The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know how much he's asking. Make an offer!

If he's willing to accept $00.00USD (that is pretty much all what I currently have) then consider that as my current offer!

Well, depending on size, I would pay about $300-$500 for The Joker, considering about what you'd hafta pay for the same or slightly better quality bust of the same size from DC or WB.

Last edited:

This is one of the few Nicholson joker busts out there....i dont know who its from or what the price is on these.

Saw this on Ebay this morning. Thought it was pretty neat.

That's sooo awesome, I love retro promotional materials that one takes the cake.

I'm guessing it was used for the comic adaptation of Batman (1989).

Awesome comic display, Shane! Thanks for posting this! :)

What I'd like to know is if there was a bigger sequence planned for the Joker Van in the first Burton movie...

1989-ertl-batman-joker-van.gif

I had the toy van as a kid and even though I've seen the movie a batload of times, it took me forever (give or take 25 years) to realize the van is actually in the movie...

i268456.jpg

batmanbatmobile1.3407.jpg

batmanjokervan1.9555.jpg

I guess each and every time I watched this scene from 'Batman' I was too mesmerized by the Batmobile and/or Miss Basinger to notice anything else around it.

Anyway, I'm sure they didn't costumize the Chevy van just to be out of focus in some corner of the screen.
Does anyone know if there was more action planned for this unsung vehicle?

It's funny I had never realized the van was actually in the film until a few years ago when I first watched the blu-ray, funny stuff.

Hey, I never noticed that, despite having the toy as well.

There was an extended car chase sequence story boarded for the film. Could it have in fact been shot?

There was an extended car chase sequence story boarded for the film. Could it have in fact been shot?

Interesting... I don't think I've seen those storyboards...

Here's another image from the actual Joker Van on the Pinewood set taken from the 1989 documentary 'Batman: The Making of a Hero'...

JokerVanonlocation_s_zps64b94d01.jpg

I'm pretty sure a bigger part was planned for it... Why else would they have made toys of it in several sizes if kids wouldn't see it in action on the silver screen? Why make a fully detailed vehicle prop just to have it barely visible in the background?
Either some van scene was actually shot but ultimately ended on the cutting room floor or it was abandonned altogether prior to principal photography but after the prop car was built.

Anyhoo... I wonder what happened to the van... Could it still exist?

Here we are: the story board shows The Joker in the van:

You can see the rest on the DVD extras, or all over the internet.

Edit: Here we go- just ignore the dodgy voice acting.

[YT]_BknHApJ6e0[/YT]

Last edited:
That's right... I remember seeing this in the special features section of the DVD...
I was probably so flabbergasted by seeing Batman on horseback and the inclusion of the Boy wonder that I didn't pay attention to the fact that Joker was riding in the Joker Van. :)

Anyway, it's a pretty cool scene they had planned. I can't help but wonder how different the first Burton Batman movie would've been if they actually went through with this idea...

Thanks for posting this, regwec! :)

I still can't imagine Robin in either Burton movie. Both the Flying Graysons in the parade and Marlon Wayans helping to repair the Batmobile sound like last minute additions to the script and come so late in the movie that it's hard to imagine Robin having much more than a cameo.

You can see the rest on the DVD extras, or all over the internet.

Edit: Here we go- just ignore the dodgy voice acting.

[YT]_BknHApJ6e0[/YT]

I seriously hope you're not talking about Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill.

Alas, I am. I love them both for all that they have done for those characters and their fans, but the audio on that clip doesn't sound right to me.

Exactly... they really should have gotten people who sounded closer to Keaton and Nicholson.

But they sound as good as they've ever had in that clip. Conroy only gets a few grunts and small phrases, so he's hardly going to shine, but Hamill was Hamill. His classic Joker...

It's Jason Hillhouse that stunk up that clip.

Jason Hillhouse sounded like that security guard from Batman Forever. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"