Superman Returns The Official Bryan Singer Thread

The Punisher

Sidekick
Reaction score
Found this on brandonrouth.com:

Brian Singer said:
"What I was referring to was the fact that, when you do a first film like X-Men, for example, you're introducing a world and a set of characters. Once those characters are introduced, once we've lived with them for awhile and we know them, when you get into a second film like an Empire Strikes Back or a Wrath of Khan, you can make an action-adventure film and you don't have to bank all that time getting to know the characters. Now you can raise the stakes, raise the jeopardy and make a leaner, meaner movie."

So that's what he meant by "Wrath of Khan."

http://brandonrouth.com/

Its not quite that simple to say.

Its been 25 years since Donner's movies. Its the 'new' franchise's first movie and it had to start as a launching point.

The same was true with the Star Trek movies. Everyone knew the characters had been in the tv show for 3 seasons in the sixties. But they had to re-introduce the concept again in The Motion Picture.

Originally Posted by Brian Singer
"What I was referring to was the fact that, when you do a first film like X-Men, for example, you're introducing a world and a set of characters. Once those characters are introduced, once we've lived with them for awhile and we know them, when you get into a second film like an Empire Strikes Back or a Wrath of Khan, you can make an action-adventure film and you don't have to bank all that time getting to know the characters. Now you can raise the stakes, raise the jeopardy and make a leaner, meaner movie."

Well i'll resort from the singer bashing this time and look things from an optimistic approach.
Hopefully singer keeps his word :

Now you can raise the stakes, raise the jeopardy and make a leaner, meaner movie."

Well Brian. Here's hoping you don't screw it up

Not buying <entirely> Singer's explanation. To be fair, he needed to re-introduce the characters, but I really didn't feel for any of them by the end of the movie. I didn't care too much for Lois, Richard, Clark, or Supes for that matter -- if SR was about personalizing the characters, then it failed on that account.

Kabuki_Jo said:
So why mention Donner in the first place?
possibly because he thought donner did a good job and felt it was a good base to work off of?

Empire Strikes Back

Wrath of Khan

wow he sure knows how to pick 'em.lets hope he doesnt fall flat on his face by setting the bar too high.

Yeah we knew this stuff. Can't wait to read about what they're cooking up for the next one.

wonder how soon before news of substance starts to leak...

Bad Superman said:
Wasn't Superman and company introduced by Donner, hence Singer's Return story?? I don't buy it. :cmad:

The whole point of Superman Returns was to NOT have to re-introduce the characters with their origins, and just jump off the donner movies, and do this as a Returns story in which we all already know these characters but now we get them updated, and with new actors playing the same storyline which we all knew.

If you seen part 1, and 2 then you could follow along on the storyline in SR... Because it's a sequel to Superman 1 & 2...

So in reality he should have got all "Wrath of Kahn" or whatever nerdboy said with this movie, and not the next.

Him using xmen as an example further shows what an idiot this man is...

Sad that an idiot like him is in charge of directing Superman movies... I guess it explains why SR was a total boxoffice flop...

Steelsheen said:
Empire Strikes Back

Wrath of Khan

wow he sure knows how to pick 'em.lets hope he doesnt fall flat on his face by setting the bar too high.

Let's hope that like those movies we get a diffrent DIRECTOR for the sequel... :o

FanboyX_Returns said:
The whole point of Superman Returns was to NOT have to re-introduce the characters with their origins, and just jump off the donner movies, and do this as a Returns story in which we all already know these characters but now we get them updated, and with new actors playing the same storyline which we all knew.

If you seen part 1, and 2 then you could follow along on the storyline in SR... Because it's a sequel to Superman 1 & 2...

So in reality he should have got all "Wrath of Kahn" or whatever nerdboy said with this movie, and not the next.

Him using xmen as an example further shows what an idiot this man is...

Sad that an idiot like him is in charge of directing Superman movies... I guess it explains why SR was a total boxoffice flop...

No that wasnt the point of SR at all, it was to RE-INTRODUCE the character to a newer audience while at the same updating them for a 'newer fresher audience' as Bryan put it. This movie was never just a jump off from the first two movies, it was to get Superman into the public's minds again.

thats why the movie was also made for people who had never seen the Donner movies.

As regards to the interview, i like it and i think the sequel will kick complete ass!!!

The Punisher said:
Found this on brandonrouth.com:

[/SIZE]

So that's what he meant by "Wrath of Khan."

http://brandonrouth.com/
why is this singer so arrogant and thick the face??? the sequel wasn't greenlit and he wasn't assigned yet. all these talks are just BS.

I'm sure Singer has an idea as to the kind of expectations the fans & studio has for the sequel, enough to give us a whopper. At least, I hope so...

==================

I'm Poutine-Man!

Oh yeah absolutely... Everyone could guess this was what he meant without help. It's a given. Most sequels I've ever known of go wrath of khan or ESB, or try to, at least... Singer's still not doing very well in these interviews by promising to wrath of khan it though because what does that also mean he'll search for spock the third if we get one? Just say you plan to go bigger and better... gosh.

I always knew he meant that in a sequel he'd pump it up so to speak. But I don't get this...Why does he compare SR to xmen 1 all the time? They're incomparable imo.

Aquaman said:
Its not quite that simple to say.

Its been 25 years since Donner's movies. Its the 'new' franchise's first movie and it had to start as a launching point.

The same was true with the Star Trek movies. Everyone knew the characters had been in the tv show for 3 seasons in the sixties. But they had to re-introduce the concept again in The Motion Picture.
Actually, since this is a sequel to Superman 2, it technically isnt a new franchise. And in Star Trek the motion picture, they weren't re-inroducing the characters, they were just giving them each a seperate entrance scene into the movie. The only thing that was actaully a re-introduction was the new Enterprise, which the director said he did that scene that way to say to the audience "this is the Enterprise now." It was just a continuation of the show 5 years later.

it's kinda a stupid comment because the reason it's even a sequel to the originals is because so that he skipped the whole introduction thing and dive directly into the "wrath of kahn" movie. The reason for this vague history nonsense is because we knew the characters already from the donner films, and this is just the next chapter. Now he's going back on his word. If he really needed to reintroduce the characters, then he really should have just done an origin film instead.

i gotta admit i was a lil' disappointed with SR...a leaner, meaner movie is something we should've gotten this year, not a few years from now...but if WB still wants Singer hopefully he's learned his lesson and will beef up the action in the next movie. c'mon Singer! think Bay or Spielberg or somethin'!

:down:
SInger, you have spoilt superman enough!!!
stop doing it anymore!!!

I had replied to this same topic in the Planet, but it's down and I don't feel like typing out another one.

The Sage said:
I had replied to this same topic in the Planet, but it's down and I don't feel like typing out another one.

Yeah, i saw that the Planet was down. Sucks really.

M.O.Steel I couldn't agree with you further. Singer said no origin movie cuz everyone already either knew the history from the old motion pictures (for the older fans) or Smallville (for the younger fans). that's what he said. now he is taking his own word back, what a loser. and is he implying that x1 had more action than x2? I know this is subjective but I thought there was waaayyyy more action in this first one where they actually fought each other as opposed to just running around an underground base all day long.

and to hell with the more action motive. the films (well, Donner's) real strengths and interests are in the actual story, not the action. Singer couldn't even think of anything original at all, he photocopied Donner's plot and like all photocopies the original is a sharper, cleaner cut.

Singer has to go, and Routh has to go, and the kid has to go. no one gives a **** that Superman is a father. any actual father has gotta be thinking "well, wtf's the world renowned heroism in that?" how is Supes supposed to touchingly save the day with the kid? fly him to soccer practice on time when Lois is stuck in traffic? lame. and all Singer's fault.

^^^^LOL@Routh has to go

Routh is far better than Reeve in every facet. No chance of you finding an actor more suitable than Routh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"