The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's another question. Is the Batman who is in "Batman" the same Batman who is in "Detective Comics"? That goes for other characters too. Or is each series a separate universe?
There's only one Batman, Superman, Flash, etc. Each title is a different story/adventure for the character based solely on their popularity. Why are there 7 Batman titles a month? Because they can sell 7 Batman titles a month. And each title typically (or at least tries to) have a different mission statement or focus so it doesn't feel like the same book over and over. 'Batman' are his solo adventures. 'Batman and Robin' are adventures about Batman and Robin. 'Detective Comics' usually lean more towards mystery/crime cases and are more grounded in "reality" than 'Batman' but that's not always the case. You get the idea.

There's only one Batman, Superman, Flash, etc. Each title is a different story/adventure for the character based solely on their popularity. Why are there 7 Batman titles a month? Because they can sell 7 Batman titles a month. And each title typically (or at least tries to) have a different mission statement or focus so it doesn't feel like the same book over and over. 'Batman' are his solo adventures. 'Batman and Robin' are adventures about Batman and Robin. 'Detective Comics' usually lean more towards mystery/crime cases and are more grounded in "reality" than 'Batman' but that's not always the case. You get the idea.

Always wondered what are some of the differences between the new 52 Batman titles are. So Detective Comics features more of Batman "the Detective" solving mysteries and of course 'Batman and Robin' are adventures about Batman and Robin so what's the difference between the "Batman" title and "Batman: The Dark Knight"?

Oh. My. Fu**ing. God. One more reason not to read New Guardians, I hate this kind of *****. I thought it was already too much considering Ganthet actually chose him for a reason, somehow, I thought it was better to choose him randomly. Now this. :cmad:
Soranik actually appeared in GL 23 taking care of the wounded.
I didn't mind the change to Ganthet's selection of Kyle. The way it's portrayed now, he seems to have had some vague idea that Kyle might be special, which kind of makes sense given that he's now the first White Lantern who actually earned it (as opposed to Sinestro, who was a fluke, and the universe or whatever resurrecting Alec Holland in Brightest Day to serve a specific purpose).

What I did mind was the new status quo of Ganthet having a kind of fatherly relationship with Kyle. I really liked that idea, since it kept Kyle kind of special among the Corps in that a Guardian had a personal bond with him, which made up for essentially wiping out a lot of his post-Crisis history as the lone Green Lantern in the universe. But then, in the same arc they introduce that concept, Ganthet turns evil and gets killed off. I really wish they'd had some more time to explore Ganthet and Kyle's relationship instead of introducing and then effectively nullifying it all at once.

Always wondered what are some of the differences between the new 52 Batman titles are. So Detective Comics features more of Batman "the Detective" solving mysteries and of course 'Batman and Robin' are adventures about Batman and Robin so what's the difference between the "Batman" title and "Batman: The Dark Knight"?
I don't fully understand it honestly. In 'Batman' Snyder has been telling long, very focused stories that have effected Bruce personally- first the Court of Owls, the Death of the Family, and now retelling his origin why he puts on the mask. 'Batman: The Dark Knight', though I haven't read it seems to be just adventures that highlight his famous rogues. Originally it was the titled that featured the return of Bruce Wayne Batman when Dick Grayson Batman was still the star of 'Batman', 'Detective', and 'Batman and Robin'. Personally I feel it's lost its appeal and purpose since the New 52.

I don't fully understand it honestly. In 'Batman' Snyder has been telling long, very focused stories that have effected Bruce personally- first the Court of Owls, the Death of the Family, and now retelling his origin why he puts on the mask. 'Batman: The Dark Knight', though I haven't read it seems to be just adventures that highlight his famous rogues. Originally it was the titled that featured the return of Bruce Wayne Batman when Dick Grayson Batman was still the star of 'Batman', 'Detective', and 'Batman and Robin'. Personally I feel it's lost its appeal and purpose since the New 52.
Perhaps that's the reason the guys at the comic book store said 'Batman: The Dark Knight' isn't worth the read.

Perhaps that's the reason the guys at the comic book store said 'Batman: The Dark Knight' isn't worth the read.
Yeah I don't know anyone who reads it, but if you like seeing Batman battle his villains without worrying about heavy continuity that seems to be what people buy. For instance, I'm not even sure if that book acknowledged the death of Damian when you saw how it effected Bruce in every other book.

Not really anything to say. The writer wanted it one way, the people in charge decided that the DCU didn't start until like less than 10 years ago or whatever. There having been Starmen and all that other stuff can't have happened cuz there was no such thing as a Superhero until Superman got a buncha shirts made and started beating up crooked businessmen and wife beaters while wearing his indestructible blankie.

Therefore it's stuck in this weird holding pattern of, it was written, but it can't really fit in the universe because it doesn't fit. Had they took the time to plan this s**t instead of just rebooting and trying to figure out the detail later, it woulda took place on Earth II or something.

So in my quest to get into comics what are some good Batman reads? I've just read the original A Death in the Family. I know about Year One, Year 100, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Knightfall Saga, Hush, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, No Man's Land. Are there any other important reads?

The one that follows the Long Halloween. Dark Victory.

Robin Year One is pretty good too. And I guess Morrison's run.

As much as I love Morrison's run I don't know how new reader friendly it really is. It works much better when you have really read your fair share of Batman for it to really click.

Since it calls back, homages and reinvents so many concepts and characters from the Golden Age (Ie: Bruce Wayne and Gordon chatting at the station), Silver Age (Ie: Bat Mite, Zur Ehn Arh), Bronze Age (Ie: Tales of the Demon) and even Modern Age (Ie: Dark Knight, Dark City and Son of the Demon).

Part of it's charm to me anyway was how it gets Batman readers in touch with their inner Batman by making them play detective. As someone who's been reading Bat books since the late 80's and owns a fair share of the Batman Archives & other golden, silver and bronze age stories not collected in those archives; going back through my collection whenever I saw references was a lot of fun. I would peruse through my collection fishing for clues and spend hours trying to piece how it would fall into context with Morrison's narrative. It was a blast. That interactive element of it is missed if your Batman publishing history knowledge is not that vast and a lot of those concepts could fly over your head and leave you confused.

So I would suggest simpler stand alone stories like War on Crime, Turning Points or Batman EGO and if you want to continue going through "essential" & "important" tales then stuff like A Lonely Place of Dying or The Dark Knight Returns before diving head first into the Morrison epic.

Last edited:
War Games is also a very awesome Batman story. It features the more psychotic Batman. Very good stuff.

I didn't care for War Games. I thought War Crimes was great, but you'd obviously have to read War Games for any of it to mean something.

What I did mind was the new status quo of Ganthet having a kind of fatherly relationship with Kyle. I really liked that idea, since it kept Kyle kind of special among the Corps in that a Guardian had a personal bond with him, which made up for essentially wiping out a lot of his post-Crisis history as the lone Green Lantern in the universe. But then, in the same arc they introduce that concept, Ganthet turns evil and gets killed off. I really wish they'd had some more time to explore Ganthet and Kyle's relationship instead of introducing and then effectively nullifying it all at once.
Yeah, I see you point. Making those big changes and nullifying some aspects (too many of them) makes me sometimes wonder if they should not just create new characters or really start from zero. Maybe they'll develop this aspect you're describing in the future *hoping sigh*

Didn't like War Games either. Didn't care for War Crimes as well. Matter of fact I consider that entire period from Broken City up until the beginning of Morrison's run to be a low point in Batman's publishing history. A lot of those stories failed to connect with me as a reader.

I know a lot of people hate on it but Judd Winnick's run was my favorite since I started reading Batman during Hush. It's a shame it got tied in to Inifinite Crisis. No, I did not like Grant Morrison's run. Except for a handful of issues here and there I didn't care for anything Morrison did for the character.

But honestly I've been reading Batman now for 11(ish) years and there aren't many stories that I've loved as much as the animated series. My favorite stories have been by Paul Dini (surprise), the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale stories, Matt Wagner, and now the stories by Scott Snyder.

Quite honestly, I consider Paul Dini's Batman: Detective some of the finest Batman stuff of the last 10 years.

6926_400x600.jpg

6 brilliant standalone stories, drawn by different artists, exploring Batman and his world. They're also refreshingly unconnected to what was going on with the rest of the books.
Basically, perfect for old fans AND folks who are new to the character and just want to read some Batman.

*Oh! And it also features "Slayride", one of the greatest Joker stories ever written.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna check out my library, I know they have most of the ones I mentioned.

So in my quest to get into comics what are some good Batman reads? I've just read the original A Death in the Family. I know about Year One, Year 100, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Knightfall Saga, Hush, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, No Man's Land. Are there any other important reads?

Not too sure if you'd call them important but I'd recommend: Dark Victory, Heart of Hush, Streets of Gotham (Hush Money, Leviathan, House of Hush), New 52's Detective Comics 13-23 (nothing before 13) and The Black Mirror.

Just finished reading the first volume of Morrison's JLA and thought it was pretty awesome. It's tempted me to go back to re-reading(and completing) his Batman run. So I have a question about reading order. I found a few websites with some great lists, but there's a problem when it comes to Batman #682, 683 and 701-702.

I figure it makes more sense for 701-702 to follow immediately after RIP which leads rather seamlessly into Return of Bruce Wayne #1, although most people break those up with the first 9 or 12 issues of Batman & Robin.

I can't really find a solid spot to put 682 and 683. I suppose one could put them between 701 and 702. I know there was a solid reading list put together by JewishHobbit I think it was. What does everyone else do to read it?

Personally, I really liked War Games, i loved it even, maybe because it was one of my first Batman reads outside of the classics, TDKR, TKJ and Y1. I just really dug it.

Morrison's Batman remains the best run i have ever read. I didn't like Batman and Son much, not because it was prose and not an actual comic but for Damien's yet under explored character.....well he pissed me off. Although from Black Glove and forward i consider Morrison to be pure gold as a Batman writer. Not newbie friendly though. I would recommend the Batman : The greatest stories ever told (it was some great 60s Batman) before reading his run, also the Black Casebook. Just to see where he is coming from.

PS : Am I the only one who finds Man who Laughs a really mediocre story that isn't really worthy of being Batman's first encounter with the Joker ? Brubaker has a very weird voice for the Joker. It isn't really wrong but something isn't very right with it. Very "on the surface". He doesn't really dig for more. On the trade it comes with a Batman/Alan Scott story called Made of Wood. Much better written with better art. A lot better art actually. The story is coloured beautifully and the art isn't sketchy at all.

I definitely adore Morrison's run and, for me, it likely won't be topped. But as for it not being new reader friendly I'd say you could plunge in with fairly low level knowledge, as everything is introduced in a way to explain things to readers not familiar with Silver-Age characters and concepts. Honestly you could probably just read highlights of The Black Casebook.

Did DC release the supposed timeline of the stories they kept canon post-new 52 already?

Don't think so, and the stories that are canon are becoming fewer and fewer every day. I disregard their continuity and substitute my own.

I jumped into Morrison's run with zero silver age knowledge (hardly any DC knowledge) and got it. The only parts that confused me had to do with Final Crisis more than Batman. R.I.P. was a little weird to grasp also, but not too bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"