The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to derail the thread, but is the movie any good? I read that it doesn't focus on Michael, so that kinda turned me off from it.

There's only a easter egg of Michael but that's it. For me I love it for what it was (also the soundtrack is amazing) and I also enjoyed the idea they wanted to do which was having each Halloween film tell a different story...sadly that didn't panned out. So you may not like it but just think of it as another horror film and you'll be fine. And also..It's got Tom freakin Atkins.

Now back on topic...

Last edited:
http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/64235810223/read-my-lips-x-batman-the-animated-series

hkkrdiT.gif
L7jew9Y.gif

D499BKe.gif
y6JFi9s.gif

BTAS Episode: Fire From Olympus

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/64732302981/fire-from-olympus-x-batman-the-animated-series

isylaIe.gif
TjnyEOg.gif

bRm6Rsm.gif
ckXKu9R.gif

qp4q4zN.gif
83bjT0h.gif

1yTPZqk.gif
w6z0lqf.gif

DhDf0HH.gif
8WknB8N.gif

Trivia
  • Fittingly, Stavros is captured next to the Zorbas, which has Greek letters Omega and Alpha in the title. The name is derived from a novel called Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
  • Maxie's line "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" comes from Percy Bysshe Shelley's Ozymandias, a poem telling of human hubris.
  • Many references to Greek Mythology are made in this episode:
  • The Hydra was a many headed dragon that would re-grow heads after they were cut off. It was eventually killed by Heracles and Iolaus. The boar is the Erymanthian Boar, another one of Heracles' opponents.
  • Although of Roman origin, Janus was in fact depicted as a two-faced god and was lord of beginnings and endings, doors and gates.
  • Demeter, whom Maxie Zeus equates with Poison Ivy, was a goddess of fertility and was responsible for times of plenty. The winter and autumn months came when she was grieving over the loss of her daughter Persephone. Poison Ivy had previously used Demeter as a pseudonym.
  • Hermes, whom Maxie Zeus equates with the Joker, was the messenger of the gods. He was considered to be a trickster and a thief as well.
  • Clio, whom Maxie Zeus equates with his assistant, was the muse of history and often depicted as being a daughter of Zeus. The muses were minor goddesses but they too were worshiped.
  • Hades, whom Maxie Zeus equates with Batman, was the eldest of the Olympian gods, and ruler of the underworld. Though considered a Dark God, he was not actually evil and kept the dead in check. In this continuity, however, Hades is depicted as an evil villain and Batman actually comes into conflict with him in "Paradise Lost".
  • Bellerophon, whom Maxie equates a Police Blimp to, was a mortal warrior who managed to tame the winged horse Pegasus, he eventually tried to join the gods on Mount Olympus but was killed by a thunderbolt from Zeus.
  • Harpies were creatures used by Zeus to punish evil people by eating and spoiling their food, and carrying them off for torture before their deaths. However, they were usually depicted as having heads of women and bodies of birds.
  • On Yanni Stavros' file, he is listed as a resident of Gotham City, New York—but his zip code is 90068, the zip code of Los Angeles. In "Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero", Barbara Gordon and Dean Arbagast were given New York zipcodes starting with 100.
  • Maxie Zeus recognizes Two-Face as Janus, however, Janus was a god of Roman mythology, not Greek, and does not have a Greek equivalent. He also mentions "Lord Vulcan", which is the Roman name for Hephaestus

Amazing sword fight that was more cinematic than the Ra's and Batman monorail fight in BB, imho. The old school swashbuckling score added to the excitement as well. Outstanding two-part episode overall.

Batman's reaction to finding out Scarface is a puppet is hilarious, as is Bruce Timm's Conroy impression on the commentary.
Agreed about Batman's reaction. And Rhino being afraid of Scarface was also hilarious. I love the way Batman takes on Rhino like he's another common thug despite Rhino being 7 feet tall and probably about 300 or so pounds. I also liked the way Batman outsmarted Scarface with his own ventriloquism. Batman is a man with many talents.

And also..It's got Tom freakin Atkins.

I always thought Tom Atkins would've made a great Gordon back in the day.

I love that end scene in Arkham when Zeus was equating Joker, Dent, and Ivy to Greek gods lol.

Eh, not a fan of Maxie Zeus, that episode was pretty forgettable. The ending was funny though.

I wish Selina was blond in films or other media. I loved her look in BTAS.

Michelle was the exception for me. I guess I didn't mind it that much in B:TAS but Selina will always have dark hair when I think of her. I kind of wish they didn't copy Burton with that.

Michelle was the exception for me. I guess I didn't mind it that much in B:TAS but Selina will always have dark hair when I think of her. I kind of wish they didn't copy Burton with that.

They didn't have a choice. WB forced Timm to use the Burton designs for Penguin and Catwoman to help promote Returns.

They didn't have a choice. WB forced Timm to use the Burton designs for Penguin and Catwoman to help promote Returns.

Yet when Timm had the chance to break away from those designs for TNBA he strangely made Catwoman look even more like the Burton version. Minus the stitching.

2nib01v.jpg

16ixyyt.jpg

Yet when Timm had the chance to break away from those designs for TNBA he strangely made Catwoman look even more like the Burton version. Minus the stitching.

I was talking about blonde Selina Kyle. That was distinctly Batman Returns. Catwoman having a skin tight black costume was not. She's had that before. He changed Selina to a brunette, and Penguin to classic looking Penguin.

PG1.jpg

"Freed from their constraints of Batman Returns"

Oh I'm aware of that... I'm just saying TNBA Catwoman reminds me very much of Burton's version. The style, the pale white skin, etc.

She was blonde at one point in the comics as well... but you're right, Blonde Catwoman was pretty much exclusive to Batman Returns and the mandated B:TAS version.

2h5r4h1.jpg

5b4lmb.jpg

I really like Blonde Selina.

Not that big of a deal to me. Same with Eckhart being a blond Harvey or Craig being a blond Bond.

Oh I'm aware of that... I'm just saying TNBA Catwoman reminds me very much of Burton's version. The style, the pale white skin, etc.

She was blonde at one point in the comics as well... but you're right, Blonde Catwoman was pretty much exclusive to Batman Returns and the mandated B:TAS version.

2h5r4h1.jpg

5b4lmb.jpg

I really like Blonde Selina.

I like blonde Selina too. Michelle will remain the greatest Catwoman for a long time. Hathaway didn't even close to her performance imo. Michelle Pfeiffer defines Catwoman for me. It's a shame that she wasn't a bigger name after Batman Returns.

Does anyone have that awesome B:TAS book? it's bigger than normal books, soft cover and almost exclusively pictures. It's got a bunch of conceptual designs for characters in BTAS and gives a lot of insight on the series

EDIT: here it is
Book_Review_2_Batman_The_Animated_Series_Art_Book.jpg

BTAS Episode: Shadow of the Bat (pt1)

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/65744024247/shadow-of-the-bat-x-batman-the-animated-series

dKmDtUP.gif
PRnOpJp.gif

sV0lFLY.gif
sKy3egg.gif

re2FZ5y.gif
pX5OndN.gif

l5n0605.gif
mU6tEM7.gif

vdLOsRK.gif
PXuVCiy.gif

Trivia
  • Two-Face is the only supervillain to appear in more than one two-parter episode in the series. He appears in two.
  • Barbara first appeared in "I Am the Night" and first aided Batman in "Heart of Steel" before donning a costume.
  • Woobie, Barbara's cherished teddy bear, reappears from "Heart of Steel".
  • Although Barbara Gordon and Dick Grayson are shown dating in later episodes, he does not become aware of her secret identity until The New Batman Adventures.
  • Mason either never awakes from his coma or lost his memory, because if he does wake up, his first act would likely be to expose Barbara.
  • Janet Van Dorn returns in "Trial" where she has a bigger and more significant role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"