The Official Bane Costume Thread - Part 4

hey guys, i've been gone for a while for a few reasons. really bummed that bane was not done in time for NYCC and will not be done for my halloween season... so coming on here just depressed me.
anyway, went to NYCC and wore one of my costumes from last year as well as helping my friends with their costumes. if you guys happen to see a very convincing captain america with a metal sheild, or a gunzerker with a real beard and a buttload of bullets- that's some of my work. we've wound up on a bunch of websites- nbc, huffington post, escapist magazine, entertainment weekly, ign, not to mention the fact that me and my friend got our pictures taken by a cartoon network guy and he said we're going to be a bump on adult swim (sweet!)...
i saw a few banes, not as many as you would think. there were more finns from adventure time than banes. more female captain americas, too.
i saw suparnovax there but did not know it was him, otherwise i'd have said hi. 2 female banes, one current, one traditional. both did decent jobs. also ran across a combo bane, and a guy who does the classic bane who had to duck to get out the doors of the convention center- biiiig dude.
anyway, had a lot of fun, looking forward to devoting more time to bane to get it just right...

It's no problem :).. I'm just so frustrated with the sculpt and been to the point of just scraping the project twice now, so it drove me crazy that no one said anything (inner cinema going wild and stuff).

It's kinda hard to pin point what causing the asymmetry, as the head-cast (which is crap in every possible way anyway) is itself sitting kinda crooked on the base as the styrofoam-head didn't want to go all the way down the rod of the plate.. I'd say it's mainly beacause the left cheek (as we look on it), is a bit too big and the upper nose-cylinders being a tad wrongly aligned..

Thank you for replying! :)

Edit: Here is a picture I rotated a bit, which in my opinion would be the right angle http://imgur.com/XatK0 . Think it could be just the cheek causing this.. Also what do you think about the nose-sockets? Need to be a bit smaller in my opinion.

Last edited:
final coat has been done for a bit now, and I'll be slathering on my plasti-paste mother at about 11pm. After that sets, and assuming everything went fine, then I finally get to cast this thing. I'm also picking up some rubber for the "gaskets" tomorrow morning.

ps: I forgot to make keys so I had to use these ******ed things I pulled out of a board game lol

1350342995.jpg

WELL N E WAY....

This was nerve wracking as F***. I got my first layer of rebound done, now I'm just waiting for it to be ready for the second. I only ended up using like 3 mixed Oz of silicone suprisingly. The next layers may need more however since they'll be thickened. We'll see.

1350323957.jpg
wow man, that looks so good
Here is an update of my sculpt if someone is even interested.. Would be glad about any feedback.. There is an asymmetrie which makes the makes drift to its left a bit, that bugs me :(..

G1V3z.jpg

Thanks!

Haven't any tidy work as smoothing up done yet..
keep up the great work cant wait to see it finished

hey guys, i've been gone for a while for a few reasons. really bummed that bane was not done in time for NYCC and will not be done for my halloween season... so coming on here just depressed me.
anyway, went to NYCC and wore one of my costumes from last year as well as helping my friends with their costumes. if you guys happen to see a very convincing captain america with a metal sheild, or a gunzerker with a real beard and a buttload of bullets- that's some of my work. we've wound up on a bunch of websites- nbc, huffington post, escapist magazine, entertainment weekly, ign, not to mention the fact that me and my friend got our pictures taken by a cartoon network guy and he said we're going to be a bump on adult swim (sweet!)...
i saw a few banes, not as many as you would think. there were more finns from adventure time than banes. more female captain americas, too.
i saw suparnovax there but did not know it was him, otherwise i'd have said hi. 2 female banes, one current, one traditional. both did decent jobs. also ran across a combo bane, and a guy who does the classic bane who had to duck to get out the doors of the convention center- biiiig dude.
anyway, had a lot of fun, looking forward to devoting more time to bane to get it just right...

I think I saw that Captain, stood out pretty well.

I was hoping to see more cool Banes too but most of them had the $20 mask from Rubies and I saw maybe two people with GCFX mask. A lot of people asked me about the JBrown mask.

8088159671_5758c63c05_b.jpg

8088177476_5d1dda4b62_b.jpg

If you can't tell, I am actually slowly dying inside the mask.

And here's a really cute Selina Kyle I bumped into

8088143310_e0e00810d5_h.jpg

That Selena looks fantastic! And you should definitely be proud I've seen pictures of you all over the Internet. Including one on Instagram with the caption "I found Bane!"

That Selena looks fantastic! And you should definitely be proud I've seen pictures of you all over the Internet. Including one on Instagram with the caption "I found Bane!"

Thanks. If I go to anymore cons anytime soon, I will do my best to match Ryan. He has the best one after all. I got lazy on my boots.

edit: Who was at Armagheddon? Spotted Roids mask and Siq vest?

http://instagram.com/p/QtNOdYm3Tk/

Last edited:
I saw a bunch of pics of him on there too (it's Roids). I'm pretty sure he made that vest too. IMO it's a lot better than his first one.

Last edited:
Well the final cast is out of the mold!!! you can tell it captured all the detail nicely. I't's a bit hard to see out of, but thats the life of a cosplayer I guess. I used a lot of "dehydration yellow" to color the urethane. I know most people might think it was more bluish in the movie, but I got some top secret behind the scenes pics and after talking with Tom Hardy on the phone he confirmed that the color was more of a "excess asparagus/bad kidney blend.

No need to thank me for the info just pay it forward.

Oh ya, if you want one they're $6000 a piece. Gotta cover my material cost after all.

1350364073.jpg

How much does it cost to rally up the tools to cast and sculpt? I'm thinking of leisurely making something in my spare time.

I saw a bunch of pics of him on there too (it's Roids). I'm pretty sure he made that vest too. IMO it's a lot better than his first one.

That's his original vest he just weathered and painted it differently

Hi, I'm lurking because I'm MJStephens' Mrs. and I'm hunting for vest tips. He's pressed for time and I'm about to start helping with his project.

Here's my specific question: On the front of the vest, in the central "armor part", the leathery shape-on the movie costume, the edges of it are a bit recessed. For anyone who has made the vest, have you been able to accomplish that recess by quilting? I'm pretty sure the vest is going to use up my batting stash, but the hubs is thinking about maybe not putting batting in the armored part of the vest.

I would appreciate anyone's feedback, and I would especially appreciate the thoughts of a tailor or professional costumer.

Hey, a girl can dream.

That's so good!
Do you mind if I pick your brain? (Just in case you don't mind, I'm going to fire away: )

Did you use batting in the main part of the vest throughout? If so, when you attached the vinyl armor plate parts, did you sew all the way through, or just to the top layer of (I'm assuming that's cordura)?

Did you use a sewing machine? If so, did you have to adjust the tension much where the belt/webbing bits were concerned?

TYIA

Oh! And the cream colored fabric you have on the belt, the lightest bit-that's not elastic, is it?

Got my first pull this morning, the mold turned out great, but I think the rubber I bought is too soft. I think I need something a bit more rigid*.

1350412256.jpg

*thats what she said

What rubber are you using? Looks good BTW
-Todd

What rubber are you using? Looks good BTW
-Todd

Thanks a lot bro! I used task 16 by recommendation from a chick at a smooth-on distributor. Not the best advice ever. The problem is that it just doesn't hold shape on the edges as well as I'd like with the thickness needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"