The Official Beatles Thread

Wow a Beatles thread ?!:hmr::mnm:. I didn't even know there was one here.

If you're a Beatle geek like me , I recommend one of the best Beatle related podcasts on itunes and online called Something About The Beatles , hosted by author Robert Rodriguez.

He's great .

It was 50 years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play...

beatles+5.jpg%3Cbr%3E

Not my favorite Beatles album but it was definitely a game changer.

And while the landmark album is nearing its 51st year, I did pick up the 50th Anniversary Box Set from Japan mostly because not only the SHM CD's but the diorama that you can assemble as well. I haven't actually started on it yet - or maybe I'll just leave it as is. :)

I liked the remix by Giles despite the heavy compression - but still a nice alternate take on the classic album. The surround mix was very good too but I cannot crank it due to how loud the remix sounds.

Additionally, with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane included I placed them at the top of the list with Penny Lane kicking things off followed by Strawberry Fields... and then Sgt. Pepper. It sounds fabulous - and sorta appropriate as they were singles that never made the album. And while George's Only a Northern Song also never made the album, I took the version of that song from the Yellow Submarine Songbook and then placed it at the end after A Day in the Life. I kinda look at it as a Hidden Track the way I compiled my playlist. Sure, it may seem like sacrilege but each track flows through wonderfully. OANS doesn't ruin the flow by the song following ADitL, but that's my opinion. Take a look...

- SINGLES:
1. Penny Lane
2. Strawberry Fields Forever

- SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND:
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. With a Little Help from My Friends
5. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
6. Getting Better
7. Fixing a Hole
8. She's Leaving Home
9. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
10. Within You, Without You
11. When I'm Sixty-Four
12. Lovely Rita
13. Good Morning Good Morning
14. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
15. A Day in the Life

- HIDDEN TRACK:
16. Only a Northern Song

And will Carnival of Light ever, EVER see the 'light' of day?! :p

So, there have also been rumblings that The White Album will possibly receive a 50th Anniversary Set this year sometime. I'll pick that one up as well but what I'm really looking forward to is an Ultimate Let It Be set complete with the movie, Naked plus other extras. Heck, I'm sure with all the leftover material could we create our own version (and a De-Spectorized version fingers crossed) of Glyn Johns' 'Get Back' album. Let It Be... Naked was a nice idea but the mastering choices were rather questionable. I'm down for a better take on that version as well.

Although I really like some Beatles stuff I'm not exactly an ardent fan. Having said that, Sgt Pepper is an awesome album.

greatest band ever. most important band ever. a band who's music, without exaggeration, actually changed my life....most definitely for the better.

Revolver may very well be my favorite album of all time. Imo, there is not a band that even comes close to the Beatles.

And while the landmark album is nearing its 51st year, I did pick up the 50th Anniversary Box Set from Japan mostly because not only the SHM CD's but the diorama that you can assemble as well. I haven't actually started on it yet - or maybe I'll just leave it as is. :)

I liked the remix by Giles despite the heavy compression - but still a nice alternate take on the classic album. The surround mix was very good too but I cannot crank it due to how loud the remix sounds.

Additionally, with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane included I placed them at the top of the list with Penny Lane kicking things off followed by Strawberry Fields... and then Sgt. Pepper. It sounds fabulous - and sorta appropriate as they were singles that never made the album. And while George's Only a Northern Song also never made the album, I took the version of that song from the Yellow Submarine Songbook and then placed it at the end after A Day in the Life. I kinda look at it as a Hidden Track the way I compiled my playlist. Sure, it may seem like sacrilege but each track flows through wonderfully. OANS doesn't ruin the flow by the song following ADitL, but that's my opinion. Take a look...

- SINGLES:
1. Penny Lane
2. Strawberry Fields Forever

- SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND:
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. With a Little Help from My Friends
5. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
6. Getting Better
7. Fixing a Hole
8. She's Leaving Home
9. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
10. Within You, Without You
11. When I'm Sixty-Four
12. Lovely Rita
13. Good Morning Good Morning
14. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
15. A Day in the Life

- HIDDEN TRACK:
16. Only a Northern Song

And will Carnival of Light ever, EVER see the 'light' of day?! :p

So, there have also been rumblings that The White Album will possibly receive a 50th Anniversary Set this year sometime. I'll pick that one up as well but what I'm really looking forward to is an Ultimate Let It Be set complete with the movie, Naked plus other extras. Heck, I'm sure with all the leftover material could we create our own version (and a De-Spectorized version fingers crossed) of Glyn Johns' 'Get Back' album. Let It Be... Naked was a nice idea but the mastering choices were rather questionable. I'm down for a better take on that version as well.

I really enjoyed the new Sgt Pepper remaster, but I despise the new mix for A Day in the Life. John's vocals sound muted for parts of the song. Some of his strongest vocals can barely be heard now.

I doubt we will ever see the release of Carnival of Light. Paul seems to think it's just noise...

I like way too much of their stuff to have just one favorite song. :p

I've always kind of felt Alex Turner of (The Arctic Monkeys/Death Ramps/The Last Shadow Puppets) and Miles Kane (The Little Flames/The Rascals/The Last Shadow Puppets/Death Ramps) are like millennial Lennon and McCartney.

Miles Kane played in a Beatles tribute called Dr. Pepper's Jaded Hearts Club Band with Muse singer and guitarist Matt Bellamy, Nine Inch Nails guitarist Ilan Rubin, and Zutons drummer Sean Payne.

Miles Kane's latest album 'Change The Show' has a big Beatles/Wings vibe.

Kane and Turner also covered 'I Want You, She's So Heavy') while touring with their The Last Shadow Puppets band.

This year is the 60th Anniversary of their first singles

_114956934_pbb-nc.jpg

Beatles.jpg

Even though I prefer Real Love , Free As A Bird , and John's other solo works , to Now And Then , I do appreciate the long journey and ultimate finish ,of the song.

As a Beatle fan, it's poetic, that the last song released by the group is , Now And Then .

It's a fitting, final, musical coda, to the band's history .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"