The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by jaqua99, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrypticOne Poetic Violence

Just two months after The Avengers 2?! HAHA! I can't wait! Awesome news.

2. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

After seeing the news just a bit ago, this was my initial reaction. After seeing how it's 2-3 weeks after the BM/SM movie, it makes total sense to put it in the summer.

3. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

But you have to think it may move the filming schedule now that it has 4 less months to film and do post-production.

4. SpocksBrain Internet Geek

Just wanted to point out that its 3 months after AoU not 2 months.

I don't think the third weekend of World's Finest is that much of an issue. By the third weekend, even the biggest blockbusters usually have dropped off considerably.

This is basically the exact same spot the are giving Guardians of the Galaxy in 2014. Perhaps Marvel likes late summer as a spot for their new, unproven properties. Kids are still out of school, but all the "big summer movies" have already come and gone.

5. SpocksBrain Internet Geek

There are THREE months between May 1 and July 31st.

6. mclay18 Registered

If past fervor and buzz about actors who don't "fit" the mold of an established character comes true for Superman vs. Batman... and people are won over by Ben Affleck's Batman, it's going to be big. Regardless of whether people liked or hated MOS, the concept sells itself -- which owes a lot thanks to Marvel's The Avengers.

Ant-Man may be a Marvel property, but he's not one of the more recognized faces (outside of comic-book fans). The movie can do a lot better when folks are hungry for something new to open the summer (April or May) and can benefit from lack of competition and decent WOM. Not 1-2 weeks after people are still buzzing about the competition. Or put it in a summer month (June) where there's no superhero films on the docket.

And aside from his small but devoted fanbase, Edgar Wright's name just doesn't sell many tickets. If his name was akin to Spielberg or Nolan, I could see why Disney could justify the July 31 date.

#906 mclay18, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. samsnee Ok

Yeah I don't think this is a good move. People will have superhero/blockbuster fatigue by August, especially in 2015. I'll be shocked if this thing makes more than $300M worldwide, and this is coming from a huge Edgar Wright and Marvel fan.

8. Ant-manic Registered

if it's not well known, wouldn't it make more sense to to put it closer to the franchise it ties into? whose Ant-Man? he's one of the marvel properties; like the Avengers movie you watched a few months back and is in no way competing with a Bond film.

9. JKKS085 Registered

Regardless of how big Batman/Superman is going to be (and let's assume it will be as big as The Avengers wich I highly doubt) even if Ant-Man opens as low as 2008 Incredible Hulk (wich is Marvel's lowest oe yet with 55 millions/62 millions adjusted), it will take the top spot. And I'm not even taking in account that the MCU selling power is far bigger now than it was 5 years ago.

Moving Ant-Man's release closer to AoU is Marvel trying to build on the positive momentum from a film, the sequel of the highest grossing cmb of all time, that has the potential to reach the 2b+ mark and that'll probably have huge ties with Ant-Man. It's a win, win situation, they couldn't move the movie later in november because of The Hunger Games finale and the sequel of Finding Nemo, nor could they go directly against the follow-up of the highest grossing Bond film. Moving it up to July 31 is a definitely clever move.

#909 JKKS085, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  10. Ant-manic Registered

btw, how can anyone complain about it coming out sooner? i was still in high school when they started talking about this friggin movie. haven't i waited long enough?!

11. Loki882 Registered

Ant Man will possibly have a smaller budget than some of the other Marvel films. It wouldn't have to do gangbuster numbers in order to be a success. A couple of really good weeks would do it. Putting it up against Bond (especially post-Skyfall Bond) was never a good move.

12. Mr. Dent Registered

The people complaining about this just don't know anything about the situation surrounding the film's november release. Funny how a lot of people only want to come in here to say their piece on how this is a bad move without knowing anything about or following the film beforehand and will just go on about it the same way after tomorrow.

13. TheAQU4M4N K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

I have a feeling we may have a casting announcement pretty shortly.

14. marcvader Lurker #1

Yeah, James Spader as Henry Pym.;)

15. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

That's a pretty big assumption that Ant-Man will "tie in" to AoU.
    Yeah, coming from a long-time die-hard Marvel Comics geek, that sounds like a bizarre statement, but Joss and Edgar have been very clear in recent weeks that Ant-Man is pretty much a standalone, and there are no present plans to include Scott Lang and/or Hank Pym in future Avenger movies.

As for moving the release date back: so far, that's a helluva lot "safer" date than pitting it against Bond 24 on opening weekend in November. WF *could* conceivably take #1 for three straight weekends, but that's highly unlikely, even for the most successful blockbusters these days. And with all the hatemail Batfleck keeps getting, WF could already be dead on arrival. The best Ben can hope for is that the inevitable backlash against the backlash will be in full swing by then.

16. Bert Registered

To be honest, I'm not really sure about this move... This summer started strong and then got a severe case of blockbuster fatigue. It's almost like Iron Man 3 ate everyone else's lunch. This could be the new normal and could very easily continue in future summers. I think they are doing the smart thing releasing Cap 2 ahead of blockbuster season. I hope this works out for them, I'll be one ticket for Ant man at the least....

17. mclay18 Registered

If we pay attention to what casting history has taught us, it won't be. Let's see: the actor who seems the least likely for a role gets it, fans complain about how 'stupid' the studio/director is and start these petitions to remove said actor which go nowhere. It's not just Batman-related casting like Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger, but also Daniel Craig as 007 back in 2005 (they didn't like a blond Bond). And Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen in early 2011 (people said she was too fat). And the ones I mentioned proved naysayers wrong.

If anything, Affleck's involvement would probably lure in some of his older fanbase who wouldn't have seen it otherwise. And he wouldn't throw that goodwill away on a terrible script.

Usually, rivals are wise and release counterprogramming fare to WB's mid-July releases. A film like Captain America: The First Avenger would've made a LOT more domestically, had it not opened a week after the final HP movie did. Apparently Marvel and Disney forgot about that.

18. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

This new release date is better!

19. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

Excellent idea, Darth. :up:
    I'm expecting the marketing to be appealing, especially coming out so soon after AoU. "You've seen Age of Ultron, now prepare for Ant-Man!" or something like that in the commercials could go a long way.

Yeah, I'd say it's a smart move on Disney and Marvel's part.

No one's going to pay attention to some pissed off fans sending in hate-mail 2 years before the movie's out. That's a lot of time to change a lot of peoples' opinions.:cwink:

#919 ThePowerCosmic, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  20. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Moving it up was a good move. Ant-Man would of got slaughtered opening the same weekend as Bond.

Ant-Man starts pre-production next month and begins filming next year so Edgar has plenty of time to get the film made. His time table won't be affected much.

If Marvel can loosely tie Ant-Man to the Avengers Age Of Ultron some how it would definitely help its chances I feel.

Edgar has been talking about nanotechnology in Ant-Man....

[​IMG]

21. SilentWarriorZ lemonidas

Considering the news I must say people should prepare for more twists to come rather than being shocked .

22. Mr.M Registered

June would be horrible for a picture like this. You already have Pixar in there. JP IV is targeting that slot, as is Terminator 5. As much as those franchises have fallen off, they are still bigger brands than Ant-Man. I think early August is perfect for an drama/comedy movie like Ant-Man. Perfect lower end budget entertainment at the tail end of the summer. November would just be too jam packed, and September/October is horrible.

23. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I hope Jeremy Renner is in it.

24. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

It can be as big as it wants. It won't hurt another legit tentpole in its third week. If Superman/Batman hits as does 200m opening weekend, it is going to get cut in more then half every week after at the best. That is no problem for Ant-Man.

25. marcvader Lurker #1

Another thing people need to consider is that the budget for this will probably be sub 150 so the recoup on it wont be insurmountable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.