The Office (US)

The post-Carrell Office reminded me of bad pro-wrestling scripting. The big-time champ leaves, and they do everything wrong to replace him, starting with forcing a new character down the audience's throat (Catherine Tate), introducing a gimmicky veteran whose storyline makes no sense (James Spader) and when that doesn't work, promote a character just because the performer has a lot of outside projects (Ed Helms).

It’s kind of amazing how many really funny guys couldn’t even come close to cracking Dwight as a character.

It’s kind of amazing how many really funny guys couldn’t even come close to cracking Dwight as a character.

Odenkirk as Michael would have been interesting. A bit more alarming and unsettling than Carrell.

Both were perfectly suited for the roles they ended up in, but I wouldn’t mind dropping in on the alternate universe where Odenkirk landed The Office and Saul Goodman somehow ended up being played by Steve Carell.

At least we got a little taste of it in that season 9 episode when Pam interviews for that job in Philly

Over time the last two seasons without Michael have really grown on me. Has a lot of funny character moments but the storyline & some of the characters actions are really eye rolling, cringe inducing ridiculous

Andy became very annoying and unbearable at times as manager and his whole romance with Erin was completely pointless.

The series finale is damn near perfection. Despite having more lows than highs those last two seasons, they really ended the show beautifully

Yeah, I’ve found that the last two seasons play a LOT better as a binge than they did on a weekly basis.

Add me in that camp too. The seasons without Michael aren't terrible. Hell I remember pretty much everything after season 4 was a bit contentious with the fanbase, but yeah there's good in all the seasons. I just wish the last season they didn't roll back Andy's development

Except season 1. That is legit trash to me

I liked season 1, but they were still following the UK version a little too closely back then before finding their footing in season 2. Diversity Day is the standout episode.

I still think season 8 is the worst but yeah it’s slowly grown on me since watching reruns on tv and Netflix

Add me in that camp too. The seasons without Michael aren't terrible. Hell I remember pretty much everything after season 4 was a bit contentious with the fanbase, but yeah there's good in all the seasons. I just wish the last season they didn't roll back Andy's development

Except season 1. That is legit trash to me
I do remember a bit of trash talk regarding Michael’s later seasons, but I never bought into it. Just because S2-3 were the show at its peak, doesn’t mean the rest of Michael’s run wasn’t great.

I think we can all agree that the show needed more Rolf, though.

I still think season 8 is the worst but yeah it’s slowly grown on me since watching reruns on tv and Netflix

Yeah, the last two seasons don’t exist for me. When they brought in the boom mic guy as a potential marital issue with Pam, I was pretty much out. Out of ideas. Season 7 was the actual end, after that it’s just gasping for air.

I’m watching the S6 premiere and I fully cackled when Meredith said “She’s gonna hate being a mom” upon hearing that Jim and Pam were expecting.

When they brought in the boom mic guy as a potential marital issue with Pam, I was pretty much out.
Oh god, I had blocked that out. That was SO bad. Now I'm reminded where my irrational dislike of that actor comes from. :funny:

41puwn1CZ4L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anyone read this book? I highly recommend it for any Office fans.

And just to add my two cents... my biggest flaw with the post-Carell seasons is Nellie. She is by far the most annoying character in any sitcom ever. Even more annoying than Janice from Friends.

41puwn1CZ4L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anyone read this book? I highly recommend it for any Office fans.

And just to add my two cents... my biggest flaw with the post-Carell seasons is Nellie. She is by far the most annoying character in any sitcom ever. Even more annoying than Janice from Friends.
I didn't care for Nellie at all.

Nellie from the S7 finale and Season 8? Yeah, I didn’t care for her. But by the final season, I think they toned her down a lot and I didn’t mind her too much.

Honestly though, how did David Wallace not lose his job for making an inexperienced salesman VP of the entire company?

Watching season one for the first time in a long while is such a jarring experience. Everything is just off.

Krasinski looks about 19, Carell somehow looks older than he does for the rest of the series, the actual office set is just slightly off kilter, there’s a bunch of random ass employees around who disappear after awhile, the show’s eventual supporting cast doesn’t really have any of the personality they exhibit later on...

Bizarre stuff.

I remember the first season also used Ryan as a sort of "audience POV" character being introduced to this unusual work environment before he descended into madness.

Been rewatching The Office from start to finish. Just began season 5. The first season is always rough to get through, much like Parks & Rec before they found their voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"