The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 3

We’re due for a good animated Batman show. I can’t believe it’s been so long since we got one. Beware the Batman was barely a blip on most people’s radar.
I’d love a BTAS revival. Would be really awesome to see those amazing designs with modern animation.

I'd rather they do something new. You can't replicate that. It was such a perfect storm. Plus Conroy and Hamill just sound different. I think the DCAU is long past. Though I wouldn't mind if you brought the old writers back at least to work on a new iteration if they have one.

I don't think the DCAU is long past. There's certainly more juice in Beyond and JLU, if they want to explore it.

Also, while Hamill definitely sounds different, I think Conroy still sounds great (when motivated to give a good performance). He always does better under Timm's direction.

I’m in between. I would love more BTAS, but do feel like it’s time for something new entirely.
But, I wouldn’t be mad if we did get more BTAS.

This being pre-JLU, I’m curious how deep into her career as Huntress she will be...

Simon has done two versions of the Long Halloween villains splash panel page in the style of BTAS and TNBA

While the BTAS designs are better overall, I absolutely love the TNBA/JLU designs.
The TNBA Ivy is just so good, as is the scarecrow. I also really love the JLU Joker because he is such a perfect mix of the last two designs.

I just rewatched this and Superman on HBO Max for the first time in about 15 years and both held up great. These are just some of my random thoughts on Batman TAS please feel free to leave comments!
  • The HD transfer look amazing on HBO Max. Over the last 15 years I only saw a handful of episodes on Amazon and they did not look too great on a HD TV. The HD versions really bring out the colors and make things more clear. I know HD transfers can be controversial because some feel it takes away from the original but I think this helped it.
  • This show has so many good storylines! The show really makes you care for the characters and does an excellent job setting up the villains. Some of these stories would be great as a film.
  • The voice work is fantastic. I love how Conroy used different voices for Batman/Bruce and Hamil is great as joker.
  • Love the style of the show.
  • I think this version of Batman is one of the most interesting because they remind us that Batman is only human. Over the years I found that "Bat-God" approach to get boring fast in comics and films because it is not interesting to see Batman face little challenge. In TAS and TNA Batman falls for traps and makes mistakes when solving a mystery. In most of the episodes where is he in combat he gets defeated pretty easily and the villain usually gets away. Having Batman be weak made him interesting because throughout the episodes we see him learn what we did wrong and it makes the story more interesting seeing him win at the very end from learning about what he did wrong though.
  • While Batman is weak on the show he is also equally a badass. As I said I'm not a fan of Bat-God. Having Batman use all this crazy armor and gadgets makes the character less interesting. In the show the Batsuit offers no protection. The suit is constantly getting ripped and his gadgets get damaged or taken away. Seeing Batman fight with a damaged suit and no gadgets really shows us how much of a badass he is. Me and my cousin joked though how much money he probably wasted on new suits and gadgets though.
Not too many complaints I had. These were just a few:
  • I think some episodes would have benefitted with more two parters. Some episodes felt rushed.
  • I wish some of the villains appeared more.

I thought it was interesting that in TNBA Selina looked less like in BR but Catwoman looked more like that version.

I definitely wouldn’t say Batman was weak, he just wasn’t ridiculously powerful like he sometimes is in the comics.
But yeah, I wouldn’t say he was weak. He was just more so a normal dude in a costume in the show.

He wasn't weak by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say he had strong durability because he got knocked around quite a bit. But he always came back and won the day.

Bruce was in physical peek, everytime you saw him excerse or train.

Regarding Batman: The Adventures Continue, Season Two:

I was just charged £3.19 ($4.52) for a chopped up, 10 page DIGITAL comic. Frankly, that's even too expensive for a complete digital issue. In the UK, we can buy two full physical comics for under £3.00. Who's charging these prices, DC or Comixology?

The release schedule for this thing is also sloppy and unprofessional. Dates gets changed at last minute. Solicitations are never properly updated. One day they want to release it in split chapters, the next it's the full issue, then back again.

Look, I want to support this comic, but I've just cancelled my digital subscription. This was the first comic I ever bought digitally and will no doubt be the last.

It's interesting how the Court of Owls has become such a pivotal society integrated into the Batman mythology in various formats of content from the comics, to an animated feature, an arc in the Gotham TV series, the upcoming video game and nods to the Matt Reeves world of Batman.

It's very remincent to how much Batman: The Animated Series redefined the character and world in pop culture.

Last edited:
Regarding Batman: The Adventures Continue, Season Two:

I was just charged £3.19 ($4.52) for a chopped up, 10 page DIGITAL comic. Frankly, that's even too expensive for a complete digital issue. In the UK, we can buy two full physical comics for under £3.00. Who's charging these prices, DC or Comixology?

The release schedule for this thing is also sloppy and unprofessional. Dates gets changed at last minute. Solicitations are never properly updated. One day they want to release it in split chapters, the next it's the full issue, then back again.

Look, I want to support this comic, but I've just cancelled my digital subscription. This was the first comic I ever bought digitally and will no doubt be the last.
That’s really weird. Mine was the full issue. Maybe contact ComiXology and let them know about this.

s1hcwFo.jpg

Batman Mask of the Phantasm Artwork

More retrospective videos on BTAS:

What if the Joker met Ferris Boyle, would he notice the similar voice if so how would he react?

Love this.

This is amazing!

Makes me wish for a DCAU/B:TAS style remake of not just the Nolan movies, but also the Burton ones

Would love to hear Mark Hamill’s take on Jack & Heath’s dialogue. He’ll definitely have fun with it and make it his own

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"