The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

And Tyson was undisputed champion for years way before Jones. He doesn't have the same intensity that Tyson has and let's be real, Jones hasn't been good since that first fight with Antonio Tarver, and he was a shell of his old self even in that bout all sluggish and face all f'ed up.

^^ This guy, has learned from his mistakes and has that fire again. At least enough to put Jones out in September.

2. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Tyson isn’t just a naturally heavier man, he was one of the hardest punchers ever at that heavier weight.

Roy Jones had all the skills as you expect from people who dominate at multiple weight classes. Still, Floyd Mayweather is a few thousand times more skilful than Deontay Wilder and there’s a reason they don’t get in the ring together.

This fight will probably go a similar (but less extreme) way with Jones dominating unless he gets hit, and if he gets caught properly he’ll be in a world of trouble.

All of Roy Jones’ advantages combined are the reason why this fight would be considered at all. Weight classes are there for protection as well as enhancing competitiveness.

Doc Samson likes this.
  3. famicommander Registered

Anybody looks good in a manufactured training video.

The last two times we saw Tyson in the ring he got put to sleep by terrible opposition, and that was in his late 30s. He's not going to be better in his mid 50s. It's been over 20 years since he beat anybody with anything resembling a pulse.

Tyson was only special for a brief period. 1986-1989 was the only time in his career when he faced quality opposition and looked good doing it. Prior to 1986 he was fighting bums, 1990 and later everybody good whooped him like they caught him stealing chickens.

Roy was elite from at least 1992-2003 and he made everybody he fought look stupid in that span. Vaca, Castro, B-Hop, Malinga, Toney, Paz, Lucas, McCallum, Griffin, Hill, Del Valle, Johnson, Gonzalez, Woods, Ruiz, and Tarver all in that timeframe. And even as late as 2009 he beat Jeff Lacy.

4. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I was a fan of Tyson in his prime, but the guy wasn't exactly dominating a stacked division, lost to Buster Douglas, came back and got destroyed by Holyfield. Tyson was done as a top level fighter at 30. Arguably before that, but he had to go to prison for being a rapist and then came out beating up again not the best fighters.

Also not to be picky, but Tyson was the undisputed champion for only 2 years. By comparison Jones was a BS DQ away from an undefeated first 14 years of his career, where he moved up all the way to HW to beat a guy that would have killed Tyson at the time and he only properly lost after putting his body through some legit trauma in his mid 30s.

5. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Sigh...

Honestly, I'll probably find myself watching this but I don't want to. For multiple reasons.

At this point, unless it's a true exhibition like Thunderlips/Rocky or Ali/Inoki (and neither went well smh), Roy just doesn't need to be involved. He's not a true HW, he's been getting rocked for the better part of the past decade, and looks about 10 years older than he actually is. I loved Roy in his prime, but even then, a half baked Tyson probably had enough to hurt him.

Speaking of Mike, there was nobody else available for this outside of RJ or Evander? Seriously?? I just feel like this is potentially embarrassing for all involved, but especially Roy. What's there to gain from this??

InCali and B like this.
  6. B [insert witty comment]

Please no.

Either you'll see an fight masquerading to be an exhibition contest between 2, 50 year old boxing legends, LONG past their prime, try to last 8 rounds without collapsing from exhaustion.

OR

You're going to see a legit exhibition bout, headgear, bigger gloves etc with both guys going in with the intention to look after each other as opposed to making a fool out of their opponent or themselves. Either way, I'm not interested.

I still remember how Mike Tyson looked in his last 2 fights before he retired, losing to guys that he potentially might have actually murdered in the ring if they fought 'The Old Mike'.

Then there's Roy, it still saddens me to see him continue to fight with regularity looking an absolute shell of himself.

7. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Tyson was a great as a young boxer. After he went to prison he was no longer in the same class IMO.

DarthSkywalker and B like this.
  8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Btw I just checked the bookie’s odds and they have Tyson as favourite for now (5/11 vs 8/5 for Jones).

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  9. B [insert witty comment]

[​IMG]

Lobo likes this.
  10. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I really have to ask, how much in debt is Roy? I know part of him just doesn't want to give it up. But Roy fights l ike he needs money.

11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Crazy if he’s in debt after all that big fight money over the years. I guess a lot of sports stars end that way though.

12. famicommander Registered

It's not going to be a real fight anyway.

Head gear, 16oz gloves, no judges, no winner declared.

It's going to be somewhere between pattycake and sparring.

13. B [insert witty comment]

He must have money problems, he can't have not seen the fans & fighters telling him how little he looks like the real Roy Jones Jnr nowadays.

Surely it must hurt his own heart to be fighting some of these guys that he'd have dusted inside the opening round in his prime. The level at which he has been fighting for the last 10-15 years is far beneath him IMO.

There's a case that could be made in his prime he wasn't just an all-time great, but thee greatest.

14. famicommander Registered

What in the hell is wrong with Oscar De La Hoya? How could he put a fight like this on last night:
    [​IMG]

In black:
    Seniesa Estrada
    18-0-0-0, 7 KOs, a legit rising 28 year old contender expected to get a world title shot soon
    93 pro rounds fought in her career
    Her last 5 opponents had 53 pro wins versus 23 losses

In white:
    Miranda Adkins
    5-0-0-0, 5 KOs but she's a 42 year old who only started boxing at 39
    8 pro rounds fought in her career
    Her 5 opponents were a combined 0-11 with 11 KO losses for their careers

This is the kind of mismatch that promoters, athletic commissions, and sanctioning bodies all have a responsibility and moral obligation to prevent.

They're going to get somebody killed putting fights like this together.

The other angle:
    [​IMG]
    Look at her closing her eyes. She's basically a soccer mom who took a few boxing classes at the Y.

#1539 famicommander, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Doc Samson and B like this.
  15. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Get back to me in 100 days. :cwink:

Doc Samson and DarthSkywalker like this.
  16. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

That's the hope my friend. That is the hope! :D

Doc Samson likes this.
  17. B [insert witty comment]

Saw this on social media last night. Completely disgustingly bad matchmaking, Oscar deserves to have his ass beat badly for signing off on these 2 fighting, complete & utter mismatch. Anybody with 2 functioning eyes could tell you how inexperienced the woman in the white is purely based on her stance at the opening bell in comparison to her opponent.

Then again, this doesn't surprise me, De La Hoya is a piece of ****. This is the same guy that enabled Chuck Liddell get back into a cage to fight Tito Ortiz at 50 years old after 8 years retired after some violent KO defeats to end his career only to see the inevitable happen & Chuck get knocked out again. He showed up to the press conference didn't know a single fighter's name that was on the undercard & acted like he was a big Chuck Liddell fan.

DarthSkywalker and Doc Samson like this.
  18. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

That Chuck debacle was one of the most egregious things I've seen in any combat sport, this Miranda Adkins "fight" isn't far behind.

I'd also be remiss not to say RIP to brother Naazim Richardson, one of the great trainers we've had in the sport we love...

Iceman, B and DarthSkywalker like this.
  19. famicommander Registered

Richardson trained Bernard Hopkins, Shane Mosley, and Steve Cunningham. Two all-time greats and one 2X world cruiserweight champion (who once put Tyson Fury on the canvas).

Doesn't get much better than that.

killface, Iceman and Doc Samson like this.
  20. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Facts, not to mention he probably saved someone's life from the hand wraps of Margacheato..

21. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

Boxing returns to Showtime tonight. Mares is replacing Malignaggi as analysist for this fight. Malignaggi is out permanently.

22. famicommander Registered

It's too bad the main event got shuffled around due to COVID. Fulton was supposed to be in the world title fight tonight, not Williams. Oh well.

There's also a card on DAZN in about an hour. All British local guys.

23. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

We're talking about Tyson v Jones as entertainment......sigh.....I think I'd rather watch my poodles play......

24. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

In the opening of Showtime's tripleheader, Marcos Escudero was in control of his rematch with Joseph George when George landed a huge left uppercut that nearly took Escudero's head off for a 9th round knockout.

25. famicommander Registered

Less than two weeks now before the Queen of Boxing steps back into the ring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36-0-0-0
    17-0-0-0 vs other major world champions from 135 all the way to 160
    25 consecutive WBA/WBC World Welterweight Title defenses
    22 consecutive WBA/WBC/WBO World Welterweight Title defenses
    10 consecutive WBA/WBC/WBO/IBF Undisputed World Welterweight Title defenses
    8 consecutive WBA/WBC/WBO/IBF/IBO Undisputed World Welterweight Title defenses
    The Ring Pound for Pound Women's Champion
    Wins over Anne Sophie Mathis (2), Mia St. John, Mikaela Lauren (2), Erica Farias, Myriam Lamare, Chevelle Hallback
    Never lost more than 3 rounds in any fight
    Chased Holly Holm out of the welterweight division and then the entire sport of boxing (Holly didn't want the fight)
    Undisputed champion since September 2014
    Unified champion since March 2009

She's the greatest of all time, there can be no arguing that.

If she beats McCaskill on August 15, she'll have 26 consecutive title defenses. That will break Joe Louis' record for the most consecutive defenses of any world title by any fighter in any division.

McCaskill is a great fighter in her own right, currently the unified WBA/WBC champion at super lightweight. Braekhus is giving up a couple of pounds for a catchweight between the super lightweight limit of 140 and the welterweight limit of 147.

McCaskill has two losses, but one was a robbery and the other was a close fight against Katie Taylor. Since the Taylor fight she has beaten the legendary Erica Farias twice as well as respected world champion Anahi Sanchez in three very good action fights, so she's peaking right now. Braekhus will be her fifth consecutive world champion opponent.

Both fighters have been in camp for this fight since January as their original fight date was pushed back due to the pandemic.

Braekhus in particular has been living at training camp in Big Bear, California as she was afraid that if she returned to her home in Norway she wouldn't be able to get back into the US in time for the fight.