1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 5

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Taylor vs Serrano nearing finish.

2. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Kell Brook retires. Right time to go out on a high note after a good career.

Doc Samson and DarthSkywalker like this.
  3. P Supreme Registered

Got canelo losing 5 - 3 maybe 6 - 2

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  4. P Supreme Registered

Bivol using his range effectively Canelo gots no answer

Iceman and DarthSkywalker like this.
  5. DarthSkywalker Regular As Clockwork (he/him)

I saw the scorecards. Everyone I've seen talking about it, says it wasn't as close as they said. What do you think?

6. P Supreme Registered

Yeah I was giving Canelo credit for being who he was but truly he got thoroughly outboxed to a degree that in a rematch he gets KO'D kid was so cautious at the beginning (understandable) but once he had canelo backing up for consecutive rounds he started pushing him around

One point Canelo tried to lift him up out of frustration cause dude kept leaning on him. Ill tell how confident he was during post fight interview he wished the crowd happy Cinco de mayo and said a rematch I better get treated like the champion I am so he obviously felt disrespected during lead up

Iceman and DarthSkywalker like this.
  7. DarthSkywalker Regular As Clockwork (he/him)

I saw a gif of that. :hehe:

Thanks for the info. :up:

P Supreme likes this.
  8. P Supreme Registered

Canelo for his credit didnt offer any excuses but said he did enough to win

No he didn't I had him losing 9 - 3 and thsts because Bival gave away the first 2 rounds fighting with such caution. He knocks him out in a rematch

9. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

There's no way this should hurt Canelo's legacy. He had zero business in there with a "prime" legit light heavyweight. Kovalev was old and the world already saw him quit, it was comparable to Jones fighting John Ruiz.

That said it shouldn't totally remove the shine from him going up and beating Kovalev, but he also shouldn't take the rematch. He's too small, that's not going to change in camp. I give him respect for stepping up and taking that challenge but I didn't see anything that would change in another fight, he simply reached his limit.

P Supreme and Iceman like this.
  10. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yeah. I think this business of moving up to "prove" yourself is a lot of BS and only serves to put many fighters in more danger than they already are. Lomachenko wasn't really even a legit lightweight and people were pushing to move him up even further. It might be good for the "sport" and for "fans", but it's not good for the fighters.

Doc Samson, Iceman and P Supreme like this.
  11. P Supreme Registered

Its the constant media badgering fighters to move and seek challenges i reckon most would stay in there right classes and beat mandatories

The money unification fights offer also is hard to ignore

I agree Canelo shouldn't be penalized for chasing legacy he reached his limit no shame at all to us boxing purest. But the casual who only watch big fights well those people suck. Lol

Doc Samson, Iceman and InCali like this.
  12. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

My father was a professional fighter and my opinions are really shaped by being around the sport. Fortunately, my dad got out early because he saw the ugly side from up close and didn't want to spend the rest of his days with the after effects. If boxing were regulated properly, it could be so much better for everyone rather than just for a few promoters and their "organizations". It really bothers me. Canelo seems like a good guy and is an outstanding boxer, but I'm not happy with how a lot of these athletes are managed. My father's manager, Jackie McCoy, was a great guy and would never, ever have let something like this happen to one of his fighters.

13. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

At some point, someone has to tell their guys that more money isn't worth your health.

The thing is that these guys are trained to think they can do anything. I talked to my father and he said he never, ever doubted he would win any given fight. It's the manager's job to pump up their guy's confidence AND make sure they don't get in over their head with someone from another weight class that could really hurt them.

14. P Supreme Registered

I respect the hell out of fighters for what they put there bodies through to give us 45 mins of entertainment its brutal the saddest thing to me is seeing retired boxers not being able to speak properly and in poor health while the promoters are wealthy old men its sickening

I literally shed tears when I heard Meldrick Taylor speak after not seeing him for years in a biased documentary about His first fight with JCC.

Doc Samson and Iceman like this.
  15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Bivol definitely won. Credit to Canelo for trying to step up and his legacy is safe regardless. Hard to close the range gap against a very accomplished bigger guy.

P Supreme likes this.
  16. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano was a great fight in case anyone interested.

Doc Samson likes this.
  17. Protagonist Registered

Canelo was not impressive against Caleb Plant too. Plant just lost pace, gas and got exhausted, which Canelo probably predicted, assumed and he finished him. Probably this was his game plan as well but Bivol was another animal, fought smart, strategic and Canelo got frustrated and for the first time could not cope with the qualities of the opponent.

18. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Exactly. Trained warriors who have to have that mentality. I think in a vacuum, if you ask Canelo, he probably thinks he could go a couple rounds with Fury smh. I remember when the media and fans were pushing hard for Floyd to fight Paul Williams. I mean, skill wise there's no comparison but size wise it was just nonsense to even suggest it.

Paul was a "welterweight" in theory for awhile, but we all knew what that was about. That's another thing that irks me, I wish they would stop letting guys masquerade at two to three weight classes lower than they should be. JCC jr wouldn't even have a career if he was fighting in his proper weight class from the jump.

I was, and it was. Actually fight of the year contender in my book.

Iceman likes this.
  19. P Supreme Registered

Doc Samson likes this.
  20. P Supreme Registered

Jesus christ man I can't post from my phone at all lol. My response is in the quote

21. P Supreme Registered

To summarize similar to when Tito Trinidad moved up looking for glory he wanted Roy. Had no business even fighting Hopkins let alone Roy but its the mentality

Iceman and Doc Samson like this.
  22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Doc Samson likes this.
  23. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

I think both Brook and Khan are two of the more underrated boxers of their generation. I just rewatched Crawford-Brook this morning to kill time, and until he walked into that jab, he was giving Terence fits, just like he did against GGG and Spence.

Khan, at his peak, had some of the quickest hands this side of Roy Jones. And I respect the fact that, in a lot of those KOs, he was engaging knowing full well it wouldn't work in his favor if/when he got caught.

Iceman likes this.
  24. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

Never been that high on Haney but props to him for going all in to make that fight happen, something more guys should do.

He fought smart, styles make fights, and Teofimo fought a stupid and reckless fight against Kambosos for whatever reason. I still believe there's a few guys who will give Haney trouble, but for now, nothing but respect for stepping up and putting his money where his mouth is...

Iceman likes this.
  25. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I'm actually surprised they gave that to him. I thought that was a setup from the jump. But he has to fight him again in Australia and has 4 more fights with Top Rank. I do wonder now that he is undisputed will Lomachenko fight him now or wait until he moves up.

Iceman likes this.