Superman Returns The Official Bryan Singer Thread

It isn't the first movie, but it doesn't mean we can't talk about those problems and debate them. There were problems, this movie was by no means flawless.

^Oh i agree, we can discuss the problems, but some people go overboard when you do.

Some people go overboard on both sides, some defending it until they turn blue and some ripping it a new one.

We're not ripping a new one. We just don't wanna a Singer directed sequel.
He's had his chance and he blew it...shame...

I didnt say you, I said some people. On both sides of the fence people go overboard. It's just a movie.

WormyT said:
Singer turned THEE icon of masculinity into a dumb, shy, crybaby wimp.

He had no screen presence, little to no dialogue (even though hes the title character) and the suit looked like it was made with shiny showercurtains with a tupperwear Shield and fisherprise plastic belt.
He failed. The Nerve of him to add a Superchild and NOT add a single heavy hitting Supervillain after 20 years. Even if he only had luthor a comic like All Star Superman and Superman:Birthright have Luthor written so much better with superb dialolgue, plot interaction between hero and nemisis.
After 20 years we were rewarded with 1 line of dialogue between Superman and Luthor. 20 years!! The reason? maybe Brandon can't act? Wow, well thats reassuring for the sequel.
Uch! SR is just a really bad Superman movie, i can't believe a single male could settle on such mediocrity.
Theres no Superman Curse, theres only bad decisions made by the execs at WB. You guys did GOOD by hiring Bruce Tim for the animated show, now you need to hire someone like Peter Jackson for director and someone familiar with Superman books for a screenwriter and give us a Superman movie that blows away Spidey2 and batman begins. It's certainly possible, just not with Singer and his Dull, feminine, narrow and lackluster tv quality vision.

:up:

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
What the **** do any of those have to do with Luthor becoming President. At least the things in SR COULD happen in the real world.

Kid_Kaos said:
??????????????????????????????

:wow:

--> OFFICIAL MIND MELTDOWN

:ninja:

HaHaHa! :woot:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?optio...age=1&category=featured&article=581&Itemid=27
With Superman Returns breaking $200 Million domestically and a worldwide gross of over $390 million, Warner Bros. is moving forward with the sequel.
supermanupupaway.jpg
Weeks before the DVD has it’s grandiose release, the IESB has learned that Bryan Singer has finalized a deal to move forward with the sequel this past weekend and the studio is planning to start production sometime next fall, possibly next September. When the IESB contacted a studio rep for comments we got this response - Warner Bros. does not comment on projects that are in development. A few calls later, other studio insiders confirmed that the deal was finalized last week and the team that brought Superman Returns to theaters earlier this year will return for the sequel.
We have been told that a couple of things are for certain. For one, the sequel will have a slightly smaller budget. Returns budget was approximately $208 million dollars with P&A (prints and ads) of about $50 million putting it at around $260. The sequel is expected to be around $140-175 million plus marketing.
Second, more action, tons more action is expected this time around. The studio was quite happy with the way Supes was reintroduced to the world and next time around expect to see him in full action battle mode. We’ve been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.

Dang you beat me to it :oldrazz: . I was just about to post that
Well it's still not OFFICIAL confirmation but at least we know some more facts.

This is reassuring :woot: :
Second, more action, tons more action is expected this time around.

We’ve been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.

And this isn't :csad: :
The sequel is expected to be around $140-175 million plus marketing.

Not to a bit annoying but given the epic scale of the CG sequences in a superman movie , i hardly think that 140 million dollar is appropriate.
To give you an example , Spiderman 1 had a budget of around 140 million and the CG sequences did pale in comparison to Spiderman 2 which had a budget of 200 million.
Or is this again the case of what Brian Singer did with SR where they greenlit the movie at around 180 million and then afterwards added CG sequences that cost more and ultimately the budget rose to 200 million .:huh:

ANyways , happy that things are moving forward and that this time they'll introduce a classic DC villain
NAY for Zod :cmad:
YAy for Brainiac ......or Doomsday :woot:

YYYYYEEESSSSS!!!!!!! Great news, welcome back Bryan et al. I know your gonna knock us out with this sequel and i'm already excited!!!! Superman is gonna have the battle of his life? I cant wait.

matrix_ghost said:
Dang you beat me to it :oldrazz: . I was just about to post that
Well it's still not OFFICIAL confirmation but at least we know some more facts.

This is reassuring :woot: :

And this isn't :csad: :

Not to a bit annoying but given the epic scale of the CG sequences in a superman movie , i hardly think that 140 million dollar is appropriate.
To give you an example , Spiderman 1 had a budget of around 140 million and the CG sequences did pale in comparison to Spiderman 2 which had a budget of 200 million.
Or is this again the case of what Brian Singer did with SR where they greenlit the movie at around 180 million and then afterwards added CG sequences that cost more and ultimately the budget rose to 200 million .:huh:

ANyways , happy that things are moving forward and that this time they'll introduce a classic DC villain
NAY for Zod :cmad:
YAy for Brainiac ......or Doomsday :woot:

Spiderman 1's buget was only $100 million, and they only hugely improved them for the 2nd movie because lots of people complained about some of the effects in the 1st. Thats not the case with this movie!

Nope spidey 1's budget was more then 100 million ave :cwink: :

Spiderman 1 :
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2002/SPIDR.php
Production Budget $139,000,000
Prints and Advertising Budget $50,000,000
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman.htm
Production Budget: $139 million

Spiderman 2 :
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2004/SPID2.php
Production Budget $200,000,000
Prints and Advertising Budget $57,000,000
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman2.htm
Production Budget: $200 million

Yes i know that people complained about some of the VFX in the first movie and of course the fact that a sequel needs to be bigger and better then the first one.

But anyway going back to superman.
With technology getting better and better each time , i think a 170 million dollar for superman might work.
If they invest probably two thirds into the VFX budget , or they shoot the movie George Lucas style .
One of the things that does make movies cost alot is the time factor. The shorter the post.prod schedule the more money the studio needs to cough up to get high quality VFX.
If you look at movies like Matrix reloaded and Revolutions , they have huge VFX sequences. And complicated as well. Still their budgets are lower then most big blockbusters of today. Reason : Time
They spent a good time working on their VFX sequences. The Burly brawl took almost 4years to complete.
The Machine City took a year and a half to complete.

If Singer can do that , then i think it could work. One of the good things is that WB always spreads their VFX's over lots of companies.
Sony will obviously do the bulk of the most complicated stuff again , but hopefully this time ( assuming that the movie does in fact begin production in september) they'll have a year to complete the VFX.

And if WB was smart , they'd release this movie in november.

having more action and a smaller budget makes no sense to me. they could at least hav the budget somewhere at 190.

I agree Dark B. It may be cheaper only because some of the sets or CGI have been made already (or at least they don't have to start from scratch).

But still, I think Singer needs a budget consultant or something to calm down the money spending.

But then again, that's hard espically when you're introducing a suppose super villain...hopefully his name rhymes with "Rainiac"

People , People !
I'll repeat my words again :
Singer may be doing the same thing he did on the first movie. Which is greenlighting the movie on a smaller budget and then afterwards insert the VFX sequences that he had to remove so that movie could be made.

And let's not forget that the words of Guilleromo Del Toro who will make a HellBoy sequel for the same budget as the first HellBoy movie.
Amazing ....yes consedering that the sequel of HellBoy 2 will have bigger action scenes.

So yes , it's not unlikely the smaller budget and more action won't go.
Besides at least you know that a certain 10 million dollar scene of the first movie will be in this one.
Return to Krypton scenes means that 10 million dollars of the VFX can be spent on something else :woot:

I doubt that WB would budge if Singer pulled that same crap again. That's why I'm sure there's restrictions on certain things, that's for sure.

matrix_ghost said:
People , People !
I'll repeat my words again :
Singer may be doing the same thing he did on the first movie. Which is greenlighting the movie on a smaller budget and then afterwards insert the VFX sequences that he had to remove so that movie could be made.

And let's not forget that the words of Guilleromo Del Toro who will make a HellBoy sequel for the same budget as the first HellBoy movie.
Amazing ....yes consedering that the sequel of HellBoy 2 will have bigger action scenes.

So yes , it's not unlikely the smaller budget and more action won't go.
Besides at least you know that a certain 10 million dollar scene of the first movie will be in this one.
Return to Krypton scenes means that 10 million dollars of the VFX can be spent on something else :woot:
cuting out a 10 milions scene ? ;)

140 million to 175 million is plenty of cash to make a Returns sequel work, even with more action. And if they start in September of 2007. That gives them one year and 10 months to work on this film. If this story is correct, it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't at least worked a bit of the script out already.

As they already have some big sets (the Fortress, the Planet exterior and interiors), the CGI Metropolis and Superman, a big chunk of the costs for the sequel can be cut.
SR budget was so high because they thought they could afford it, so they gave Singer maybe more than what he needed. Like the big pre-viz studio.

Well, pre-viz is very important for films such as these. I don't see the pre-viz department going anywhere. It does save money when you have certain sequences (action wise) already pre-viz to help out the production.

J.Howlett said:
Well, pre-viz is very important for films such as these. I don't see the pre-viz department going anywhere. It does save money when you have certain sequences (action wise) already pre-viz to help out the production.
Sure it helps, but creating a new pre-viz office with 20 people working on SR only isn't so cost efficient.

You still have to have the department working in the sequel. I wouldn't go into any film of this size, with complex action sequences without a pre-viz department planning out these sequences.

You've got to have them. If you don't, you will waste money on time.

J.Howlett said:
You still have to have the department working in the sequel. I wouldn't go into any film of this size, with complex action sequences without a pre-viz department planning out these sequences.
Sure, but you usually go to a company that does pre-viz, hire them for a month or so, give them the storyboards and they do (for a reasonable price) all the work. You don't buy 20 computers and hire 20 persons for months to work on a single project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"