The Official "Ask A Brotha" Thread - Part 3

It's not easy to be young and your own person. Every kid cares about being ostracized, no matter how much they claim not to.

Another thing, is Lenny Kravitz the only black rock musician we have now?

Are we forgetting rock music comes from Black people?

Afropunk has more potential than to change the status quo something like BlackLivesMatter.

It would be nice to see it grow and maybe inspire the next generation of superheroes and sci-fi.

Speaking of which what do you guys think of this Star Wars boycott? Are these people serious?

I have a feeling the people who started it were trolling, then people against the idea helped give it more press, and then more trolls and actual serious people came out (people who probably really don't care about Star Wars anyway).

Welp, I am sure Disney is worried that their assured $Billion+ movie could have made an extra $500 from the few dozens of idiots that actually won't go see the movie event of the decade. How will they pay for one day of Kraft services for the voice cast of Star Wars Rebels NOW?

I know that Thor boycott against Idris Elba stopped MCU from being megasuccessful franchise and ended Elba's career.

Plus, Boyega had a good response...

tumblr_nwng94MoJv1twcj5xo2_400.gif
tumblr_nwng94MoJv1twcj5xo3_400.gif

tumblr_nwng94MoJv1twcj5xo1_400.gif
tumblr_nwng94MoJv1twcj5xo4_400.gif

https://instagram.com/p/9KPxm9MCr4/

I don't understand the relationship between Idris Elba and Disney between the discussion of music from a previous thread, but I will say this: Idris is a great actor and would be an asset to any film/franchise. Could he put a billion dollars in seats alone? I doubt that, but with enough star power and movie can bring out fans of an actors and actresses.

Going back to music:
There is a huge disconnect between all races in the U.S. and American history. The relationships between the systems of oppression that have affected minority and disabled communities are increasingly downplayed. There is no "post-racial" society in American, there is a misunderstood society. Understanding the background of each individual is just as important as U.S. history. So many factors go into creating a personality, the tastes one develops in media are a small corner stone of the effects we experience (from a sociological context).

I'm rooting for John Boyega to have a long and successful career.

I honestly feel that if Idris Elba was white he would be a major Hollywood studio leading man by now.

Elba clearly has a following. Even the low budget movies Elba starred in like Beasts of No Nation, No Good Deed and Obsession made money. Elba seems more bankable than guys like Armie Hammer.

Currently I can only think of

Radkey
Deathgrips
Bloc Party frontman Kele Okereke
90% of TV on The Radio
50% of The Bohicas

[YT]/d4Ho_LD9AKE[/YT]
[YT]/MxawVMQ02dc[/YT]
[YT]/wvNrsuieMLs[/YT]

This discussion reminds me of what Carlos Santana once said...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005396/bio

First of all, the music that people call Latin or Hispanic is really African. So Black people need to get the credit for that. Number two, Latin people are very passionate, and the music that we love is definitely Afro-rooted -- whether it's Bob Marley or Afro-Cuban -- because it deals with rhythms. (In response to the use of the term "Latin Explosion" in TV Guide, 19-25 February 2000 issue, Vol. 48, No. 8, 40-42.)

Living Colour
Lead singer of Sevendust (though I saw something hilarious on a youtube video where a racist fan said he's "Jamaican, not black" lol)

plus a billion other indie artists that I've yet to hear of...

Speaking of which what do you guys think of this Star Wars boycott? Are these people serious?
Dumb as a box of rocks!!
I'm rooting for John Boyega to have a long and successful career.
:up: me too man! as well as a Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther!! i hope those dudes go on to have illustrious careers they are so freaking cool!

Yeah, I think Boseman earned that role after the two biopics. His first time playing a fictional character should pose a good challenge.

I would think doing a biopic role would be more challenging since you have to mimic someone very accurately.

The BBC and Sky do these rock documentary shows every now and again which feature contributions from old rock stars. Most of those British invasion sixties bands all reference the black American artists that inspired them.

Keith Richards said the Rolling Stones pretty much repackaged back the black music that white America shunned. Another middle class white guy from a sixties band said he wanted to be black.

It is kind of funny to think that all these white English teenagers who went on to be successful rock stars of their day idolized African American's that were segregated from white society in their homeland.

Well, it's like the question Amandla Stenberg raised: What if we loved Black people as much as we loved Black culture?

Well, it's like the question Amandla Stenberg raised: What if we loved Black people as much as we loved Black culture?

There would be a lot more biracial kids running around.

There would be a lot more biracial kids running around.

I once read the funniest response to some White girl expressing her want of a mixed baby. Probably too much for this site. So, I'll just use this...

[YT]v_UapInEvIk[/YT]

The British Film Institute has uncovered what is believed to be the earliest known interracial kiss on British TV.

[YT]/kZfkPSkSbBo[/YT]

You in Your Small Corner was first broadcast live on ITV in June 1962 and has not been seen on TV since.

It was rediscovered in the BFI's National Archive.

It was broadcast earlier than an interracial kiss on Emergency Ward 10 in 1964 and on Star Trek in the US in 1968.

The kiss on Emergency Ward 10 between Joan Hooley and John White had been thought to be the first interracial kiss on a TV series in the UK.

In the US, a kiss between Lieutenant Uhura and Captain James T Kirk was seen in an episode of Star Trek from 1968.

You in Your Small Corner was an adaptation of a play by Jamaican-born Barry Reckord that had been performed at the Royal Court.

The playwright's brother Lloyd Reckord played a young man who travels to England from Jamaica to stay with his aunt in Brixton before heading to Cambridge to study.

Elizabeth MacLennan played the white woman with whom he becomes involved.

The play looked at the subtleties and difficulties the couple faced across race and class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"