The Official Beatles Thread

despite my undying love for the beatles, i've always had a hard time going forward into their solo careers. its difficult for me to think of these 4 men as anything other than a single entity known as the beatles, you know?

but im finally getting to the point where i can go forward. i got george harrison's "all things must pass" album. completely brilliant. for a long time, george has slowly been developing to be my favorite beatle. i also picked up lennon's plastic ono band album, but havent got around to listening to it yet. does paul or ringo have any real worthwhile solo albums?

I know Paul has done some great stuff Wings, that i love, but i don't know you would consider that solo.

I always found John and Paul to be a better talent together. Separate, I found John's work to be very raw and unpolished, whereas Paul's always seemed too polished, overworked, almost. They were the perfect combination together, levelling each other out.

I found John's work to be very raw and unpolished,

That's what I like about the Plastic Ono band album, he's screaming his guts out with no frills to soften the blow. I'd say the 'Imagine' is quite polished. edit:not as polished as McCartney's 'Band on the run' though, that's the only McC solo album I've heard.

Last edited:
I always found John and Paul to be a better talent together. Separate, I found John's work to be very raw and unpolished, whereas Paul's always seemed too polished, overworked, almost. They were the perfect combination together, levelling each other out.

i agree they worked best together, each being one part of a whole. but i still really like johns solo stuff, im into the rawness of it, which i prefer over paul's over production. some john stuff i've heard is just as good as any of the beatles stuff. same with george. i've yet to hear anything from paul that'd make me say that.

despite my undying love for the beatles, i've always had a hard time going forward into their solo careers. its difficult for me to think of these 4 men as anything other than a single entity known as the beatles, you know?

It's the exact same way for me. But I too have started to listen to George and John's solo stuff. I haven't gotten that into Paul's though.

Check out both 'McCartney' and 'Ram'. It was the first two albums Paul did after he left, and they are both fantastic and very understated. Very soothing albums, with very little production and schmaltz that his work with Wings had.

And then there's Chaos And Creation In The Backyard from a few years ago, which is, in my opinion, as fine as any Beatles album.:o

Okay, maybe not Revolver or Sgt. Pepper, but it is right up there.

yeah, i was thinking of checking out RAM. i heard the self titled album was pretty mediocre.

I'd heard that too. But honestly, people were expecting a masterpiece, and all it is, is a very quiet, nice, pop album with no frills. It isn't Abbey Road, but not much is. Buy it for cheap, and there is no way you CAN'T enjoy it.:up:

My Best Post Beatles stuff:

I know it's cliche to say but BAND ON THE RUN maybe McCartney's best solo work as a whole.

For Lennon I will have to go with another cliche and say DOUBLE FANTASY. Yes it's full of Sappy love songs, but still good stuff.

Of Course Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS maybe the best post Beatle album of the all.

And not ot forget Ringo but his self titled 1973 Album RINGO is really enjoyable (and he was teh FIRST Beatle with a Number # 1 hit after the Break-Up).

I've been re-watching the 1996 Anthology DVD this week.

I tell you, if you're a Beatle fan and don' have that in your collection, then you are seriously missing out.

FINALLY!!!! :woot: :woot::woot:

From Rolling Stones.com

The Beatles’ Remastered Albums Due September 9, 2009

On September 9, 2009, after a nearly 22-year wait, digitally remastered versions of all of the Beatles studio albums will be released, a press release has confirmed. Each album will feature the track listings and artwork as it was originally released in the U.K. and come with expanded booklets including original and newly written liner notes and rare photos.

For a limited time, each of the Fab Four’s 12 proper albums will be “embedded” with a brief documentary about its making. The rereleases will include the Beatles’ 12 studio albums and Magical Mystery Tour as well as Past Masters Vol. I and II, which will be packaged as one collection.

All 14 discs will be available with DVDs of the documentaries in a stereo box set, and a set titled The Beatles in Mono featuring 10 discs will also be released.
http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/27338579/the_beatles_albums_from_please/photo/1
A crew of engineers at London’s Abbey Road Studios have spent four years working on the remasters using new technology and vintage equipment, the press release says, in an effort to preserve “the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings” and ensure “the highest fidelity the catalog has seen since its original release.”

9/9/09 promises to be a huge day in Beatles lore, as it’s the same day The Beatles: Rock Band will hit stores.

This weekend brought a bit of Beatles news, too, as Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunited onstage at a New York benefit for David Lynch’s Transcendental Meditation foundation (see photos here).

Preorders for the remasters are already popping up on Amazon.co.uk. Demand for Beatles remasters has steadily increased since 1987, when Capitol/EMI first released the Beatles’ discography on CD with what many audiophile fans deemed substandard sound quality compared to the original vinyl.

While it seems like other artists remaster their entire catalog every several years, Capitol/EMI have barely touched the Beatles’ discography since 1987, with the exception of 2004’s The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1 box set, which compiled and remastered the band’s first four American releases in stereo and mono formats. The soundtrack for the Beatles’ Love show also gave listeners a brief tease of how fantastic the band’s songs would sound if properly remastered.

The Beatles in Mono will include the 10 albums originally mixed for mono release, as well as two additional discs the press release says features similar songs to those on the Past Masters compilations.

The mono versions of Help! and Rubber Soul will boast bonuses: the albums’ original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD, per the press release. The mono collection, like the stereo one, will include all original inserts and label designs, and the CDs are designed as tiny vinyl replicas.

The press release didn’t include news regarding a possible deal with iTunes or another digital-music vendor to distribute the catalog digitally: “Discussions regarding the digital distribution of the catalog will continue. There is no further information available at this time,” the press release reads. Both Apple Corps. and Paul McCartney have expressed reluctance to release the Beatles’ music digitally until all the albums had been remastered. The solo work of each of the four Beatles is available on iTunes.

The Beatles Remasters:
Please Please Me
With the Beatles
A Hard Day’s Night
Beatles for Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles (The White Album)
Abbey Road
Let It Be
Past Masters
Yellow Submarine

The remastered album sounds great, but I'll probably get the RB: Beatles since I can't buy both.

I'm saving up right now so I can get Everything!!!! :oldrazz:

From the remasters CD to the mono version of the albums. I've been waiitng and complaing why hasn't EMI/Capitol done this for years now not to grab this when it comes out!

If the newly remastered songs sound anything like the snippets we got on the "LOVE" cd then It will be like hearing the Beatles new all over again.

By the by, if you'e never heard the MONO version of Sgt. Pepper than you've really never heard Sgt. Pepper! it's the version the Beatles overseen (like all the mon version of their albums) and it's definatley a different version than standard Stero one.

so, i got around to listening to 'mccartney' and 'ram', both are really impressive albums! i loves them lots. plastic ono band and imagine are also great albums from john. im looking to pick up another harrison album.

so, i got around to listening to 'mccartney' and 'ram', both are really impressive albums! i loves them lots. plastic ono band and imagine are also great albums from john. im looking to pick up another harrison album.

MM, check out BAND ON THE RUN from McCartney. I think it's his best overall post Beatle work outisde TUG OF WAR .

By the by, if you'e never heard the MONO version of Sgt. Pepper than you've really never heard Sgt. Pepper! it's the version the Beatles overseen (like all the mon version of their albums) and it's definatley a different version than standard Stero one.

I still have my mom's old Sgt Pepper record from when it first came out. Haven't listened to it in ages, though.

Haha, told ya.:oldrazz:

Two great Harrison albums are two towards the end of his career, when he was working with Jeff Lynne, the leader of ELO. Cloud Nine and his very last album, Brainwashed. Good stuff.:up:

I dig the Beatles' music, but I seem to prefer it sung by other artists.

Ok, so there havent been any updates here in a while. So here's what's new:

BEATLES: THE REMASTERS

Here's what the individual packaging for the CDs will be like...

packaging.jpg

And here's the box sets, both stereo:

stereo.jpg

And mono:

mono.jpg

THE BEATLES: ROCK BAND

The official release date for PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 is Sept. 9th. Only 25 of 45 songs have currently been announced, and they are as follows:

"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Day Tripper"
"Eight Days a Week"
"Get Back"
"Here Comes the Sun"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Feel Fine"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"Octopus's Garden"
"Paperback Writer"
"Revolution"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"Taxman"
"Twist and Shout"
"Within You Without You"
"Yellow Submarine"
"With A Little Help From My Friends"
"Birthday"
"I Got a Feeling"
"Dig a Pony"
"Do You Want To Know A Secret"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"And Your Bird Can Sing"

Also, All You Need Is Love will be available as a timed exclusive to Xbox Live day and date with the game as downloadable content. The entire Abbey Road album will be coming at a later date as DLC on all platforms, rumored to be within a month of launch.

Here's the cover art:

cover.jpg

The special edition will come with a replica of Paul McCartneys Hofner bass, and custom drums:

bass.jpg

drums.jpg

And being sold seperately are replicas of John Lennons Rickenbacker 325, and George Harrisons Gretsch Duo Jet:

guitars.jpg

They will be selling the guitars and bass seperately for $100 each, no word yet on the drums being sold alone though, from what I can see.

The official website for the game is, of course, www.thebeatlesrockband.com

You can view trailers, and the intro video for the game at the following links...

Intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLLxRmR3nY

Trailer 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBDOolcs9g

Trailer 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3YlnQze028

Last edited:
Can you believe even my mom wants to get that version of Rock Band???

im usually not into those rock band games, but that looks like tons of fun. that intro cinematic animation thing was most enjoyable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"