The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

XII I’ve only played the start of as it came out during a period when I wasn’t gaming much. Good to hear that you prefer it to X as it means more chance I’ll like it given I like X.

Funnily enough same happened with me with X, had around a 20 year hiatus from gaming so couldn’t wait to play it, was shocked at how much I disliked it given the praise it gets.

Would highly recommend XII, it sucked me in straight away and for me the battle system is a great modernised version of turn based. Enjoying the story and characters a lot also and really into it now I have a few summons. Love the license board as a progression system also. Can’t speak for the original but the PS4 version is great.

That was exactly the reply I needed. :D
I’m gonna jump on tonight!

The one thing I cannot wait to hear for the first time is Barrett’s voice.

oooohhh
Yeah, I wouldn't get my hope too high on that one

Barret's voice was super cringe

I may mute the voices in this game and just read subtitles, honestly
After playing it dozens of times back in the day, I have clear voices and cadences in my head for the characters, and its jarring to hear them sound different
Cloud's voice was mostly fine though, so hopefully when Barret stops being so angry and shouting at us, his voice acting improves

Funnily enough same happened with me with X, had around a 20 year hiatus from gaming so couldn’t wait to play it, was shocked at how much I disliked it given the praise it gets.

Would highly recommend XII, it sucked me in straight away and for me the battle system is a great modernised version of turn based. Enjoying the story and characters a lot also and really into it now I have a few summons. Love the license board as a progression system also. Can’t speak for the original but the PS4 version is great.
Great. Thanks for that mate. :up:

20 years away, wow! :D:

I was just a couple of years lol.

A little late to the party, but I just played the demo, and I officially need the full game in my life ASAP. FFVII was THE game for me as a kid, and I honestly just can't wait to relive this story. It's so epic and engrossing, and it's glorious that the technology can finally provide the visuals to match.

Even if they only do the full remake status for VIII I will still be very happy.

X had a tinge of disappointment for me but was still great once I got into it.
I would love to see FFVIII get this treatment as well. VII is forever my fave, but I loved both VIII and IX almost as much. X is where the series lost me.

I would love to see FFVIII get this treatment as well. VII is forever my fave, but I loved both VIII and IX almost as much. X is where the series lost me.
FF ruled gaming during this era. It was THE game that decided which console I bought and I’m sure that applied to many other people too. I think VII is the pinnacle for the majority, but VIII is slightly ahead for me. I had some initial disappointment with IX going back to the cute-style graphics but I need to give that a chance and play through it fully. Finally playing through and completing both IX and XII and are very high on my to do list.

A little late to the party, but I just played the demo, and I officially need the full game in my life ASAP. FFVII was THE game for me as a kid, and I honestly just can't wait to relive this story. It's so epic and engrossing, and it's glorious that the technology can finally provide the visuals to match.

This makes me so happy to hear. Like you FFVII was an amazing experience for me as a kid and like nothing I had ever played before at the time. The news of this remake is what got me back into gaming after 20 years of barely doing any.

FF ruled gaming during this era. It was THE game that decided which console I bought and I’m sure that applied to many other people too. I think VII is the pinnacle for the majority, but VIII is slightly ahead for me. I had some initial disappointment with IX going back to the cute-style graphics but I need to give that a chance and play through it fully. Finally playing through and completing both IX and XII and are very high on my to do list.

I know what you mean about IX and the cutest graphics, that originally put me off as well, but once I got into it, the story was actually quite deep and emotional, and it's honestly not far behind VII for me in terms of best of the franchise. From what I have played at least.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by IX when you get back to it. Once you get used to the cutesy character designs (which were admittedly a turn-off for me as well), the story's pretty epic, and I think it's got more of an old-school adventure spirit than VII and VIII, which I found really endearing.

Man, I really wish all the FF's could get this remake treatment now, lol. I never got to play the older ones that would probably benefit the most from something like this.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by IX when you get back to it. Once you get used to the cutesy character designs (which were admittedly a turn-off for me as well), the story's pretty epic, and I think it's got more of an old-school adventure spirit than VII and VIII, which I found really endearing.

Man, I really wish all the FF's could get this remake treatment now, lol. I never got to play the older ones that would probably benefit the most from something like this.
I’m over the change now. It meant a lot more to me back then as FF was my no.1 game and franchise and I thought they were in the course of moving into new levels of greatness with VIII’s more realistic character models. I’ll be able to enjoy IX on its own merits now, and it’s just been a case of time and circumstance that I haven’t already got to it. I’ve been aware of other people’s very positive opinions on it for a long time.

I know what you mean about IX and the cutest graphics, that originally put me off as well, but once I got into it, the story was actually quite deep and emotional, and it's honestly not far behind VII for me in terms of best of the franchise. From what I have played at least.
Great :up:

Talking about it here is making me want to start lol. I’m a bit too busy to game for a month or 2, but FF IX, XII and XV (first playthrough) are all very high up the list to start, as well as the remakes/remasters of VII and VIII.

So much hype in this trailer, but the post-credit shot is such a tease. :hehe:

Last edited:

How dare you?!?! Vivi was the original baby Yoda! :argh:

n3vLMDu.gif

For me, VII is my favorite, but IX is the best (and also my second favorite). It was the idea behind the ones before VII, just done a lot better imo.

So the game is out in the wild, and has been for a few days. I am about to talk about something that is probably considered a big spoiler, no matter if you played the original or not, so know that if you look at what I about to post under the tag;

There was speculation on what the dementor looking things are. Talk about how the "hold time together". Well it seems killing them means you can "defy" destiny. Sounds like to me, we might just be able to save Aerith in the second game.

How dare you?!?! Vivi was the original baby Yoda! :argh:

n3vLMDu.gif
I actually was not including Vivi in that criticism. I've always loved his look. It's the weird childlike proportions of the other main characters that bugged me.

But that minor complaint aside, still an amazing game.

So the game is out in the wild, and has been for a few days. I am about to talk about something that is probably considered a big spoiler, no matter if you played the original or not, so know that if you look at what I about to post under the tag;

There was speculation on what the dementor looking things are. Talk about how the "hold time together". Well it seems killing them means you can "defy" destiny. Sounds like to me, we might just be able to save Aerith in the second game.
Maybe that explains what appears to be
Zack
in that trailer.

IX is the best huh? I really need to finally play it fully
I never got over it's visual style. it felt like I'm controlling cake slices navigating cake world. Tried to play it several times and dropped not far into.

Skipped through the first half and visuals+sound are mighty impressive. Not crazy about gameplay and writing, though. I also feel the Midgar section became bloated. It was my favorite part in the original game and good pace was part of it. Now even the first reactor trip feels like it lasts forever and barely anything happens beyond the events of the original. Too much filler. But when remake follows the original pretty closely, it's a nice nostalgia trip. Though people who never touched the original in late 90s will probably have a different perspective.

Overall, it doesn't look like a GOTY 2020 contender. But nice love letter to FF7 fans.

Skipped through the first half and visuals+sound are mighty impressive. Not crazy about gameplay and writing, though. I also feel the Midgar section became bloated. It was my favorite part in the original game and good pace was part of it. Now even the first reactor trip feels like it lasts forever and barely anything happens beyond the events of the original. Too much filler. But when remake follows the original pretty closely, it's a nice nostalgia trip. Though people who never touched the original in late 90s will probably have a different perspective.

Overall, it doesn't look like a GOTY 2020 contender. But nice love letter to FF7 fans.
I wasn’t really expecting it to be a game of the year contender but a solid love letter to fans sounds good to me.

I never got over it's visual style. it felt like I'm controlling cake slices navigating cake world. Tried to play it several times and dropped not far into.
That’s part of what put me off at the time. I was really happy when FF VIII used more realistic character models to (in my eyes) improve even further over VII which was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. So to see that revert in IX was an initial disappointment.

That’s part of what put me off at the time. I was really happy when FF VIII used more realistic character models to (in my eyes) improve even further over VII which was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. So to see that revert in IX was an initial disappointment.
I still love VIII's look. Pixels and all. Squall was my husbando during school years. I had a poster on the wall. And VII... I played it in 1998 and at that time it was out of this world.

It seems we are not into chibi art style overall. I personally can tolerate it if everything else is great, but IX somewhat didn't grab me in the first few hours with it's story and world. It's stylish, visually lush, incredibly well-crafted, but... Maybe one day I'll try it once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"