The Official Batman Titles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Batman has a son should have a little more effect, in the entire DCU, than 4 issues.
Um, those four issues was the introduction of Batman's son back into the DCU. It's painfully clear that Morrison has more planned for him. Granted, that could just be Batman #666, I don't know...but neither do you.

As I said, Morrison's story-telling methods on the title have been suspect, but you're completely ignoring all of the good ingredients he does bring to the book.

As for Detective... Look, Dini created exactly what you're praising him for in BTAS: independent, classic Batman stories that could be enjoyed by anyone without any previous knowledge. That's great. But the difference between BTAS and his comic run, is BTAS actually characterized Batman. Actually made him more than just the straight man for villains' bent antics. THAT was great storytelling. THAT was classic storytelling. Detective isn't. By neglecting Batman so thoroughly, I would ague Detective is just as "disrespectful" to a character as Ninja Manbats are.

Dini is a better writer than this. Dini should realize great stories come not simply from snappy plots and colorful villains, but great characterization all around. And he's failed at that thoroughly with his Detective run.

If Batman were a new character, I'd agree with you. But Batman's already been thoroughly defined. What characterization is there left to do? That's one of the luxuries afforded to writers who tackle major characters: they don't have to have tons of character development. You see Batman and you automatically know who he is and what he's about, which frees Dini up to tell great, archetypal detective stories with Batman in the archetypal hard-boiled detective role. Frankly, I'd take Dini's method of crafting great, self-contained stories around the archetypal Batman we're all familiar with over Morrison's willy-nilly retconning and stupid additions to the character's family any day.

Morrison's not exactly exploring new territory either, given that Batman's already had not one, not two, but three boys he looks at as sons, one of whom is every bit the obnoxious prick that his biological son is. Batman as a father is nothing new. :o

so i just read DETECTIVE COMICS #833
and
I am so glad he is back. joker!!!!!!!! so sweet!! shoots Zatanna in the throat!!!!!!

And not to mention that Joker has Batman strapped to a chair that's shooting him with electricity. I'd say the Joker has "owned" them both. The only thing that Joker needs is some kyrptonite and Superman on his knees begging for mercy. And the ownage is complete.

DTC834_p3.jpg

DTC834_p4.jpg

DTC834_p5.jpg

DTC834_p6.jpg

DETECTIVE COMICS #834
Written by Paul Dini
Art by Don Kramer & Wayne Faucher
Cover by Simone Bianchi
The stunning conclusion, building on last issue’s shocking revelations! As Batman is brutally tortured in an inescapable deathtrap, the mortally wounded Zatanna is unable to speak the magic words to save them both! Meanwhile, the mad magician known as Loxias embarks on his farewell performance, intending to kill hundreds of spectators in the grand finale!
On sale July 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Looks good. I like how Bruce finally realizes what a dick he's been.

I don't like how the solicit is covered in the first five pages of the preview.

I don't like how the solicit is covered in the first five pages of the preview.

Agreed, although it will be an interesting battle with Joker to say the least. I'm sure Dini will give us something great.

People should start putting these damn preview pages in spoiler tags. Not everybody wants to be spoiled before the issue comes out.

People should stop crying like little *****es.

People should stop assuming that people are crying like little *****es for wanting to actually NOT be spoiled. Why don't you go get a life, dude?

^ sweet your much more advanced than those old 101 models.
Anyone else glad to see joker without the scars on his face that we saw in 663.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"