The Offical Saturday Night Live Thread - Part 3

She was a better host than I expected, tbh. Did a pretty good American accent too.

That psychic sketch was such a great concept, but overall the writing still feels so weak to me this season so far.

I haven’t seen the Adele episode yet, but I agree that the writing has been weak this season so far.

As a big Jim Carrey fan, I feel let down as his performance as Biden. When they announced Carrey to play him this season I was like “YESS!! PERFECT!!” I thought he’d knock it outta the park but, eh, idk the material just isnt funny.

Yeah I haven’t really laughed much at Carrey’s Biden. Still think Sudekis does the best Biden out there. I saw some of the Adele sketches on YouTube and she was MUCH better than I thought she would be. Plus, she looks amazing. Like...damn.

SNL announced Dave Chapelle returning next week. No musical guest announced.

Good to see Chappelle coming back to host, after I didn't think he would after he said the "n-word" in his monologue the last time he hosted. I didn't think he was banned as he showed up when Eddie Murphy came back.

There would be more backlash on SNL if they banned Chappelle for saying the n word

He said it accidentally though, didn’t he? They usually only ban people who swear or ad-lib purposely, like Martin Lawrence or Adrien Brody.

I am SO over Carrey as Biden. It just isn't working for me. This week's sketch (The Raven) was such a great concept, but it felt really unrehearsed and awkward. I think it's very hard for non-cast members to find the right chemistry, and Carrey just isn't vibing with them. It works for Trump, because the the chaotic, stand-offish energy inherent in the role. But Carrey's Biden just feels out of place.

It definitely is not working and whats sad is it should. On paper Carrey should be able to go to town in this role but you can tell he’s not all the way comfortable with it or the material.

I think it's less Carrey's fault, and more that the writers haven't found the comedic "hook" with Biden yet. And at this point, maybe they never will. I don't feel like they ever really did with Obama, tbh. I didn't find Sudeikis' take on Biden funny at all, either. It was just kinda Jason Sudeikis being Jason Sudeikis in Biden make-up. There was nothing especially Biden-y about him, imo. I think their current approach - the whole "out of touch Mr. Rogers" bit - is a smidge closer to finding the funny with Biden, so-to-speak, but it still feels undercooked.

We'll find out on Tuesday if Saturday is going to be the last time Carrey plays Biden or Baldwin plays Trump. I don't know if Carrey wants to play Biden for 4 years and if Maya Rudolph wants to play Kamala for 4 years if Biden wins.

I think it's less Carrey's fault, and more that the writers haven't found the comedic "hook" with Biden yet. And at this point, maybe they never will. I don't feel like they ever really did with Obama, tbh. I didn't find Sudeikis' take on Biden funny at all, either. It was just kinda Jason Sudeikis being Jason Sudeikis in Biden make-up. There was nothing especially Biden-y about him, imo. I think their current approach - the whole "out of touch Mr. Rogers" bit - is a smidge closer to finding the funny with Biden, so-to-speak, but it still feels undercooked.

Honestly I think it's just not as easy to make fun of Biden (or Obama for that matter) and play him as this cartoonish over-the-top character as it is with Trump who's already there IRL. There's just not as much "there" there.

I think Schlosser85 is right. But I do think Woody is my favorite of the three Biden's.

A big part of what makes a memorable impersonation comes with the subject's speech pattern. Pretty much every President in the existence of SNL has had a distinctive accent (Clinton, Dubya) or manner of speaking (Reagan, Obama) with the possible exception of Gerald Ford, because Chevy Chase chose to do his own thing with that impression. If someone's accent or speech inflection stands out, they're instantly easier to imitate. Biden doesn't really have that, so Carrey is mostly left to his own devices much like Kate McKinnon was for Hillary.

We'll find out on Tuesday if Saturday is going to be the last time Carrey plays Biden or Baldwin plays Trump. I don't know if Carrey wants to play Biden for 4 years and if Maya Rudolph wants to play Kamala for 4 years if Biden wins.
Somehow I doubt Carrey would stick around beyond this season if Biden wins. I doubt they'd get anyone to replace Maya as Kamala but since she's an SNL veteran she'd probably be game for sticking around as needed. But the realistic answer is they wouldn't be needed that often if Biden wins because since SNL is a left-leaning show, the Biden Administration wouldn't be chastised a fraction of the amount as Trump if it were to happen. Sure, Obama had a presence on the show from 2008-2016 but those were few and far between compared to Baldwin's Trump because frankly, there wasn't much to criticize compared to the Presidents that came before and after. Most of the Fred Armisen/Jay Pharaoh sketches weren't even that great outside of the 2012 Election season either, with the exception of this one:

As for Baldwin's Trump...win or lose, I very much doubt we've seen the last of him on SNL.

I can’t remember the last cold open that wasn’t a political sketch

I can’t remember the last cold open that wasn’t a political sketch
They mostly are, but Baldwin's Trump has been in a lot more cold opens and had a lot more screen time compared to either Armisen's or Pharaoh's Obama. Hey, that's like the only thing the real Trump can brag to Obama about. :o

Ok this....is a very weird show. Chappelle’s monologue: epic. Didnt disappoint. The Aunt Jemima/Uncle Ben/ All State guy skit: funny. After that... wtf am I watching? What are these random ash skits? And where’d Chappelle go?

Ok this....is a very weird show. Chappelle’s monologue: epic. Didnt disappoint. The Aunt Jemima/Uncle Ben/ All State guy skit: funny. After that... wtf am I watching? What are these random ash skits? And where’d Chappelle go?
Back for the Trump white Bronco sketch. :hehe:

That was pretty funny :funny:
I feel like they could've done more with it, but the concept was A+ and the "he's like Aquaman, but instead of fish, he can summon a Cracker Barrel parking lot" was on-point.

Big props to Kate Mckinnon, she brought the house down with that Rudy Giuliani bit man.

Not nearly enough Dave Chappelle in yesterday’s episode! :csad::argh:

I think what happened was since they gave Dave nearly 20 mins to do his monologue they had to compromise in other places. Dave basically disappeared after his monologue was done. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"