The official All-Star Superman thread

gildea said:
The anatomy (though exagerated) is correct. The drapery is very well done (something most comic book artists ignore), the characters all seem to have 'weight'. Quitely also appreciates that male characters have lips also and all characters have eyelids which aren't always full open.

so my question to you is how the **** is that not realism??

and jim lee's, alex ross's and greg land's have no lips, or eye lashes. nice excuse

yes his anatomy IS exagerated thanks for proving my point ms.realism

anyways after reading this book for the third time, the story has appealed to me a great deal, but the art is IMO horrid and i rather much see romita's art work on this.

drastic_quench said:
Yeah, I hated when he killed all those cops.

or else they were gonna kill dick, yeah bats really did a bad thing:rolleyes: plus he really didnt killthem, they just got in the way of his car.lol:)

I think they just should have gotten a better colorist on the project.

The story is good, but the art just falls flat at some points.

Dr.Fear said:
or else they were gonna kill the dick, yeah bats really did a bad thing:rolleyes: plus he really didnt killthem, they just got in the way of his car.lol:)

At the end Batman seemed upset after Robin said something about wasting them.

I don't know, I'm a fan of Wolverine, Kill Bill and that kind of stuff thats why I didn't have a problem with it.

I'm as much a fan of death and destruction as the next guy, but not where Batman is concerned. The importance of life has been a cornerstone of Batman's character for decades now, and I've always liked that about him. A creature of the night who uses terror as his primary weapon, but refuses to kill. Good stuff.

yeah well his quota needs to chnage. he should be like jason todd, and kill of all his villains.............ok not kill but torture.

Dr.Fear said:
and jim lee's, alex ross's and greg land's have no lips, or eye lashes. nice excuse

yes his anatomy IS exagerated thanks for proving my point ms.realism

anyways after reading this book for the third time, the story has appealed to me a great deal, but the art is IMO horrid and i rather much see romita's art work on this.

excuse? It was a reason child.

I wouldn't compare him to alex ross as his is painted and modelled, or greg land who just digitally alters photos of people. But jim lee bad place yeah he'll only ever draw a lip if its in shadow and eyelids on a man if their closed.

Dr.Fear said:
yeah well his quota needs to chnage. he should be like jason todd, and kill of all his villains.............ok not kill but torture.
Well, now you've got All-Star Batman to fill that need. Personally, I'm content with the regular ol' Batman in the mainstream comics. Everyone's happy.

Yeah I love mainstream Bats too and now All-Star Bats.

It was a cornerstone for mainstream Bats to not kill, not All-Star Bats.

Just like Rogue in Uncanny X-Men never killed off Gambit, but Ultimate Rogue did.

I think its good that there going to tell a diffrent story with All-Star Bats like how they do with the Ultimate Universe.

Now back to All-star Superman I just reread it and the 2nd time hit me harder then the 1st.

At first I didnt like the art to much, but now I'm left thinking WTF did I think that for.

Its great and the story was better to 2nd time round.

So I know its probably not going to happen, but does anyboy think he really will die and the real All-Star Superman is a clone of him.

How many people think hes going to battle that huge blue monster thing?

I think hes going to.

The Joker™ said:
I think its good that there going to tell a diffrent story with All-Star Bats like how they do with the Ultimate Universe.
That's kind of funny because some people around the boards are still arguing their heads off that All-Star and Ultimate are two totally different concepts. :o

Dr.Fear said:
or else they were gonna kill dick, yeah bats really did a bad thing:rolleyes: plus he really didnt killthem, they just got in the way of his car.lol:)

I was attempting to be sarcastic. I have failed.

My POV of All Star Supes is this.

-The story is very intriguing, I'm hooked.
-The art is good and great at times. Quitely has his moments were Supes looks kinda weird and then were he's awesome, but its mostly just in the face. The consistency of Supes face is a tad off but its forgivable IMO. His Clark is fantastic, the whole bumbling scene was hilarious and it reminded me so much of Reeve in the movie. Not appearance wise but character wise. Its as if I heard Reeve's voice during tha Clark scenes.
-I for one liked the coloring. It wasn't overbearing like some comics can be. Some would think its bland for the most part, but I think its suits it well.

All Star Supes, so good so far.

FEAR THE BAT said:
His Clark is fantastic, the whole bumbling scene was hilarious and it reminded me so much of Reeve in the movie. Not appearance wise but character wise. Its as if I heard Reeve's voice during tha Clark scenes.
You like the goofy, half-guitared Clark? That was always the one thing I really, genuinely hated about the movies.

I really didn't like the bumbling Clark thing. Although I see what Morrison was trying to do, it seemed unnecessary.

When I heard Morrison and Quietly were going to be doing a book together again, I was instantly interested. After picking up and reading All-Star Supes #1 yesterday, I was pretty impressed. I loved how they recapped the origin in 1 page, with only a few words yet you still know everything you need about his coming (not that there would be anyone reading who didn't know Superman's origin, it's just a nice touch). Also, I think the Lex dialogue scenes were some of the best handled I've seen in a while.

At first, I was against adding more powers to Superman's arsenal, but even I began to not mind, and I don't think introducing any new abilities will hinder the book.

Overall, I'm looking forward to issue #2 and this has been added to my monthly reading list.

TheCorpulent1 said:
That's kind of funny because some people around the boards are still arguing their heads off that All-Star and Ultimate are two totally different concepts. :o
Is there anything in the story that contradicts the regular continuity?
If not, it's a different concept from Ultimate.

There is. I don't think Lex being publically outted as a criminal mastermind was ever done post-Crisis before Public Enemies, and I don't think Superman has been shown to lift 200 quintillion tons one-handed, either. And then there's the whole solar radiation poisoning being the reason he reveals himself to Lois thing.

It's Ultimate.

Its not really an ultimate its a classical elseworlds.

Where as ultimate is a completely new continuity this is a twelve issue self contained project and not a continuity.

It's Ultimate. A newer take on a classic character, trying to play on the general public's perception of Superman.

I read it yesterday and I have to say this was a brilliant first issue Grant Morrisson is off to a flying start, his Superman is everything that you want, well Superman to be, and Frank Quietly's art was great, Every time I see his work it gets better and better his work on WE3 was my favorite so far but I think this may even top that, and on a related note, I'm going to sound like such a geek here but I honestly thought Frank's Lois Lane was the sexiest I've seen since Jim Lee's.

Copying and pasting from the Bought/Thought thread:

All-Star Superman #1
Ah, Grant Morrison. What would I do without you? Possibly the exact same things that I've always done that didn't involve reading comics written by you, but still. After the suck that was Miller's AS Batman, I feared a bit for this title...but it was an irrational fear borne of lunacy, 'cause now that I've read it I can't imagine what I was afraid of. Well, actually I can ("Are you dense? Are you guitared or something? I'm the GODDAMN SUPERMAN.") but in retrospect I can see it for the lunacy that it was.

I seriously love how creative this book is...and it's not the glaring big creativeness that sometimes writers will shove at us, it's the little things. Clones born with zero fear genes, Jimmy's superwatch, Luthor's signal taking nine minutes to reach the sun, Superman's bioelectric field, all the other crazy science, Clark Kent pretending to bump into a man so that he wouldn't walk into falling wreckage...little, almost offhanded things that are slipped in to enrich the storytelling. Morrison got himself a rep, and also a rap, but I don't understand how people can read his work and not see it for the innovation that it is.

I'm really glad Supes decided to out himself to Lois at the end of the issue. As much as I'm willing to tolerate classic retellings of a character so long as it's done well by a competent writer, I wasn't exactly looking forward to issues after issues of secret identity shenanigans between Lois and Clark. Some silver age things really are best left undisturbed.

Frank Quitely's art is and always has been hit-or-miss...more miss than hit, it really has to be said...but it's not so bad if you prepare yourself for it and understand what he's going for. And he's worked with Morrison so much now that it's really a near-perfect symbiosis of tone and storytelling.

I'm still not very enthusiastic about the prospect of the All-Star line...I'd really prefer that comic companies keep their talent on the mainstream canonical stories...but Morrison has shown me that it can be done right.

(10 out of 10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"