn’t feel right to not want the best team playing aggressive attractive rugby to win for me. NZ are worthy of being champions and that comes first for me over trying to grow the game at the expense of what I feel is important in sport. I was thrilled to see Japan do well but it is up to others to get as good as NZ. They should continue doing what they’re doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"