The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of Edgar's movie picks at Total Film was 70's movie Phase 4 which has super intelligent ants in it.

[YT]IuhgBvOWb_k[/YT]

Good move.

I think this move is a stupid idea on Marvel and Disney's part. They'll already own summer 2015 with Avengers: Age of Ultron and POTC 5... and Ant-Man is an untested property.

And they're underestimating how big this potential Superman vs. Batman movie can be. They would be better off moving Ant-Man to November 13 or that May 2016 spot.

http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2015/

There are no big movies (or any movies at all) penned for August 2015 at the moment.

November 2015 would have it opening the same weekend or the weekend after the new Bond, 1-2weeks before the final Hunger Games, followed the week after by Finding Dory.

Ant Man won't be a $200m budgeted film, they aren't looking to make $1bn at the box office, they'll be looking for CA:TFA, Thor, The Wolverine numbers. As you see here, August is quite capable of turning out good BO numbers.

3 weeks after S/B (which will have made most it's money by then) is plenty time.

I wonder what it means for the plot of Avengers AoU now that Ant-Man is following so closely on its heels. Will Whedon reconsider having Henry Pym featuring in some way in Avengers 2?

I don't see why it would change the AoU script at all.

I wasn't sure what they'd do for A2 after-credit scene (whether it would be another Thanos/cosmic tease or if they would tease Ant-Man) but with Ant-Man coming out so close to AAOU now I'm leaning more towards them putting an Ant-Man related after-credit scene.

They could do 2 again, mid-credit & post-credit. One of 'em for Ant Man. Either way there'll definitely be a regular trailer infront of AoU.

But you have to think it may move the filming schedule now that it has 4 less months to film and do post-production.

I would be concerned about that if they didn't have a script yet, but that's been pretty much done for a long time now. Wright's basically been in unofficial pre-production on and off for the past several years & they won't start shooting until next summer so there's still loads of time. Probably knows exactly who he wants to cast, too.

They've got a good jump on this one, I think.

btw, how can anyone complain about it coming out sooner? i was still in high school when they started talking about this friggin movie. haven't i waited long enough?!

:lmao: Jeez man, how old are you now if I may ask?? :woot:

Ant Man will possibly have a smaller budget than some of the other Marvel films. It wouldn't have to do gangbuster numbers in order to be a success. A couple of really good weeks would do it. Putting it up against Bond (especially post-Skyfall Bond) was never a good move.

Nah it won't,Ant-Man is a character that will require a lot of CGI and for that reason alone I believe the budget will be same as the Phase one films, around 150 million.

Another thing people need to consider is that the budget for this will probably be sub 150 so the recoup on it wont be insurmountable.

Agreed :up:

Smart move because it would get decimated by Bond and I really want this movie to do good numbers.

I think it'll be in line with the other MCU movies. I believe Wright has cited Iron Man as a reference for the tonal balance.

I think Ant-Man has the potential to be as popular as Iron Man was back in 2008. Sure, not as many people know who Ant-Man is, but then how many of the general audience knew who Iron Man was either? People enjoyed the film because of the concept and the humour, as well as RDJ in the role.

Ant-Man will need an actor who is charismatic as well, both for Pym and Lang.

Are they still edging towards Ant Man being more of a comedy?

Its going to be tonally in line with the first Iron Man.

I wonder if the movie will have a love interest?

If it does I wonder if it will be either Maria or Janet for Pym and Lang's wife Peggy?

I think Ant-Man has the potential to be as popular as Iron Man was back in 2008. Sure, not as many people know who Ant-Man is, but then how many of the general audience knew who Iron Man was either? People enjoyed the film because of the concept and the humour, as well as RDJ in the role.

It's the new spot that worries me. It's not the fact that it's coming earlier (I'm happy for that), but the date. I'm flashing back to this past summer where six animated movies duked it out for dollars -- and only two (Monsters University and Despicable Me 2) were clear winners. Turbo had the misfortune to come out two weeks after DM2, and it underperformed.

Or it could be like May 2007, and Ant-Man can hold its own against two big DC titans. Anything can happen.

Are they still edging towards Ant Man being more of a comedy?
They never were. Wright has always said this will be a spy action film with a different sort of comedic tone than his past films.

They never were. Wright has always said this will be a spy action film with a different sort of comedic tone than his past films.

Feige keeps saying it'll be a very "Edgar Wright" film.

Its going to be tonally in line with the first Iron Man.

I wonder if the movie will have a love interest?

If it does I wonder if it will be either Maria or Janet for Pym and Lang's wife Peggy?

i think they've kind of erased Maria, within the books. it'd have to be Jan. i guess they could cameo Lang's ex. but she wasn't even in 'To Steal An Ant-Man'; just his sister Ruth.

Ant-Man will need an actor who is charismatic as well, both for Pym and Lang.

it could always be used as some once popular actor's comeback campaign; similar to Robert Downey jr (or, to a lesser extent, James Spader). they definately need to nail down someone charismatic for Pym. if Sean Astin were thinner and, maybe, taller i'd suggest him for Lang. he's sympathetic-looking enough to get away with being a cat burglar and a semi-protagonist.

I see Lang being more of the smart ass who continually makes film references (as he does in the comics) while Pym would be more of the straight man.

Of course, they could always switch the personalities around, like they did with Stark and Rhodes. Rhodey is more of the wise-cracking one in the comics while Stark is more serious, but obviously they weren't going to do that with RDJ in the role.

Disney just took Pirates of the Caribbean 5 off summer 2015, which explains the Ant-Man move.

I see Lang being more of the smart ass who continually makes film references (as he does in the comics) while Pym would be more of the straight man.

Of course, they could always switch the personalities around, like they did with Stark and Rhodes. Rhodey is more of the wise-cracking one in the comics while Stark is more serious, but obviously they weren't going to do that with RDJ in the role.

true. it would turn the man of science stereotype on its head. it's just that i was expecting Lang to be kind of grimm; given his daughter's situation.

If Neil Patrick Harris were Pym, he would be pretty charismatic and fast talking while seeming like a scientist.

One of Edgar's movie picks at Total Film was 70's movie Phase 4 which has super intelligent ants in it.

[YT]IuhgBvOWb_k[/YT]

That movie creeped the **** out of me when I was about 5 years old. It still bugs the hell out of me ---- pun intended. Not what you'd call a horror movie, by any stretch, except a cerebral one; but it's still too unsettling for me to watch to this day. One of my all-time creepy movies.

If Neil Patrick Harris were Pym, he would be pretty charismatic and fast talking while seeming like a scientist.

i'd fully support Neil Patrick Harris. Joshua Jackson for Lang? i was trying to get someone from a similar age demographic. i think Harris is 40 or so (suprisingly). Jackson is approaching 40.

Pym has often been a wisecracker in the comics as well.
hm05gvowt

98ikm2uon

I could see a sort of buddy cop thing between Pym and Lang. Pym as the eccentric idealistic scientist and Lang as the tough on the outside more practical engineer ex-con trying to do right by his family.

i think they've kind of erased Maria, within the books. it'd have to be Jan. i guess they could cameo Lang's ex. but she wasn't even in 'To Steal An Ant-Man'; just his sister Ruth.

Was Maria erased? I thought they just ignored her existence most of the time but then again most writers don't use anything that far back with Pym when writing his character these days.

I think they would want some female characters in the film. I would like to see Janet but I could see Wright possibly being weary of making her Wasp when he is already introducing two different Ant-Men in one movie.

Pym has often been a wisecracker in the comics as well.
hm05gvowt

98ikm2uon

I could see a sort of buddy cop thing between Pym and Lang. Pym as the eccentric idealistic scientist and Lang as the tough on the outside more practical engineer ex-con trying to do right by his family.

Was Maria erased? I thought they just ignored her existence most of the time but then again most writers don't use anything that far back with Pym when writing his character these days.

I think they would want some female characters in the film. I would like to see Janet but I could see Wright possibly being weary of making her Wasp when he is already introducing two different Ant-Men in one movie.

Jan could be introduced. Her father could be funding (or has funded) Pym's research, and she would be around in this movie as a plucky wannabe sidekick who hasn't yet gained superpowers.

I could easily see her like Autumn Reeser's (whom I think would be great as Jan) character in No Ordinary Family when she found out Julie Benz's secret and was awestruck by it, but had not yet been impregnated with any powers of her own.

As for Lang, I would see him continually making film references for every situation like Tony DiNozzo (Michael Weatherly) in NCIS, since Scott is definitely meant to be a major film buff in the comics.

I'm not sure that Marvel Studios would want to portray her as a "wannabe sidekick." They may have worked back in the 60's, but perhaps not today. They'd want to make her somewhat more competent than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"