The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Darthphere, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Corp, you the man for indulging my insecurities and low self-esteem.

DC Stupid questions thread 2.0 featuring variant covers by zombie Michael Turner.

Fire away!

2. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I irreversibly deleted the previous thread, too. It's in the fiery pit of oblivion now, never to return.

3. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

The new thread is being delayed waiting on Jim Lee to finish his pencils.

4. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Jim Lee?! Well, at least it's not John Cassaday. *continues waiting for final issue of Planetary*

I joke, of course. Ellis announced that Cassaday finished that issue in March. Anyone know why the hell it hasn't come out yet?

5. CBG Registered

Planetary #27 is solicited to come out in October.

Most likely will be pushed back to 2010.

6. WompuM Esquire

I have a question, why is Drakon all up on Corp's turf?

7. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Bwuh? I don't know what you're talking about, but technically my turf is Drak's turf. I'm just like a groundskeeper for it.
    Just 'cause Ellis likes to f*** with us, I imagine. In spite of the announcement, I'm still bracing myself for the eventuality that we never actually see that mythical final issue of Planetary, and I'll keep doing so until I've got it in my grubby paws.

And then, of course, watch it end on a cliffhanger with a final page of Ellis going "got ya!" :dry:

8. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

If that happened, I'd denounce my fandom of Warren Ellis. I'd stop buying Astonishing X-Men and burn away my NextWave, Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Ignition City, Global Frequency, the Authority, and he can forget about me ever reading anything else by him.

9. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Eh, I'm not as wild about Ellis as most people anyway. I'd probably still continue to read a few things by him.

10. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

11. Ace of Knaves Registered

Is there Monitors in our universe as well as the anti matter universe? Would they play a role in Blackest Night?

12. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

I think all the Monitors became human at the end of Final Crisis.

13. WompuM Esquire

Plus, I don't think anyone but Morrison likes the idea of them. Johns sure as hell doesn't.

14. sethcohen still beats hal...

i thought all the monitors ceased to exist at the end of FC?

15. sethcohen still beats hal...

there was one anti monitor... exposure to his power caused scar to "die" and become the black lantern guardian... which sort of started all this... the anti monitor's body is trapped inside the black lantern battery... possibly powering their corps

16. sdc10 Registered

Is "mystery of the star sapphire" in any GL collections? Or was it just like a short 2 or 3 part filler story?

17. WompuM Esquire

I think it's in TPB format now. If not now, soon.

18. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

It's collected in the Wanted: Hal Jordan trade.

Continued from the last thread!
    I believe you're thinking of the Superman/Batman Annual #1, detailing the origin of their partnership. Batman tells him, before he learns Superman's real identity, that he's memorized every college yearbook and that one day he'll find "that chin." This doesn't faze Superman, and later (after the identity is revealed), he tells Bruce that he blurs his features in photographs. It is not mentioned whether he does it as Superman or Clark, but considering that Batman specifically mentions that he's been looking in college yearbooks, it makes no sense that he does it as Superman.

19. Spike_x1 Get off my bandwagon!

God only knows how much of that Annual is canon too. Really, the glasses and the mild mannered way that he carries himself as Clark, compared to the larger than life persona of Superman, has worked for decades now, and it should be all the disguise he needs in a world where suspension of disbelief goes with the territory. If they try to make it any more complicated than that, then they run into any number of problems.

Clark is a novelist and famous journalist, so wouldn't he surely have had his picture taken for publications here and there that focused on his work? And really, he's had his picture taken side by side with shapeshifting friends who posed as either Clark or Superman at the time, like when "Clark" was rescued from the rubble of Doomsday's rampage and had his picture taken beside Superman. In that instance, Clark was really the matrix Supergirl. Also, When Superman and Bizarro switched bodies, Biz went to work as Clark, but everyone could tell that it wasn't Clark, and wondered why Bizarro would switch bodies with Kent of all people. They almost put two and two together before the Martian Manhunter showed up posing as Superman. On both of those occasions Clark and Superman stood together and welcomed having their picture taken by Jimmy (a professional award winning photographer). It probably wouldn't be good for Olsen's career and reputation if he were unable to focus on either Clark or Superman's face because they were blurring their features.

20. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Justifying why the average person can't tell Clark is Superman is easy. How many people here would instantly recognize a Pulitzer winning journalist if you saw them right now? Clark could likely walk around without glasses with no problem.

Just try justifying why Lois couldn't tell. You just can't help but wonder how many times she had to sleep with Superman before realizing he bares a striking resemblance to her co-worker/rival Clark Kent.

21. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Okay seriously though, how many famous journalists and novelists can you all recognize by sight? Seriously, think of your favorite contemporary novelist. Then try to picture his or her general age, height, build, hair style, hair color, eye color, anything.

I'll grant it's strange that people who work often with both Clark and Superman don't figure it out...and even then, like you said, many of them have seen Clark and Superman at the same time before, and it's suggested that quite a few of them like Perry White has figured it out by now anyway. But for the rest of the world? Not that big a stretch.

And, also, add to all this the notion that most people don't even think that Superman has a secret identity. Kyle Rayner, who worked with him for years, never even considered it. He doesn't wear a mask, and it's public knowledge that he lives in his Fortress when he's not working.

22. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

God knows that the belief that a superhero doesn't have a secret identity is exactly why no one has figured out Diana's yet. Diana Prince has existed for, what, a year? 2 years? She doesn't even make a huge effort to keep it a secret, either. Thank god the Trevors and Tom are there to cover for her.

23. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

I have to say that I don't have any excuse for Jimmy or Lois pre-marriage, beyond borderline autism.

I guess a case could be made that the more they knew Superman and Clark, the less they seemed like each other.

24. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Except Clark didn't alter his behavior that much between personas. At least not at first, post-Crisis era. The more they knew Superman and Clark, the more similarities they should've seen.

25. CBG Registered

If there's any good, Jim Lee alerted that there were talks of reprinting Absolute Planetary Vol. 1.

YES.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.