The Offical Final Fantasy Thread

PlayStation Blog - Memories of life working on Final Fantasy IX, available with PlayStation Now

Deadlines and data limits
Perhaps the biggest problems we ran into when making Final Fantasy IX were due to data limits. Working on the original PlayStation, we were limited by how much information we could fit on a CD-ROM, and even with four disks we were right at the limit of that storage.

Towards the end of the development, we were calculating the data on each of the disks every single day. If we ended up exceeding the storage amount, we’d agonise over how to change the way the story was split over the disks.

It meant we had to make some cuts. For example, at one point in the story, the party splits up to take on four shrines. Initially we planned to make the player use each group of characters to fight, but due to the data limits we ended up only including the Zidane and Quina battle.

Adding to the problem was the fact that we had three months less than originally planned to make the master of the game. The final polishing was incredibly tough!
Our work on the development of Final Fantasy IX finished a long time ago, but I believe its continued popularity is all thanks to the fans. In fact, I think of them as the 'creators' now.

Anyone who answers Final Fantasy IX when asked to recommend a game, anyone who feels happy when they hear people saying they enjoyed certain parts of the game… these fans, like us, continue to build the game.

If you're playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time on PlayStation Now, and find it fun, then I'd be delighted if you'd join us and continue to create Final Fantasy IX into the future.
Along with the upcoming FFIX anime, there was a recent leak from NVIDIA that said a remake of FFIX was in their database for their GeForce Now service.

Hopefully they wouldn't break it up into multiple games and DLCs.

Last edited:

Wasn't a good game and the paw prints of development hell were all over it. Story was scattered across a multimedia empire of a movie, animated shorts, novels, DLCs, and the game itself and the story wasn't good - maybe by 1980s NES Final Fantasy standards it was fine. Besides the disappointing change to being a pure action/RPG, it wasn't even a good one compared to its JRPG contemporaries like the Nier series, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Trials of Mana, the Tales of series, and others. I have no idea what the game over screen even looks like in the game because it was ridiculously easy. The dungeons were good though, I'll give it that. Final Fantasy XVI has a lot to prove.

So, I picked up FF X/X-2 during Best Buy's black friday deals. Definitely a 20 year old game. And clearly only retained a little in my memory of watching my brother play it.

Still, enjoying it so far.

So, I picked up FF X/X-2 during Best Buy's black friday deals. Definitely a 20 year old game. And clearly only retained a little in my memory of watching my brother play it.

Still, enjoying it so far.
I probably like X more than most. Didn’t think as much of X2 though.

I feel like X is one of those games where people talk about hating it well out of proportion with the actual percent of the player base who actually do hate it. Not sure why, though, unless its just that the main hero isn't edgy and kewl.

X is well below VII and VIII for me but still the one I played the most by far since VIII.

This is sort of how I now feel about them (the original released games on the original systems, NOT the later enhanced ports and remakes and remasters). Final Fantasy in 1990 on the NES was my first FF game that I played (and completed), I really liked it at the time but it's dated now.

ffratings.png

I like XIII's battle system but the linearity and lack of optional content outside of just battles on Gran Pulse drags the gameplay down versus XII and to a greater extent XV which have more optional content but the battles are not as enjoyable for me. After X they all have storytelling and character problems for one reason or another.

Final Fantasy I and II's problem isn't that they're bad, it's just that the story and gameplay is non-existent in complexity compared to what came after them.

As for XI and XIV I don't have the time to put hundreds of hours to get anywhere in an MMO hamster wheel. Maybe one day if they ever make an offline singer-player version of those games like they have now done for Dragon Quest X.

Last edited:

That box art is chaos.

:rimshot:

Japan's Famitsu new Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster cover story:

f0165d37-9b1c-4f2a-81c1-7ca51fe0d596.jpeg

Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster screenshots in start here (along with new remastered soundtrack incl. Searching For Friends):

16 minutes 30 seconds

Final Fantasy VI has one of the best video game OSTs of all time so I hope it's done justice.

20220102_212453.jpg

Got this artbook today. I don't usually get artbooks for video games but I had to make an exception for FFVII Remake's. I just love this game.Though I always adored FFVII, I always begrudged that the casual fanbase put it over the masterpiece that was FFVI. That said, FFVII Remake was a triumph despite only focusing on the Midgar chapters.

I knew as soon as that magical feeling came over me when reliving the introduction of Marlene and Tifa at Seventh Heaven with Tifa's excellent theme playing, that I was in for something really special. It was one of those rare video game moments that stuck with me well after I played it because of the profound experience of realizing how much I deep down cared about the characters and story from way back. Can't wait to comb through this artbook and dive deep into the making of the game.

I actually recommend the Ultimania Archives series ( its three big coffee table books ). They go well beyond "art book" into effectively being historical documentaries on the creation of the Final Fantasy series.

EDIT: Japan is weird, that is the final trailer for Stranger in Paradise, fyi.

Be forewarned, there is a bit of a tonal switch in the middle of the trailer. Beware of whiplash.

I love FF 1. I am going to have to watch this game to see whatever the **** this game is. I feel like this insanity must be experienced in someway.

Last edited:
^Yeah that's an odd trailer for an odd game. At least they took the feedback they asked for for the demo and added some female characters I guess.

Square Enix - Which FINAL FANTASY game should I play first?

I guarantee you that they are unable to fit in new characters just from feedback from the demos. Now, this likely reflects some feedback in terms of marketing. But then they go in another weird direction. I am unsure if this is terrible marketing, or brilliant marketing responding to the reactions to what we've seen so far.

Never played the original FF so yeah definitely interested in this but I agree it was a weird trailer.

View attachment 52075

Got this artbook today. I don't usually get artbooks for video games but I had to make an exception for FFVII Remake's. I just love this game.Though I always adored FFVII, I always begrudged that the casual fanbase put it over the masterpiece that was FFVI. That said, FFVII Remake was a triumph despite only focusing on the Midgar chapters.

I knew as soon as that magical feeling came over me when reliving the introduction of Marlene and Tifa at Seventh Heaven with Tifa's excellent theme playing, that I was in for something really special. It was one of those rare video game moments that stuck with me well after I played it because of the profound experience of realizing how much I deep down cared about the characters and story from way back. Can't wait to comb through this artbook and dive deep into the making of the game.
That should be great to look through. That game means a lot to many of us. VIII is also great to me.

I think many people started with VII which might be part of the reason why VI racks up less votes than it otherwise would.

Besides the continued usage of that pathetic typeface the screenshots show the overblown lighting of the GBA version (too compensate for the GBA’s weak original brightness) and not the Super NES/Famicom version below:

final+fantasy+vi+world+map+screen.png

Last edited:

I am going to need to watch this game. If just to confirm that this is real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"