The Official Bane Costume Thread - Part 4

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Thread Manager, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Beast7

Beast7 Member

Damn thanks guys I'm just looking for an very accurate vest and I don't know if I should bid on it =\

2. Kiyashi

Kiyashi Well-Known Member

What a shame man. I actually was speaking to the guy about this. but if he modified it from wtf it was before then I don't think it's worth it. Why in the world did he have to mess with it. It was perfectly fine the way your vests were. Just a little weathering and it was perfect. Guess back to saving up for a SiQ vest I go =/

3. Spamtron

Spamtron THE MAN

Nice! And still comes in about 31 lbs ligher than the movie suits.

4. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

I'm not implying that theres some lost canon somewhere in which bane goes to footlocker and picks up a shirt, but the PROP they used in the movie looks a bit like under armour. It is just an option. Also you may not be aware of this, but under armour is EXTREMELY prominent in the military. I honestly forgot that they were mainly sports oriented.

Oh, and how would under armour not be "bane like" but a faded glory shirt from walmart would? Lol

5. ssjohn311

ssjohn311 Member

Not trying to start an argument over this. I never said the walmart one was bane like, it was just the best I could find. Thats why I asked for some help for a more accurate one on these forums. Thanks for the input.

6. ssjohn311

ssjohn311 Member

That vest on ebay looks like a costumebase vest with all that silver on the pads. Not a fan of what he did to it.

7. SUPARNOVAX

SUPARNOVAX Well-Known Member

The importance is the right texture the vest shows off and the SiQ looks like they nailed it or they are really close. Sizing is probably the wildest thing most vest attempts haven't gotten down yet. Hopefully the new bluray release will also pack some good BTS footage of Hardy.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Not arguing. Just kinda puzzled for a sec.

9. Luckyslev

Luckyslev That one guy

I think if you're going for the plane scene look, then a black slightly tighter fitting long sleeve will work...no matter what it is. As long as you have anything better than a rubies mask no one will question you. That's my fall back for halloween if I can't get my vest finished in the next week and a half

10. Dakins

Dakins Member

Thanks! We're playing with a couple ideas. One is to do a full layer of batting in the piece, and then I would understitch the armor on around it's edges (so it would be invisible. I'd need one hell of a thimble and about three hours, but it's a viable option.) Then I'd quilt in the ditch. MJStephens (my hubby, this is his vest here) thought maybe to cut out the shape of the armor pieces out of the batting, so that in sewing down the edges of the armor, the vest seen at the sides of the armor is thicker inherently.

The armor construction itself is getting bounced around some, too, with my husband's initial idea being a layer of styrene, then a layer of 1/2" foam, then wrapping that (like you'd upholster a headboard) with the vinyl that gets seen. There are several issues with this for me. 1: how do you attach all the layers without adding lumpy thicknesses (hot glue or fabric glue), sharp bits (staples), etc, and even still again, how do you attach it to the vest (I DO NOT BELIEVE VELCRO IS A GOOD IDEA) and still move credibly.

Dilemmas all around.

RDMaul...I would love you forever for any insight. (Don't tell MJStephens, he'll never know...)

...D'OH!:doh:

11. borommokot

borommokot Member

12. stricky345

stricky345 Active Member

Dakins, if you find a good way how to do it let me know! :)

13. ssjohn311

ssjohn311 Member

[​IMG]

My Proglogue Bane. Got the shirt from Wal Mart for 10 bucks. Still has the tags on the front. Ill post another pic with mask and new boots next week.

14. Doctor Who

Doctor Who KIDNEYS!!!

Wow!!! Those are the best custom boots I've seen yet; job very well done! :hrt:

15. Mysterynigma

Mysterynigma Well-Known Member

16. MJStephens

MJStephens Active Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  17. Doctor Who

Doctor Who KIDNEYS!!!

18. BlackHawk9790

BlackHawk9790 Active Member

19. SUPARNOVAX

20. ClownPrincess

ClownPrincess Member

As much as I disagree with anyone shaving their head, I suppose Bane is an exception. ;)

21. SUPARNOVAX

It's the only way.

I shaved last wednesday and my hair is already growing back.

22. stricky345

stricky345 Active Member

Here is an update on my sad excuse of a sculpt:
    [​IMG]

Next days will be dedicated to smoothing everything up and do the final touch-ups..

Frustrated how everything turned out.. The head-cast was warped a lot towards the back of the head and it is very flat-headed, which screwed up the whole positioning of the side. I hope once this is cast up, that actually wearing it, stretches everything in order a bit, but don't have much hope..

The clay dried up considerably already and I hope that that and my sloppy working doesn't bite me in the arse at the end...

23. VenomShock

VenomShock Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna put this out right now. But does anybody have any costume items they're selling right now? Jbrown mask, vest, anything?

24. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Your two main problems were:

1: bad life cast.
    2: you used wet clay.

You would have had an infinitely easier time with just a generic head, and some sulfur-free modeling clay bro.

25. stricky345

stricky345 Active Member

Ya, I guess the hugest problem was the very poor head-cast I'd say. Lesson learned even if friends want a budget build, don't save at the wrong end. We'll see what I can get out of this when smoothing. The clay is still workable so I hope the heat and humidity from the plaster will reactivate it enough to get everything out of mold safely. Question of interest. Can you mold oil-based clay in plaster too? Do you heat it up to get out of the mold or use alcohol?