The Official Batman Titles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the latest Detective Comics issue today (great ending btw) and noticed something in the last page. It had the editor explaining some of the things in the teaser picture released in February. One of the boxes with Batman in symbolic garb holding a sword was explained (I'm paraphrasing here) as meaning that a presumably dead foe would return. Maybe I read into it to much, or I missed something lately, and it's just an old foe, but I'm thinking Ra's Al Ghul isn't as dead as some think.

Whatever, it's not like anyone expected Ra's to stay dead. :o

Especially since they already offed Nyssa, who will likely stay dead.

Possibly, but she doesn't have the decades and decades of history behind her that Ra's does. Plus, come on, it's Ra's al Ghul! His whole schtick is living forever and coming back from certain death.

DSC_0162.jpg

page from batman 671. art by tony daniel inks johnathan glapion.

issue 666 was awesome. the whole premiseof damien offering his soul for the survival of gotham city is pretty damn interesting. cool thing is he admits he would never be as good as his dad or dick grayson. wish grant went more into the historyof the death of batman and dick(if he did die).

i would'ntmind seeing damien taking over the mantle of the bat one day in the future. as long as this premise sticks around.

At least Morrison admitted to Grayson's awesomeness.

I'm pretty sure if they did a "MAX" version of Batman, where Damien was under the mantle, it would be one of the best things, ever.

He first appeared in 1971’s Batman #232 by Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams, and tormented Batman for years. Ra’s al Ghul was a villain who wasn’t cut from the same cloth as Batman’s other foes – Ra’s wasn’t a freak, a half monster bent on revenging a wrong or petty crime. Ra’s was a force to be reckoned with – a James Bond style villain for whom the world was his target. For over three decades, Ra’s tormented Batman in any variety of ways in a…complicated relationship which saw Batman and Ra’s daughter, Talia having a child together (Damian, currently appearing in Batman).

And then, in 2004’s Batman: Death and the Maidens, Ra’s died.

And was cremated.

But still, could a man who had died and come back to life any number of times, thanks to his Lazarus Pits, ever really die?

Apparently not, and that’s what’s at the heart of an eight-part story taking place in DC’s Batman titles this fall: “The Resurrection of Ra’s al Ghul.” It kicks off with a prelude in October’s Batman #670, and gets rolling with the November titles. WE spoke with Batman group editor Mike Marts about the storyline.

Newsarama: To start Mike, with a name like "The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul" - there's not a ton of mystery left in the story...but still - where did this one come from? Was it part of Grant Morrison's larger Batman plan all along?

Mike Marts: We decided right from the start to let readers know exactly what the story was about—hence the straightforward storyarc title, “The Resurrection of Ra’s al Ghul”. That being said, this tale has plenty of mystery throughout its entire run. The fact that Ra’s might be resurrected is just one piece of the intricate puzzle that Grant and crew have cooked up.

The involvement of Talia al Ghul and Damian and the al Ghul lineage is an ingredient that Grant’s been playing with since he started on Batman...but the decision to bring Ra’s back into the picture was cooked up between Grant and Dan DiDio at last year’s San Diego Comic-Con, I believe.

NRAMA: As you said, Talia and Damian have played a large role in Grant’s Batman to date, but what specifically gets the ball rolling on this, story-wise? Damien misses grandpa?

MM: A few things get this party started...to kick things off, I-Ching (an old Wonder Woman character for those of you keeping score) is attacked by a group of assassins...it seems they’re after a talisman which may lead them on the secret road to Nanda Parbat. Enter Batman. Meanwhile, Talia receives an unexpected house guest...

NRAMA: Just so we're all factual here, Ra's died in Death and the Maidens, right? In terms of the DCU, how long has he been gone?

MM: Correct, Ra’s died in Death and the Maidens. And figure that took place a little over a year ago in DC Continuity time.

NRAMA: What's Batman's response to this? He and Ra's have been enemies and uneasy allies over the years. Where does Batman's view fall on keeping the dead in the ground?

MM: Let’s just say that Batman felt this particular chapter of his life was closed for good...if Ra’s is indeed back, I don’t think Bruce is going to be too happy about it.

NRAMA: Editorially - why bring a character like Ra's back? What's the difference in Batman's larger "world" without a Ra's compared to a world with one?

Let’s face it—Batman has the best rogues gallery of villains in all of comics. Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, the list goes on and on...but even with all of these great villains, if the one or two arch-villains—like Joker or Ra’s al Ghul—go missing for too long, there’s just this void that needs to be filled. A villain that great can’t stay dead forever, right? Especially one with a knack for immortality!

NRAMA: What's the scope of the story? Obviously, this is Grant Morrison's story to kick off and get rolling, but Ra's has always loomed large - perhaps the largest of Batman's modern-day enemies. Will this be spilling out to involve any of the other titles?

MM: All of the core Batman Family titles will be involved: Batman, Detective, Robin and Nightwing. In fact, this is the first inter-group Batman crossover that we’ve attempted in some time.

NRAMA: Any other changes coming in those titles at this point? (creative changes)

MM: Our biggest change is the arrival of Tony Daniel as the regular artist on Batman. Tony’s been wanting to draw the Dark Knight for a long, long time and we’ve finally been able to hand him the reins. And fans of Andy Kubert shouldn’t worry—Andy is working on a top secret Bat-project as we speak...something we hope to be able to tell you more about soon.

Other than Tony, we have a combination of some regular Batman talents along with some exciting guest creators...Grant Morrison and Paul Dini will write the Batman and Detective chapters, of course, while guest writers Peter Milligan and Fabian Nicieza step in for two months to pen Robin and Nightwing, respectively. Freddie E. Williams stays on as Robin artist, while Don Kramer moves over to take on the two Nightwing chapters. And to cap things off, Wildstorm regular Ryan Benjamin will draw the two Detective installments.

NRAMA: How long will this story run?

MM: Eight parts. A prelude in Batman #670 in October. And then 7 parts running throughout Robin, Nightwing, Detective and Batman in November and December.

NRAMA: Broad strokes, obviously, but how will Batman's world be different as a result of this when it's all said and done?

MM: Well, it’s tough to answer that questions without spilling the beans on how things end, but suffice it to say that when all is said and done the lives of all the characters involved—Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Talia, Damian and Ra’s—won’t be the same.

Sounds like it could be pretty good... Looks like I'll have to add Robin and Nightwing to my list for two months though, to get the full story.

Oh. So I can't criticize anything you enjoy?
I really don't think he said that at all.

As for Detective... Look, Dini created exactly what you're praising him for in BTAS: independent, classic Batman stories that could be enjoyed by anyone without any previous knowledge. That's great. But the difference between BTAS and his comic run, is BTAS actually characterized Batman. Actually made him more than just the straight man for villains' bent antics. THAT was great storytelling. THAT was classic storytelling. Detective isn't. By neglecting Batman so thoroughly, I would ague Detective is just as "disrespectful" to a character as Ninja Manbats are.

Dini is a better writer than this. Dini should realize great stories come not simply from snappy plots and colorful villains, but great characterization all around. And he's failed at that thoroughly with his Detective run.
I don't know how you can draw that distinction. Really THINK about that show. The best episodes were Heart of Ice, Feat of Clay, the Two-Face origin, Almost Got 'Em, Mad Love, and pretty much anything with the Joker.
The worst ones were ones like Baby Doll. That show was DEFINED by the villains. The best episodes WERE the ones that focused on the villains, and made those villains cool. The worst episodes were the ones that had lame-ass villains.

I don't know how you can draw that distinction. Really THINK about that show. The best episodes were Heart of Ice, Feat of Clay, the Two-Face origin, Almost Got 'Em, Mad Love, and pretty much anything with the Joker.
The worst ones were ones like Baby Doll. That show was DEFINED by the villains. The best episodes WERE the ones that focused on the villains, and made those villains cool. The worst episodes were the ones that had lame-ass villains.
The villains played a large part in it, of course. Hell, I'm a big fan of Batman '89, and that movie primarily featured the Joker.

That said, both BTAS and B89 - IMO - actually made Batman an interesting character, a cool character. And his lack of screen time simply played into his mystique and mysteriousness. It adds to his characterization.

And despite his lack of characterization, when he was there, Batman - and Bruce Wayne - was characterized well. And that's been my main problem with Dini's run, so far.

Dini's comic Batman - IMO - has very, very little characterization, IMO. As I've said, he's little more than the gruff - and truthfully - boring character he's been for the past decade or so.

That all said, I did enjoy Dini's past two issues with the Joker. Why? Because while it featured a great little Joker caper, it also said some things about Batman and his character and his history. And even though that was subtle, even though that was hardly the main part of the story, it added a lot to the story, and made it a much better story than Dini's previous issues. IMO, at least.

I think the fact that you liked Burtman speaks volumes about our ability to come to an agreement on this subject. Let's agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"