The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 3

Why is Bane ranked so highly? It's one of the weakest episodes in the show in my opinion and it completely misrepresented Bane as a character. I certainly wouldn't put it above Two-Face, RIddlers Reform or The Man who Killed Batman.
I loved it. We got very little Bane in the DCAU. Bummer.

I have Kevin Conroy as the new feature with Batman as the voice of my Waze navigational system.

And got to be honest ...

His Batman voice is by far and away, ridiculously overrated. It’s so uninteresting and bland.

Keaton’s whisper, Bale’s growl, now Pattinson with an interesting mixture of the two, and hell even Affleck’s lazy voice modulator.

All vastly superior takes on Batman’s voice.

You can't please everybody. And if you are judging him based on bland, mind numbing dialogue from a Waze app, recorded in isolation during lockdown with no real direction, then that's hardly fair.

Nobody can touch Peak Conroy in terms of acting.

90s/early 00s Conroy is utterly fantastic and worthy of every bit of praise.

But I'll be honest, I haven't enjoyed his Batman voice for probably the past decade. The direction he went with the Arkham games never worked for me. The darker he goes with it, it just becomes more stiff and bland. Same story with Killing Joke. To me, Conroy worked best as a Batman who's dark, but still has those touches of warmth, humor, humanity, etc. And the difference in pitch between his Bruce and Batman voice is so great. He's able to bring the whole spectrum of the character wonderfully in way that feels definitive. But when he's hired to just be the grimdark, one-note Batman, it doesn't work nearly as well. This is as much a writing and directing issue as anything I suppose.

He seems like a wonderful guy and I'm happy for him that he's still getting the work, though.

When he is with Romano/Timm, he's gold. Without them, he can over do it at times, but I do blame that on direction. With Romano retired and his collabs with Timm few and far between, it can be patchy.

It's almost like he crunches down on the vocal chords to create the sound at times, but he is still my favourite Bat-voice. His work from 1992-2012 is unmatched as far as I'm concerned.

As I recall in TKJ Conroy was trying really hard to not sound aged at all from TAS, or maybe even younger than he was then, but not making it work.

I really enjoyed his performance in 'The Killing Joke'. He was so understated and brought alot of emotion to it.

It might be controversial, but I thought it was Hamill who sounded noticeably older and didn't bring his A-game.

I really enjoyed his performance in 'The Killing Joke'. He was so understated and brought alot of emotion to it.

It might be controversial, but I thought it was Hamill who sounded noticeably older and didn't bring his A-game.
Would it be heretical of me to suggest that both of them were well past their sell-by date when they did TKJ? :halo:

Would it be heretical of me to suggest that both of them were well past their sell-by date when they did TKJ? :halo:

In that case, Keaton will stink up the place in 'The Flash'. He must be well past the sell by date now. :p

Conroy still sounds pretty youthful to me and can still do alot more as Batman (with the right project) but Hamill is definitely showing his age through his voice. Perhaps he was a heavy smoker?

really liked perchance of a dream ,although the end kinda bug me considering that I can read when I dream (may depend from person to person though) ,I liekd that the mad hatter just appeared at the end of the episode

Whoever it is that keeps getting Hamill and Conroy to recite dialogue from more recent Batman/Joker portrayals really needs to get John Glover to read Dano’s teaser dialogue.

This is epic!

Btw, recently started rewatching TAS on Blu Ray. the remasters are amazing!

No surprise here Jason Todd still gets the crowbar beating by The Joker in the Adventures continues . Its actually more gritty and graphical than the original comic. He's bloody and broken.

887120._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Comparing the BTAS and TNBA designs, were there any of the revamped designs you guys preferred? I know TNBA gets a bit of a bad rep, but I personally love it and love many of the designs.

I love both Batman designs, but have always preferred the overall look of the TNBA design.

BTAS Catwoman is a masterpiece. Her revamped design could have been good if they added a bit more to it. It was too flat.

Jokers best look is when they combined the two for his subsequent appearances in JLU etc

Love both Ivy designs equally.

Penguin: TNBA But still love the Devito look
Bane: TNBA
Riddler: BTAS
Two Face: BTAS
Scarecrow: Both
Killer Croc: BTAS
Mr Freeze: Both

Batgirl: love both but TNBA

I think the redesigns were mostly pretty big declines, especially Poison Ivy, but Batgirl, the Penguin, Ventriloquist and Clayface and of course Two-Face and Harley were as good, Catwoman, Batman and the Joker were lesser but still quite good.

Literally the only redesigns I preferred were for the Scarecrow and Bane. And even with the Scarecrow, I only marginally preferred the TNBA redesign. I liked the Riddler's redesign about the same as the old one, with probably a slight leaning towards the original design. The rest of the TNBA designs ranged from okay (the Joker) to just flat-out bad (Catwoman).

I appreciate the greater comic book accuracy of the Penguin's revamped look, but thought the original design's DeVito-esque deformities contrasted rather brilliantly with the character's erudite and cultured personality. There was no sense of menace with the TNBA Penguin. I know he was meant to have gone relatively straight as the owner of the Iceberg Lounge, but I think there should still be at least some hint of the potential for danger there.

I also thought Mr. Freeze's freaky spiderhead design was pretty badass. Overall I still preferred the original design, but that spiderhead gimmick was really quite cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"