The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

@flickchick85 I’m hearing theres a lot of outrage at Square over the ending and that it ruins everything. Is that usual internet hyperbolic reaction in your opinion or is the ending really that offensive?

no spoilers just curious :)

@flickchick85 I’m hearing theres a lot of outrage at Square over the ending and that it ruins everything. Is that usual internet hyperbolic reaction in your opinion or is the ending really that offensive?

no spoilers just curious :)

I think it’s a lot of hyperbole, but I guess it depends on how you feel about them changing things. If you want it to be a straightforward remake, then you won’t like the ending. But I think this is why they called it a “remake,” and not “remaster.” The ending basically tells us this game will be walking it’s own path from here, and to hop off the train if you’re not on board. I think there’s a certain section of the fandom who consider the mere notion of that to be blasphemy. I just found it intriguing and am excited to see where it goes next.

I think it’s a lot of hyperbole, but I guess it depends on how you feel about them changing things. If you want it to be a straightforward remake, then you won’t like the ending. But I think this is why they called it a “remake,” and not “remaster.” The ending basically tells us this game will be walking it’s own path from here, and to hop off the train if you’re not on board. I think there’s a certain section of the fandom who consider the mere notion of that to be blasphemy. I just found it intriguing and am excited to see where it goes next.

Sounds good to me. Now granted, obviously it depends on what theyre planning to do but im fully onboard with changing things storywise and doing a reinvention of the original. I’ve been saying i hope they swerve us with a few major story beats, like wouldn't it be something if Aerith doesnt die?

I've played the original, the spin offs, watched the movie/ova... absolutely loved the remake. I'm on board with the changes. Can we please get part 2 a little bit quicker?

Also, Sephiroth's theme somehow gets more intense and epic with every new version.

My memory of 7 is pretty fuzzy at that part of the game, so I don't get the controversy tbh. I just think they should of held off on Sephiroth until the sequel and wasn't fond of how it ripped off Advent Children's Sephiroth battle. That seemed lazy to me. I also wasn't a fan of their take on One Winged Angel. It's not horrible, but it's so cut up that it's a different song and arguably a Frankenstein monster in comparison. It just doesn't compare.

Finally finished the game. I loved it. Probably my favorite FF and SquareEnix game overall. Being in these locations, around these characters, reliving all these memories, I couldn't really ask for more. The game is so much fun to play as well. It's like they took everything they learned making Kingdom Hearts and XV, and finally "got it right". And that ending. My moogle, that ending... I can't wait to see where it all goes from here. To meet Yuffie, Cid, and Vincent. To finally get my hands on Odin and Ramuh! Midgar Zolom, you never had a chance! :cool:

Last edited:
Finally finished the game. I loved it. Probably my favorite FF and SquareEnix game overall. Being in these locations, around these characters, reliving all these memories, I couldn't really ask for more. The game is so much fun to play as well. It's like they took everything they learned making Kingdom Hearts and XV, and finally "got it right". And that ending. My moogle, that ending... I can't wait to see where it all goes from here. To meet Yuffie, Cid, and Vincent. To finally get my hands on Odin and Ramuh! Midgar Zolom, you never had a chance! :cool:
Great to hear all this. Really glad you enjoyed it so much and that it lived up to your expectations. :up:

So Sephiroth's plot. Him telling Cloud he has 7 seconds. Asking Cloud to help him defy destiny.

The way I took the ending is that Sephiroth knows he needed the ability to change destiny so he could win. With the death of the Whispers, he can now do that. But he also needs to make sure what happened before, doesn't happened again. Which to me is where the 7 seconds thing comes into play. He is continually asking Cloud to change destiny with him, but Cloud is rebelling. What if Cloud doesn't realize that is what he wants Cloud to do? To think he isn't helping him, and in the process does exactly what Sephiroth wants him to do? He wants Cloud to save Aerith. He thinks that is what he needs to happen to win. But if Cloud does save her, will he die in the process? Will he try to push her out of the way and take the blow instead?

Last edited:
Soooo........I took a long break from this to focus on Persona 5 Royal. Got back into this game where I left off, right before facing the Air Buster. After 3 tries, I finally defeated the boss.

Now, I'm starting Chapter 8 when you remeet Aerith in the church. And Holy ****!! The feels!!!

When Aerith's theme started playing on the piano, I couldn't help it. Tears started streaming down my face. Seriously, no other game has made me this emotional, and just from the music alone.

:waa:

Agreed man it took everything about the first game that made it special and honored it all so perfectly. While still adding in some new things and making it fresh but familiar and nostalgic. A true remake. The story, characters, locations, the score. They were able to take all of that from the original which were all already so so amazing and elevated it. And considering the original is one of my all time favorite games they nailed it with this one. Absolutely loved it and am ready for what’s to come. Can’t wait for the next games.

Soooo........I took a long break from this to focus on Persona 5 Royal. Got back into this game where I left off, right before facing the Air Buster. After 3 tries, I finally defeated the boss.

Now, I'm starting Chapter 8 when you remeet Aerith in the church. And Holy ****!! The feels!!!

When Aerith's theme started playing on the piano, I couldn't help it. Tears started streaming down my face. Seriously, no other game has made me this emotional, and just from the music alone.

:waa:

All the feels bro so many times during this game with certain character moments, set pieces or locations and the score. Just :hrt:

All the feels bro so many times during this game with certain character moments, set pieces or locations and the score. Just :hrt:
yeah. I just made it to Aerith's house. and my god this game is ******* killing me with all the variations of Aerith's theme. And no matter the variation, I always end up getting teary eyed. Why game, why must you be so cruel to me??!!

Coming back to this game after a long break, one thing I got reminded of was just how "alive" the world feels as you are walking around town.

Even just walking around with Aerith, like during the rooftop travel scene, the interactions between the characters just feel so much more alive than other games I've played. Like when Aerith is walking across the narrow pipe and loses her balance. Or when you walk on ahead and she shouts "Hey! Wait for me!" as she hesitates to jump over the gap.

just little things like that make the world, and the characters, feel much more alive.

Agreed man it took everything about the first game that made it special and honored it all so perfectly. While still adding in some new things and making it fresh but familiar and nostalgic. A true remake. The story, characters, locations, the score. They were able to take all of that from the original which were all already so so amazing and elevated it. And considering the original is one of my all time favorite games they nailed it with this one. Absolutely loved it and am ready for what’s to come. Can’t wait for the next games.
I don't know how this game will end, and I hope I like it. From what I understand, there are some "changes" to the story. I don't mind that, as long as the broader, main points aren't changed. Especially certain key moments that will happen in future games.

Speaking of future games, I am really curious as to how they will handle their release. Are the future installments all going to be timed, first-on PS5 exclusives like this one was for the PS4?

If so, that would definitely solidify my choice to go with PS5, because there is no way I could wait through a timed exclusivity to play this game series on other platforms.

Hopefully, Square reveals the next installment as part of their July/August reveals, and they speak to the platforms/exclusivity situation about the next games.

You know what else I really appreciate in this game? The difficulty of some enemies especially the boss fights. They’re no pushover and you feel very rewarded after defeating a boss. Some boss fights I’ve had to do multiple times but I don’t find that frustrating at all honestly, I enjoy the challenge.

You know what else I really appreciate in this game? The difficulty of some enemies especially the boss fights. They’re no pushover and you feel very rewarded after defeating a boss. Some boss fights I’ve had to do multiple times but I don’t find that frustrating at all honestly, I enjoy the challenge.
I like that too. You experience that right away with the Scorpion boss at the start of the game. It took me several tries during the demo to beat him. If I hadn't played the demo, I'd have probably experienced something similar when playing the real game.

That's one critique I have of Persona 5 Royal. It just feels like with some of the new battle mechanics they added, the battles seem a bit easier than they did in the original game. Especially early on.

Playing Final Fantasy 7 and I am not a fan of Barrett’s voice, I get that it’s trying to be like Mr. T but it’s so cringe.

Last edited:
Looks like Final Fantasy XV in an Ivalice type setting. Other than the strong fantasy elements returning, it didn't do much for me.

Looks like Final Fantasy XV in an Ivalice type setting. Other than the strong fantasy elements returning, it didn't do much for me.
That's fair, but the gameplay looked more in line with Remake imo, which I thought was easily the most "fun" Final Fantasy to actually play. We will see though.

I hope they got their **** together this time and don't spread the story out across a multimedia empire like they did with FFXV where you needed to watch the movie, the cartoons, buy the upgrade Royale version, and the DLC among other things to get the whole story.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this reveal today.

Despite the characters being in my life since I was a kid thanks to Kingdom Hearts, I'm still a bit of a FF noob. But I completely fell in love with XV when I played it last year even though I know it was divisive among fans. So some of you saying it reminds you of that one is a good thing for me, haha. Will definitely keep my eye on this.

Final Fantasy on the NES was my first Final Fantasy. I had it and later Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan) on the SNES shortly after they came out, so I've been there since the beginning.

The last excellent FF game I played was X. All of them after that have had considerable flaws to me (and issues born from the 'development hell' they've gone through).

The best part of XV to me were the dungeons. They were everything I imagined playing through the dungeons in the early 90s FF games would be in the future finally realized with great graphics.

I would have loved a little tease at FFVII Remake part II, but this looked very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"