The Official Batman Titles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,I got 664-669 and 672-674 of Morrison's Bat run sitting on my desk untouched.

Waiting for some decent time to read this straight.

Why is there such a gap between the last issue of Batman and the upcoming one?

I'm hoping all this Morrison mumbo jumbo pays off with the 'Batman R.I.P' arc. Supposedly all these lackluster arcs we've been subjected to are part of the grander scheme known as 'Batman R.I.P.'. :dry:

I'm hoping all this Morrison mumbo jumbo pays off with the 'Batman R.I.P' arc. Supposedly all these lackluster arcs we've been subjected to are part of the grander scheme known as 'Batman R.I.P.'. :dry:

Yeah, all the promises and such to change everything forever and ever. I don't really buy into all that, but I've enjoyed the current arc about the Three Batman and stuff so hopefully RIP will follow suit

I'm just going to keep my expectations to a 'good story' level and not hope for an instant classic or anything

Yeah, all the promises and such to change everything forever and ever. I don't really buy into all that, but I've enjoyed the current arc about the Three Batman and stuff so hopefully RIP will follow suit

I'm just going to keep my expectations to a 'good story' level and not hope for an instant classic or anything

The current arc is actually my least favorite from the Morrison run. I'm just dying for it to be over and to start 'R.I.P.' I can't really judge any of the previous arcs however until I see how all of this ties together, as it's been promised it will. Morrison is either a genius or insane. Maybe both.

The current arc is actually my least favorite from the Morrison run. I'm just dying for it to be over and to start 'R.I.P.' I can't really judge any of the previous arcs however until I see how all of this ties together, as it's been promised it will. Morrison is either a genius or insane. Maybe both.

Oh wow, I'm actually the exact opposite, I've not really enjoyed the rest of Morrison's run on the title. I thought that with the Three Batman arc he was finally picking up.

new arc coming up and i would like to jump on at this point (yes im a sheep :o), what do i need to know up to this point? what do you suggest picking up the next time i hit up the comic shop as far as backstory?

1.Batman has a annoying biological son named Damien.
2 Batmsn is much nicer then he was in past years.
2. Ra's AL Ghul is back.
3.Joker is inconsistently portrayed.
4. Robin was secretly in love with superboy...........

a'ight, i kinda knew most of those thing, except for what should be number three and number five... oh, and as for what should be number four, its obvious, joker is a skrull. :eek:

I think you should pick up the Club of Heroes issues, and the last three issues before RIP.

If I was you I'd ignore anything from before the Club of Heroes (though #666 was fun) and ignore the Ra's crossover.

As for what you need to know, Morisson is basically writing the biggest "secret villain" story of Batman. Someone is out to get Batman (The Black Glove) and it is all run by one man and Batman despite knowing it is there doesn't have any plan against it and can't prepare for it.

I think morrison is going to put batman out of his element, break him down, and rebuild him to being the most badass batman of all time and will emphasis why bruce will always be batman. imo.

Well there is no point in deconstructing a character without reconstructing. So yeah.

I have a feeling we'll see a lot of people attempt and fail to take over the Batman identity while Bruce is out.

Well there is no point in deconstructing a character without reconstructing. So yeah.

I have a feeling we'll see a lot of people attempt and fail to take over the Batman identity while Bruce is out.

Sooo, basically a "Rise of the Supermen" thing for Batman?

I think you should pick up the Club of Heroes issues, and the last three issues before RIP.

If I was you I'd ignore anything from before the Club of Heroes (though #666 was fun) and ignore the Ra's crossover.

As for what you need to know, Morisson is basically writing the biggest "secret villain" story of Batman. Someone is out to get Batman (The Black Glove) and it is all run by one man and Batman despite knowing it is there doesn't have any plan against it and can't prepare for it.

so im not really familiar with any of morisson's past writing, is bat's in good hands? from what you guys say it sounds to be interesting to say the least. :up:

1.Batman has a annoying biological son named Damien.
Didn't they say at some point that he was grown in a lab? Using Bats' DNA but still, lab-baby.

The biggest failing of Avengers Disassembled, in my opinion, is that Bendis failed to truly reconstruct them. He just left them a shadow of their former selves.

The biggest failing of Disassembled for me was that Bendis twisted characters around to fit his needs rather than writing a story that worked with their established personalities instead of against them. I find it hard to respect writers who come into long-running fictional universes and feel that their idea is so good that whatever makes the characters who they are must take a backseat to it.

Well, yeah, there's that too. But looking at Disassembled as a narrative endeavor, as a statement on comics, which it obviously was, it fails metatextually by forgetting to build the Avengers back up into Earth's Mightiest Mother ****ing Heroes.

But I agree that it's ****ed when writers do that. Meltzer had the same problem on his JLA (which is tragic, because he does know DCU characters! See Green Arrow and Identity Crisis for evidence of that.)

I don't think his intent was to build them back up to Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Seemed more like a denial of the very ideal of an "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," which is why Cap and Iron Man basically gathered up the first group of heroes they happened to fight alongside and slap the Avengers label on them. I guess to show that the world is bigger and scarier than you thought, and you can't always face it under ideal circumstances, but I confess that I'm not entirely sure what his point was with the New Avengers. They always struck me as just a collection of homage Avengers (Cap and Iron Man), cash cows to ensure sales (Spidey and Wolverine), and Bendis' personal favorites (Luke Cage, Echo, Spider-Woman) with no real point to them beyond ensuring they would make a lot of money.

I think morrison is going to put batman out of his element, break him down, and rebuild him to being the most badass batman of all time and will emphasis why bruce will always be batman. imo.

This'd be fine if it weren't the exact same thing they've done in every single Batman-related event in the last 20 years.

They always struck me as just a collection of homage Avengers (Cap and Iron Man), cash cows to ensure sales (Spidey and Wolverine), and Bendis' personal favorites (Luke Cage, Echo, Spider-Woman) with no real point to them beyond ensuring they would make a lot of money.

This is exactly and indeed fairly explicitly what it was, and this

The biggest failing of Avengers Disassembled, in my opinion, is that Bendis failed to truly reconstruct them.

isn't so much the failing of Avengers Disassembled as just how Brian Bendis writes comic books. If you want to read a comic about heroes ****ing up and failing, read a Brian Bendis comic book, and you won't be disappointed. Trying to read larger metatextual purpose into that is like trying to find meaning in the McDonalds logo.

The biggest failing of Avengers Disassembled, in my opinion, is that Bendis failed to truly reconstruct them. He just left them a shadow of their former selves.

The biggest failing of Disassembled for me was that Bendis twisted characters around to fit his needs rather than writing a story that worked with their established personalities instead of against them. I find it hard to respect writers who come into long-running fictional universes and feel that their idea is so good that whatever makes the characters who they are must take a backseat to it.

Well, yeah, there's that too. But looking at Disassembled as a narrative endeavor, as a statement on comics, which it obviously was, it fails metatextually by forgetting to build the Avengers back up into Earth's Mightiest Mother ****ing Heroes.

But I agree that it's ****ed when writers do that. Meltzer had the same problem on his JLA (which is tragic, because he does know DCU characters! See Green Arrow and Identity Crisis for evidence of that.)

I don't think his intent was to build them back up to Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Seemed more like a denial of the very ideal of an "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," which is why Cap and Iron Man basically gathered up the first group of heroes they happened to fight alongside and slap the Avengers label on them. I guess to show that the world is bigger and scarier than you thought, and you can't always face it under ideal circumstances, but I confess that I'm not entirely sure what his point was with the New Avengers. They always struck me as just a collection of homage Avengers (Cap and Iron Man), cash cows to ensure sales (Spidey and Wolverine), and Bendis' personal favorites (Luke Cage, Echo, Spider-Woman) with no real point to them beyond ensuring they would make a lot of money.

This is exactly and indeed fairly explicitly what it was, and this

isn't so much the failing of Avengers Disassembled as just how Brian Bendis writes comic books. If you want to read a comic about heroes ****ing up and failing, read a Brian Bendis comic book, and you won't be disappointed. Trying to read larger metatextual purpose into that is like trying to find meaning in the McDonalds logo.

Batman R.I.P. Batman

So you see the Iron Man movie too, Fleder? What'd you think, personally I really enjoyed it.

Did you enjoy Iron Man, 'Totle? Cause I really enjoyed Iron Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"