The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Aug 20, 2017.

1. famicommander Registered

Today's WBC/IBO World Super Featherweight Title fight between Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas was as great as that Estrada/Adkins fight was embarrassing. One of the better women's boxing matches in recent years. Check it out if you missed it, it ended about 45 minutes ago on DAZN.

Hopefully we get an immediate rematch. It was a war.

Next week is Braekhus vs McCaskill, then the following week is Persoon vs Taylor II. Women's boxing is coming back from the coronavirus much stronger than the men's side so far.

2. Christopher11 Registered

Any chance of a Fury vs Whyte fight in near future?

3. famicommander Registered

If Fury beats Wilder and Whyte beats Povetkin, that's almost definitely next.

Joshua has Pulev for the IBF mandatory and then likely Usyk for the WBO mandatory anyway, so there's nobody else for the Wilder/Fury III winner to fight other than Whyte.

Doesn't really matter. Whyte's too basic to lay a glove on Fury and he has a suspect chin with zero head movement, making him a likely candidate for a Wilder highlight reel KO.

4. famicommander Registered

[​IMG]

Tonight's the night that a 72 year old record held by Joe Louis himself falls.

The undisputed WBA/WBC/WBO/IBF/IBO Welterweight and Ring Pound for Pound Champion Cecilia Braekhus vs the WBA/WBC Super Lightweight Champion Jessica McCaskill.

With a win, Braekhus becomes the fighter with the most consecutive defenses of any major world championship in any weight division of either gender in the history of boxing.

When Braekhus started out:
    -Women's boxing was not an Olympic sport
    -Professional boxing was illegal in her home country of Norway
    -She had to sneak out of her parents' fourth floor apartment via the fire escape to train in a kickboxing gym
    -She was the only woman in her first few boxing gyms
    -She had to try several gyms before she found one willing to train a woman

Every female boxer in the world, and every boxer period in the country of Norway, owes her a huge debt of gratitude.

Iceman likes this.
  5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks. I love your updates on her. Truly inspirational sportswoman.

6. famicommander Registered

A little cosmic justice for that punk Dillian Whyte. Got knocked cold by a 41 year old, visibly faded Povetkin and lost his WBC Interim Heavyweight Title and mandatory status.

Whyte has spent the better part of four years begging for his title shot and turning down the opportunities that came his way.

The IBF ordered him to face Kubrat Pulev for a mandatory title shot, Whyte turned it down because he didn't want to fight in Bulgaria.

Whyte called out Luis Ortiz and then the WBC ordered him to face Ortiz for a mandatory title shot. Whyte turned down the fight.

Whyte then complained that Dominic Breazeale was in the WBC mandatory spot despite being lower ranked than Whyte. Breazeale had earned the status by fighting in an eliminator, which Whyte kept refusing to do. Breazeale offered to put his mandatory status on the line in a fight with Whyte, but Whyte turned that down and Breazeale went on to get obliterated in one round by Wilder.

Whyte was offered a chance to face Joshua for the unified WBA/WBO/IBF/IBO titles but turned it down, claiming it wasn't enough money. More likely, the short notice of the fight meant Whyte couldn't get off his steroid cycle in time to pass a drug test. Andy Ruiz instead stepped up and took the fight, and knocked out Joshua in the 7th round to briefly claim the titles.

Whyte then finally agreed to fight a WBC eliminator against Oscar Rivas. Whyte failed a pre-fight drug test but his team appealed to the BBoC and he was inexplicably allowed to fight Rivas, with Rivas and his team not even being informed of the failed test. Whyte also illegally changed his gloves after the glove selection process but was not punished for that. Whyte was suspended by the WBC and had his interim title and mandatory status stripped, but his lawyers threatened to sue the BBoC and they didn't have the money to fight off a lawsuit. So the BBoC rescinded their suspension and the WBC was forced to as they uphold the decisions of the governing body. This is the same thing that happened when Tyson Fury got busted after the Hammer fight. His lawyers tied it up in court to the point that we didn't even know about the failed test until after Fury had already beaten Klitschko and then gone off the rails on his mental health/addiction problems. British boxing is dirtier than Chicago politics.

Whyte's motivations all along are transparent to me. He wanted to weasel into a mandatory status (check), become interim champion (check), and then be promoted to full champion by having his mandatory status called while the big three of Fury, Joshua, and Wilder were busy fighting each other. He wanted to become heavyweight champion via the use of politics, PR, steroids (got busted twice already) and legal wrangling instead of by beating the heavyweight champion in the ring in a fair fight.

It feels good to see these cowardly tactics blow up in his face by getting knocked cold by a faded former PED cheat himself in Povetkin.

Doc Samson likes this.
  7. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Povetkin obliterated Whyte with that uppercut.

It was a huge shock because Whyte had already knocked down Povetkin twice in the previous round. Whyte was doing good, seemed in total control and about to seal the victory. But as the saying goes, it's heavyweight boxing and one punch can change everything. Povetkin also mentioned that he had trained that move specifically for this fight because he noticed Whyte was prone to leave those type of openings.

Povetkin at 40/41 is clearly in the decline but he's still dangerous. He's experienced, determined, skillful and packs a punch. It's worth remembering that in 39 fights he only lost 2 against the champions Klitschko and AJ. That's a good resume.

There was a rematch in the contract and Whyte will take another crack at Povetkin. Regardless of how this fight turned out and after what i saw today i still favor Whyte to win and regain his mandatory position. Both fighters showed what they could do and not much should change going forwards, Povetkin is always dangerous and Whyte is still the favorite to win.

Iceman likes this.
  8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Whyte’s title shot is in trouble now. Povetkin is a solid operator and great professional.

9. famicommander Registered

The important thing here is that this pushes back the timeframe for the WBC mandatory regardless of who wins the rematch.

If Whyte had won, the WBC would've called for the mandatory shot early next year against the winner of Wilder vs Fury III.

The winner of that fight would've had three options, assuming Whyte wins the rematch:
    1. Fight Whyte, who has absolutely ZERO chance against any of the big three due to a total lack of head movement, stamina, and skill

2. Accept a stupid WBC "Franchise Champion" designation like Canelo and Lomachenko have, which frees them up to avoid mandatories. This would be what Whyte would want because it would elevate him to WBC Champion without having to win it

3. Vacate the WBC title outright, which again would give Whyte a free belt.

The main reason they wouldn't want to fight Whyte is that it would derail a potential undisputed title fight against Anthony Joshua (provided Joshua gets through old man Pulev). As we saw with Joshua vs Ruiz I and Wilder vs Fury II, it's dangerous to keep delaying this fight. The money and the belts are a hard thing to keep on lockdown.

Either way, Whyte is a fraud. He should've lost to Parker but there was a blatant headbutt that was called a knockdown. He should've lost to Chisora the first time but he was given a gift on the cards. He should've been banned for two+ years after the second failed PED test against Rivas but his team weaseled out of it for him via politics.

And now he's lost to old man Povetkin, who had been hurt badly in three of his previous four fights. Joshua knocked him out, glass jaw David Price knocked him down, and blown up cruiserweight Michael Hunter had him on dream street early in the fight and probably deserved a win in their draw. Povetkin's punch resistance is gone but Whyte got stupid and lazy and ate that uppercut of great justice.

#1559 famicommander, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  10. famicommander Registered

He's very skilled, powerful, and experienced but he's a multiple time PED cheat like Whyte and he's become slow as molasses. He's getting worse every fight. The only guy in his last five fights that didn't put him on the canvas or rock him badly was feather-fisted Hughie Fury.

The Povetkin that lost to Joshua is a mere shadow of the one who lost to Klitschko, and the one who just beat Whyte is a shadow of the one who lost to Joshua. His handspeed is gone, what little footspeed he had in his prime is gone, his punch resistance is gone. All he's got left is dynamite in his hands and that brain.

Doc Samson likes this.
  11. famicommander Registered

[​IMG]

That's just good stuff right there.

Now we wait to see if either or both of them passed all their drug tests. You gotta figure both were juicing during the pandemic lockdowns. Whyte dropped 20 pounds since his Wach fight.

12. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I didn’t realise he had been caught for that multiple times too. :csad:

40 now as well. I wonder how much longer he’s fighting.

13. famicommander Registered

Povetkin was supposed to fight Wilder for the WBC heavyweight title but he tested positive a week before the fight. Wilder had already landed in Moscow when it was called off. Povetkin managed to avoid a suspension by claiming it was residual amounts of the drug left in his system that he had taken before the drug was officially illegal.

Then later he was supposed to fight Bermane Stiverne for the WBC Interim heavyweight championship but he tested positive again for a different drug 20 hours before the fight. Stiverne withdrew but Johann Duhaupas took the fight on 14 hours notice and got knocked out. Povetkin was then suspended 6 months after the fight.

Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury are two more that have gotten away with it mostly without consequences. Ortiz had one win vacated due to a failed test and he almost had another fight canceled later for taking unregistered blood pressure medication. And Fury (as well as his cousin Hughie) was supposed to have his win over Christian Hammer vacated due to a positive test but everybody just ignored it. If that fight had taken place anywhere except the UK, his failed test would've come to light immediately and he would have been suspended instead of being allowed to fight Wladimir Klitschko.

And then there's Jarrell Miller, who has been busted like half a dozen times for a whole pharmacy worth of drugs. Busted enough times to be banned from kickboxing entirely, busted at least three times in boxing and currently awaiting the length of his suspension (hopefully forever).

Joshua, Wilder, Ruiz, and Pulev are the only active top end heavyweights that have never been busted. Pretty sure Ruiz is clean because he doesn't even work out. Pulev can't punch and Wilder has had the same body type his entire career. Joshua's physique is suspicious as hell but he's always passed all the tests so fair play to him.

Iceman likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks for that background mate, good to know. :up:

15. B [insert witty comment]

Glad to see Whyte got smoked, I don't really care about him in general but I thought his reaction to Wilder getting TKO'd by Fury during a Sky Sports interview was incredibly distasteful, in particular the prolonged laugh in regards to how badly Wilder got slapped about before the stoppage.

He was handily winning the fight though & just got caught cold, if you lose focus or fall asleep during HW boxing, you'll get put to sleep regardless of the opponent.

16. famicommander Registered

It wasn't as one-sided as it seemed before the KO.

It's true that he put Povetkin on the canvas twice in round 4, but Povetkin didn't seem too badly hurt. It looked more to me a result of his legs being gone and a failure to maintain his balance.

But if you go back and watch the fight, you'll notice Povetkin setting a trap for Whyte throughout the fight. Several times Povetkin threw that left jab, dipped his left shoulder, and then ripped a left hook to the body. On the KO punch he did the exact same thing, except rather than a hook to the body he threw the left uppercut from the same position. And he was keying on Whyte's lazy lead right hand every time.

Throwing a lazy lead power hand is something every boxer is told not to do from day one. Whyte kept doing it and the old pro made him pay.

17. B [insert witty comment]

I had Whyte winning every round up until the KO, the 4th round was a blowout & would have given him a sizeable lead had the scorecards came into play. With the exception of the 4th I don't think Whyte was battering him in every round, but I did think he'd won the rounds handily as he appeared to land with more regularity than Povetkin.

The 4th though made the fight seem more one-sided than it probably actually was, but that being said I still think Whyte had won all the previous rounds.. although in saying that, there was still a lot of rounds left to box had Povetkin not flatlined him.

18. famicommander Registered

I think either of the first two rounds could've gone to Povetkin.

But my point was, I don't think Povetkin was worried about winning the rounds. I think he knew Whyte was vulnerable to that uppercut the whole time, as he'd been put on the canvas by uppercuts from Parker and Rivas and he was knocked out on an uppercut by Joshua.

At Povetkin's age I don't think he intended to win a decision. He faded late in the Michael Hunter fight and he ended up being lucky to get a draw. I think his intention from the opening bell was to set up that uppercut, and he executed his plan well. Obviously the plan probably didn't include hitting the canvas twice, but Povetkin wasn't bothered by it and he didn't at all seem surprised to land that uppercut and get the win. He barely reacted.

Iceman and B like this.
  19. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Never cared for Whyte. He blatantly headbutted Parker, tried to suckerpunch Joshua after the bell (twice!) and of course the PEDs.

20. famicommander Registered

Good lord.

If you missed Ivan Baranchyk vs Jose Zepeda, do yourself a favor and watch it.

I won't spoil the winner but it went 5 rounds and there were 9 knockdowns, even though one was incorrectly ruled a slip, and both guys were marked up and cut. The 9th knockdown was a massive KO.

Possible fight of the year, round of the year, and KO of the year all in one.

Doc Samson and Iceman like this.
  21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Thanks for that. Will check it out.

22. B [insert witty comment]

Tyson Fury: ‘I’ve moved on’ from Deontay Wilder trilogy

Doc Samson likes this.
  23. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

I really had no desire to see it anyway. Wilder's deficiencies won't be fixed in a camp or two...

24. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Apparently Fury will fight on December 5th against a top 15 WBC ranked fighter.
    I like Fury but he's not dumb to jeopardize that 2021 mega fight against AJ. So i'm expecting Fury to pick a theoretical easy opponent.

WBC TOP 15

1. Wilder (?)
    2. Usyk - (Fighting Chisora)
    3. Luiz Ortiz (Fighting Alexander Flores)

4. Andy Ruiz
    5. Dillian Whyte (Fighting Povetkin)
    6. Joseph Parker (Fighting Junior Fa)
    7. Daniel Dubois (Fightning Joyce)

8. Oscar Rivas
    9. Hrgovic (Fighting Rydell Booker)
    10. Michael Hunter
    11. Joe Joyce (Fighting Dubois)
    12. Chisora (Fighting Usyk)

13. Charles Martin
    14. Ajaba
    15. Kabayel

Don't be surprised if Kabayel is the opponent.

25. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

You guys and your heavyweights. :oldrazz:

Tonight there's going to be a fight that will, in all likelihood be better than any heavyweight match in the world. My guy Lomo goes up against Teofimo Lopez. This could end up being a seriously great fight and it's FREE on ESPN (7PM Pacific). You guys over the pond better stay up or, at least, DVR it.

So, anyone who frequents this thread knows I pretty much gush when it comes to Lomo, but, ready for a surprise?, I have some doubts about this one. Lopez is an excellent boxer, is bigger, has the right build (more compact), and packs a wallop. This could end up being the good big guy beats the good smaller guy. There are some other things that also play into this. How will the layoff affect Lomo? He's used to fighting regularly and it's been over a year since he's been in the ring. In other words, this deck is a little stacked against him and I could actually see him losing this fight.

One thing I'll say for both of these guys. They aren't playing games, ducking people, making up stupid excuses, and cheating. Both are a credit to the sport and I can't help but wish them both well. Frankly, I'd like to see Lomo go back down to feather. He would absolutely destroy that division. For their own safety, I prefer people fight in their own weight classes and stepping up is the exception rather than the rule. If Lomo can take this fight, my hat is off to him. He's a great, great fighter and presents so many difficulties to his opponents. His defense has been criticized, but when you are as aggressive as he is, your defense has to suffer somewhat. I'll be interested to see what his plan of attack is; if he changes anything to account for Teofimo not being the rangey fighter and being a big puncher.

WRT weight. Typically fighters move up in weight class naturally as they get older. I've noticed that Lomo seems to have remained pretty much the same size. That could be due to the fact that he got into the pro game later than a lot of others or that he keeps himself in constantly good shape or a little of both.

So, what think?

The Endless likes this.