The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Kaleb, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Looking forward to it!

Batmannerism likes this.
  2. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Almost feels like an unofficial start of a new era.
    Ireland & Wales both have new coaches.
    Squads will be quite different to those at the World Cup.
    France going with youth to prepare for 2023.
    Interesting times.
    Pains me to say it but probably an England win, no grand slam.

Iceman likes this.
  3. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Di'awn!! Cael cwrw i mi!!

Batmannerism likes this.
  4. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Is this real Welsh? :D:

Batmannerism likes this.
  5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah all this should make for an interesting insight into what the future holds.

Batmannerism likes this.
  6. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Ydw. Ond mae ei Gymraeg yn well iawn na fy un i ( hanner Cymro dw i ).

Yes, but his Welsh is better than mine ( I'm only half Welsh)

Okay ! Peint o Brains os gwelwch yn dda. Iechyd da !

It's a very good Welsh team. I don't know much about Zammit, but Halfpenny is such a great player ( sad we didn't see much of him at the RWC), as are Tipuric , Biggar and AWJ. Would expect to beat Italy by a comfortable margin.

Iceman likes this.
  7. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Wales up 21 - 0 at the half with a couple of tries to Adams and solid kicking from Biggar. Gwych !

Wow. A comprehensive win, with a hat trick for Adams. Looking forward to Ireland next week, definitely going to be a much tougher and tighter game.

#1657 Batmannerism, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    AverageMan and Iceman like this.
  8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ireland 16-9 up against Scotland.

9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Finishes Ireland 19-12 Scotland.

10. Batmannerism Super-unknown

The Welsh pub had the Irish/Scots game too, but it was about 5:00am, and having had to get up and drive to town for the Welsh game at about 2:00am, I was too tired to stick around and support my Celtic brothers and sisters.

Surprised at the score. It's early days yet, but either Scotland had improved a lot or Ireland is continuing the form slump from RWC 2019. Still expect a very tough encounter with them next weekend.

On a Super Rugby note I was glad to see the Chiefs beat the Blues - there's a new young player in their squad who's a family friend and former student of mine. He'll do well under Warren Gartland's guidance.

On a disappointing note, another former student of mine who I believe is destined for rugby greatness made his Hurricanes debut against the Stormers - the Canes got thrashed 27 - 0, and he picked up a yellow card ! Ugh.

My team the Crusaders handily beat the Warratahs, but I'm going to focus more on 6 nations this year.

@Iceman after RWC 2019 the form teams at 6 Nations look to be England and Wales. Looking forward to Wales' next game to get a better indication of how they'll do. Although, with some key players returning to the squad we are looking very strong. ( @AverageMan hope you enjoyed Adams' hatrick as much as I did, cyffrous ! North looked good at centre - but let's see how he holds up against the Irish and English midfielders, especially Tuilagi. Will be cheering for Wales regardless, Cymru am byth ! )

As for England, if they bring the intensity that they showed against the All Blacks they'll be very hard to stop - such a talented squad.

#1660 Batmannerism, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

France were too much for us. :csad:

Batmannerism likes this.
  12. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Eddie Jones never learns, does he. Absolute brutality?! Ha!
    Shaun Edwards has gone to France as their defence coach and already you can see the difference he's made.
    Wales did well but it was only Italy. Like you say, lets see how North holds up at centre when he actually has some tackling to do. I liked the look of Tompkins, hopefully him & Jon Davies can become a good pairing at centre - haven't been convinced by Hadleigh Parkes.

Iceman and Batmannerism like this.
  13. Batmannerism Super-unknown

To be fair Parkes made a couple of crucial kicks for territory, although Biggar's boot could do little wrong.

I knew Adams was going to be a key player in the game - and Tompkins looked strong indeed.

We'll have a much better indication of where we stand next week.

I suppose France are always the team you underestimate at your peril !

AverageMan likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I'm quite disappointed! Hate losing the first match but at least we can concentrate on trying to go for the title and forget about the grandslam. Guess I'll just enjoy each match on its own merits to be safe.

AverageMan and Batmannerism like this.
  15. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

England Wales will be tasty on Saturday.

Saw a company offering a VIP experience in Cardiff Arms Park (game is in Twickenham) complimentary bar, lunch with Phil Bennett and a tour of the Arms Park for £60. Not bad at all. If it wasn't my sons birthday, I'd be well up for it!!

Batmannerism likes this.
  16. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Dont worry about it - SA dropped a match before winning the RWC. Who knows, maybe this is France's year ( although I hope not).

Iceman likes this.
  17. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

sorry fella's, I got my dates mixed up! Wales Ireland this weekend with England going to Scotland. Still two cracking games.

Batmannerism and Iceman like this.
  18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Wales Ireland could be a cracker!

Batmannerism likes this.
  19. jolldan Registered

20. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Mae'n mynd i gem caled, ond Cymru mynd i ennill ! Tompkins is starting at centre - a big test for him against the powerful Irish midfield.

No matter how it turns out it will be a terrific contest.

A picture paints a thousand words!

I support Wales over all other teams, win or lose, but don't have anything against the English team and have cheered for them many times - even against the All Blacks. I enjoy their brutal, grinding style of rugby ( sort of a Northern hemisphere version of the Springboks) and I was howling for them all the way through the 2019 RWC semifinal 2003 RWC final ( although Australia are possibly the one team I don't feel able to support).

What I love about Wales, besides the singing, is that its main asset is passion for the game. Wales is smaller than New Zealand ( who are the ultimate rugby over achievers) and doesn't have the same ability to poach the very best Pacific Islands players - but still Wales manages to be highly competitive at a world level. 4th place at 2 rugby world cups is impressive for any country. To me, more than any other team Wales personifies the spirit of rugby, pride but also humility and that's what gets them through. Okay, I'll stop before I start singing Mae hen wlad fy nhadau.

Usually England are a rugby powerhouse and seeing them as the team to beat only makes sense . Of course, there is plenty of non-rugby-related and very ugly history between England, France, Scotland, Wales and of course Ireland , and that's part of the background that frames these contests - and a reason why the Lions tradition should continue.

What does annoy me is the sense of arrogance that certain English players exhibit, and occasionally their coaches - something the All Blacks don't do, despite their amazing record. There have been some real gentlemen in English rugby, but also more than a fair share of boof-heads and loud mouths. For every Jonny Wilkinson they seem to have 5 James Haskells ( although I suppose that Dylan Hartley was born in New Zealand, and Haskell can be pretty funny at times).

Also, with respect to losing to France, people seem to forget that probably the number one unwritten rule in international test rugby is NEVER UNDERESTIMATE FRANCE ! I've seen the All Blacks humbled by them too often, and knocked out of the RWC ( and we're talking about real legendary All Black teams including one with Christian Cullen and Jonah Lomu).

Previous form means nothing when you face France, they may have played like crap the week before but if they gel as a team on the day then literally nobody can beat them. I would love to see France win the RWC, having come second 3 times now, I think it would do a lot for the game - given the money that's behind French rugby.

Anyway, I'm off to the Welsh pub at 0300 tomorrow to watch Wales v Ireland and if I'm not too tired maybe stick around for the English game - Scotland should be really wary as England will be hungry for an emphatic win to reestablish some pride, so I expect a particularly unfriendly match.

Loving 6 Nations 2020 so far. Pob hwyl !

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Ireland 19-7 up with 10 minutes to go!

Batmannerism likes this.
  22. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Ugh ! Ych a fi ! Fair play to Ireland, they were the better team. Wales made too many errors and kicked away too much possession. We'll have to play better against France in 2 weeks.

Going to watch a little bit of England v Scotland - interested to see how England bounces back from last weekend's defeat.

Cheers !

Iceman likes this.
  23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Pretty narrow margin for England against Scotland in very poor conditions.

Batmannerism likes this.
  24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

England are 20-9 up against Wales at half-time. I’m happy with that after our patchy form recently.

Batmannerism likes this.
  25. Batmannerism Super-unknown

England 's execution just a bit better than ours - and both those tries were well worked, so fair play to England for the halftime score . We'll need to lift our game to match Itoje and Laws who have been monstrous in defence.

Looks like 2020 is a rebuilding year for Wales, after last year's grand slam.

Still, the game is only half done.....

Iceman likes this.