The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Kaleb, Feb 14, 2015.

1. jmc away for a while

I've been out of the loop working. What's the status of the games that have resumed? Is the play good or are the players rusty?

Batmannerism likes this.
  2. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

@Batmannerism
    Scarlets have appointed Sean Fitzpatrick as a non executive director & global ambassador this week. I think he held/holds a similar position at Harlequins too.

Batmannerism likes this.
  3. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Yeah I saw that. An interesting move. I think Fitzy has been in the UK for a while now. While he was one of the greatest All Black captains ever, not sure how that will translate to the Scarlets' success.
    He's pretty sensible though, so it can't really hurt them.

Hope things are getting back to normal for you.

Hwyl fawr !

#1703 Batmannerism, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  4. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I can only comment on the NZ competition - the play looks pretty good, I think injuries might be slightly higher than usual. The Crusaders are gearing up to win, while the Chiefs have had a bad run.

Not sure about the Australian or South African competitions, or what the Sunwolves or Jaguares are up to.

What's been great is seeing some historical matches. Watched an Auckland Blues vs Queensland Reds match from 2003 last week - Carlos Spencer was playing, such a talented and unpredictable player ( even for his own teammates).

Hope things are well in your part of the world. Cheers.

5. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

That North v South game was amazing!!! So much strength in depth there. How are things with you @Batmannerism

Iceman and Batmannerism like this.
  6. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Eitha da diolch ! Dw i'n gobeithio bod ti, a dy teulu di, yn iach.

Yeah, what a game. Some of the AB backs of tomorrow are frighteningly talented - what an exciting finish too, a perfect kick across !

If you've caught much super rugby aotearoa ( is it on S4C ?) it's been a great competition, as expected the Crusaders were too strong for everyone.

I've lost track of what's going on up there, rugby wise - although Alun Wyn Jones could probably use a rest, if he's going to beat McCaw's record for international appearances.

Cadw saff !

AverageMan likes this.
  7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Do any of you guys watch cricket? The cricket thread is dying off. :csad:

AverageMan likes this.
  8. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

Ha!!! yeah, I've been watching the T20's. Not County stuff though.

Batmannerism likes this.
  9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Nice. I thought there might be some crossover between rugby and cricket fans

If you or any others are interested: The Cricket Thread

AverageMan likes this.
  10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

You think the next generation of All Blacks will be no.1 too?

Batmannerism likes this.
  11. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Well, they're pretty talented - and a deal has been reached to restart the rugby championship again - it'll be based in Australia.

There is tons of rugby talent here. However, will they be a cohesive team ?I mean a lot of them will be drawn from the Crusaders team who have dominated super rugby since 2017 with 3 ( now 4) consecutive wins. Australian rugby was in disarray and I don't know about the Boks but they're world no 1 right now.

It would be nice to see the ABs as under dogs again but who knows what will happen?

Iceman likes this.
  12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

The quality of the rugby seems so high there and you must have ridiculous strength in depth. I’ll try watching more of these as I know they pop up on Sky. I’ve always wanted NZ to win against Aus or SA. :hehe:

Batmannerism likes this.
  13. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I believe it's because the game gets a lot of support at a grass roots level, we plunder the best players from Pacific Island Nations and of course the talent of Maori players.

Every tiny settlement has a a rugby club of some description, so the game is very strong - soccer is very much a second tier sport here.

It's good for the game when the All Blacks lose occasionally -I think it would have been disastrous if they had won the RWC last year.

Iceman likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, I tend to like watching players of the Pacific Islands or Maori background as they are often so awesome physically. :cool:

I see your points about NZ domination not necessarily being good for the wider development of the game, but I can’t help supporting them once England are out. :cwink:

Batmannerism likes this.
  15. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I support Wales, even against the All Blacks. England beating them last year was a great thing for both world and NZ rugby- it will shake up some of our complacency and remind other countries that the ABs are not invincible ( just very difficult to beat) . However it's also good for rugby if the ABs win a lot, because it makes then the team to beat.

What's going on with Owen Farrell at the moment ? Hasn't he copped a big ban for a swinging arm tackle ?

Mind you @AverageMan George North ( Mr ci selsig ) got red carded recently and he seems like the nicest guy. On a related note my mam's family were from Pontlotyn, would that make me a Dragons supporter?

I know Pro14 is up and running now, is anything happening with the Rugby premiership?

As you will have seen , Super rugby Aotearoa has wrapped, and they're looking at a Rugby Championship, based in Aussie, later this year.

Iceman likes this.
  16. Batmannerism Super-unknown

@AverageMan , @Iceman , @jmc !

Gentlemen! Huge news:

South Africa votes to leave Super Rugby

The South African Super Rugby Teams Lions, Sharks, Bulls and Stormers are heading North to join the Pro 14.

This is a massive loss for us down here - the SA Super Rugby sides are very tough, and without players of that calibre to play against the overall Southern game is diminished - the Springboks will still play against us and Australia but our Super Rugby season will change quite a bit - I wonder if a second Japanese team will join ?

As for the North.... in a word, ouch ! South Africàn teams are known for their pace and brutal level of contact. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact they make ( both long and short term).

AverageMan likes this.
  17. jmc away for a while

Seemed inevitable really. Rugby needs a complete head to tie reboot.

Batmannerism likes this.
  18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Damn, that is a huge loss. Hopefully it works out for the best for all concerned.

Batmannerism likes this.
  19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Tuilagi rules out for 6 months with injury. :csad:

Batmannerism likes this.
  20. AverageMan Fighting for Average men

That is a big shake up. I wonder what the rationale behind it was & who pushed for it? No doubt it will improve the quality of the Pro 14 - but as you say @Batmannerism to the apparent detriment of the Super Rugby competition. It also blurs the lines between the traditional Northern/Southern hemisphere divide.
    More than likely Japanese/Argentinian clubs will make up the places in Super Rugby?

Batmannerism and Iceman like this.
  21. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Part of the rationale we've been given is the time difference is far less between the UK and SA and between SA and Aussie or NZ. It's probably cheaper in terms of overall travel. Maybe the SA teams can establish camps in the UK to minimize travel ?

I'm sure that money is driving this more than anything else. SA has experienced a player drain to the UK, Ireland and France for a while now, maybe this will ameliorate that a bit.

Anyway, I see parts of Wales are back in lockdown felly cadw saff ! Hwyl fawr !

AverageMan and Iceman like this.
  22. Batmannerism Super-unknown

@AverageMan @jmc @Iceman @jolldan

My friends ! How are Pro 14 and European rugby going ? I see Scarlets and Ospreys had a rough week although Dragons and Cardiff won their games.

Just watched the Bledisloe game ( NZ vs Aussie), a much better perfomance from NZ ( and a lot of errors for Aussie)- but the real story of the game was Caleb Clarke ( son of former All Black Eroni Clarke). Already I see Wales online and the Aussies calling him the next Jonah Lomu. I have heard that comparison before- and in all honesty always rejected it.....until maybe now.

Clarke is not a human bulldozer like Lomu was, but his speed and strength are something to see. 138 running meters, double any other player on either side, and 11 line breaks. He always draws 2-3 defenders to stop him. The guy is something else.
    I haven't been this excited about an AB winger since the great Joe Rokocoko.

Clarke didn't score a try but set up a few and broke the Aussie lines apart. Every time he got the ball something exciting happened. He even did some good work at the breakdown - unheard of for a winger !

Anyway someone to look out for. Cheers, hope you are all well.

23. jmc away for a while

Aussies, as usual, play a good first test then completely capitulate in the second. I'm no longer even mad about the Bledisloe cup, I've moved from anger, to sadness to acceptance, lol.

Batmannerism likes this.
  24. Batmannerism Super-unknown

The first test was Australia's - if the ball hadn't hit the post on Hodge's penalty kick, it would have been 19-16. Only luck made it a draw.

Nick White wasn't as effective the second game, I suspect the forwards are not giving him a platform at scrum time or at the breakdowns - that young no 6 looked good, Hooper had a better game than I've seen in a while. Honestly I think the loss came down to an inability to contain Caleb Clarke, who made 11 or 12 line breaks and always needed 2 defenders to be put down.

The ABs are nigh invincible at Eden Park, but I would be surprised if we don't see a turnaround when the scene shifts to Australia. So hang in there.

25. Batmannerism Super-unknown

@AverageMan tough result against France. I feel like we're in a rebuilding phase since the RWC. I'm not going to worry unless we're still looking shaky in 2022. Every team has its ups and downs. Last year 6 Nations Champs, 2020 has not been our year.

Anybody else catch the NRL grand final ? Melbourne Storm vs Penrith Panthers, great game with a very exciting ending.