Civil War The Official Captain America 3 News & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue I have is it feels like the only time the Avengers existed as a team was during a brief period between TWS and AoU that we never got to see.

I mean, I thought the first film was a setup for what would eventually lead to a team. The "Avengers" as we knew them in the comics didn't exist yet, it was just a group that came together to stop a specific threat then went their separate ways. The "A Tower" at the end hinted at what was about to come, at the Avengers as we know them. As in an Avengers Tower, day-to-day normal interactions, a team dynamic fully established, etc.

Now it looks like the team will fall apart in A2, then we get Tony and Cap at odds, then if the rumors are true we get a whole new team in A3 or a "Marvel vs Thanos" film under the Avengers logo, where everyone fights Thanos. Avenger or not.

If that's indeed the case, then in the 10+ years the MCU would have existed by then, the only time we would've seen the Avengers as a fully functioning team was during the first few minutes of A2?

I really resist this idea. It feels like there never was a team, outside a marketing standpoint, and more like a few individuals that just happened to cross paths on a few occasions. If that's the only time I'm getting to see them as a team - a glimpse in the overall grand scheme of things - why should I be invested when that team falls apart and Cap and Tony have to fight?

We can't have five movies of the Avengers working as a happy family. It would get boring, and turn into a villain of the week kind of film franchise. They need to elevate each film, above and beyond. If the actors portraying the Avengers were signed for 15 films, okay, I'd see your point. But that isn't gonna happen.

I want to see the brush strokes from every major comic book plot line played out, and Marvel Studios knows what its doing with these chess moves. Just throw them your hat, man. They'll take care of you.

My whole thing is that because RDJ is in Cap 3 that Cap and the rest of the characters will be forced in the background in what is essentially their movie. I think it would be different if he was playing a small part in a larger scheme of the movie. But considering the fact that they're paying RDJ an obscene amount of money to be in this, they are going to milk it for all it's worth. Which sucks for anyone who wanted to see an end to the WS plot.

HYDRA is so hard up for assassins they have to defrost someone to cut a break line? Why? They have an entire STRIKE team on call not to mention weasels like Sitwell. And nothing in BW's rundown of him or what we saw on screen from him screamed subtle - he seems more designed to terrorize or instill fear before he kills not go about behind the scenes arranging "accidents". I mean really, that outfit and that hair aren't exactly low key.

YES! As long as they needed the attempt to be successful and look like an accident. They pay people in real life a **** ton of money to get a mission like that accomplished. You need a precise killing done, you don't hire a desk jockey like Sitwell or a glorified Seal Team. Not to mention the attempts on Fury and Cap were after multiple ones had failed. And considering that the two of them could really screw the pooch on the whole Hydra takeover thing I don't think his handlers were concerned that a masked man with no identification or ties to anyone in the outside world with a gun shooting up the street and blowing **** up wouldn't have a problem evading the laws. But, you know, it only me and the directors of the film who think that.

One thing that I'm definitely even more curious about is...where does this leave Hydra then?

I really doubt that the Avengers will eliminate them all at the start of "Age of Ultron". Does that mean that coulson and his group will primarily deal with them if Cap and Iron man are too busy fighting each other?

Hydra can't be a threat in all these movies. It will get people tired of it. After AoU, I believe Hydra will be done in the movie universe, for now.

Going to be moving to the cosmos, in terms of villains.

I can see Hydra being a recurring element for Cap and SHIELD, but not for the whole MCU. I'm definitely eager to see the rise of Cosmic threats to the Avengers characters.

Well should Hydra finally be defeated within the MCU, I would rather prefer that it take place in a film where Captain America is present in considering his history with hem.

And I really hope that they only adopt certain parts of the "civil war" story line from the comics into this film since, as far as I remember, the comic book arc really ended on a poor note...with Tony being treated as the victor and Rogers as the loser despite it being made obvious on who was really wrong about it all.

We can't have five movies of the Avengers working as a happy family. It would get boring, and turn into a villain of the week kind of film franchise. They need to elevate each film, above and beyond. If the actors portraying the Avengers were signed for 15 films, okay, I'd see your point. But that isn't gonna happen.

I want to see the brush strokes from every major comic book plot line played out, and Marvel Studios knows what its doing with these chess moves. Just throw them your hat, man. They'll take care of you.

He didn't say 5 movies of happy families, but maybe one film where they are a unified team, of course with some bickering that goes on between the various members.

The Tony vs Steve fight will lose impact when it looks like that's what they have wanted to do all the time anyway.

Hello everyone, haven't been herefor a while. .I just read the news that civil war will be adapted ..hope that does not meant cap/chris evans dying.

I love chris evans as cap, would like to see hin continue in that role.

Just because RDJ's being paid a lot doesn't mean he'll have a role equal to Cap, or even Falcon/Bucky. He's just expensive.

Mackie's reaction to this news would be priceless. Surely something to do with kicking Downey's ass.

The role of "Iron Man" has pretty much become RDJ's current financial crutch at this point in his career.

Aside from his role of Iron Man, the only memorable roles that I think can of him in being post the first Iron Man film are "Tropic Thunder" and the "Sherlock Holmes" films.

The role of "Iron Man" has pretty much become RDJ's current financial crutch at this point in his career.

Aside from his role of Iron Man, the only memorable roles that I think can of him in being post the first Iron Man film are "Tropic Thunder" and the "Sherlock Holmes" films.

He'll always be Julian to me. :oldrazz:

YES! As long as they needed the attempt to be successful and look like an accident. They pay people in real life a **** ton of money to get a mission like that accomplished. You need a precise killing done, you don't hire a desk jockey like Sitwell or a glorified Seal Team. Not to mention the attempts on Fury and Cap were after multiple ones had failed. And considering that the two of them could really screw the pooch on the whole Hydra takeover thing I don't think his handlers were concerned that a masked man with no identification or ties to anyone in the outside world with a gun shooting up the street and blowing **** up wouldn't have a problem evading the laws. But, you know, it only me and the directors of the film who think that.

Come now, this is HYDRA and half of SHIELD on their payroll. People like BW and probably others like her who also have killed for a living. They have more than one skilled assassin on call and I'm sure they have experts in many different fields and specialties of killing. Sitwell is more than a desk jockey as we say in his Blu Ray short but really he's just one cog in HYDRA but again they have tons of people working for them.

Are we suppossed to believe everyone at HYDRA is incompetent at killing except the WS who actually doesn't suceed in assassinating any of his targets in the film either - just murdering lots of civilians and SHIELD agents who get in the way?

He shoots three of his targets in this movie and yet fails to be on target and kill any of them - even Fury who was just sitting there in Steve's apt. Maybe those goggles are prescription and he needs it updated. :o

Again, there is nothing nothing nothing about the WS that is subtle or low key. It's like saying Steve is subtle and low key when he's wearing the red, white and blue. He's not - it a symbol. Which is why he wears the more subtle Stealth suit when he actually wants to be a bit stealthy (though still with the star on his chest so not all the way stealthy just a bit stealthy and a lot sexy)

TWS is dressed up to look like a scary bleeping killing machine - mission accomplished. Yes it's comic book accurate but it's not in any way covert or subtle. Maybe if he was just wearing a black catsuit like BW (unzipped just enough to show off his chest) but he's all armored, padded and buckled with his metal freaking arm uncovered and his long hair flying in the breeze in broad daylight. It's not like he picks out his own clothes and does his own hair - so what is HYDRA's thinking behind this get up? To scare and intimidate, not to blend in.

The directors and writers didn't even want the WS on that street trying to take out Fury. But Feige wanted him to show up earlier in the film so there he is posing and striding s-l-o-w-l-y toward Fury who has time to escape. It's a bad ass scene but makes the later "he's a ghost" line laughable.

So you're saying he's only been in 7 memorable and high grossing movies in the past 6 years. Or basically almost all the movies he's made in the past 6 years... That's kind of what happens when actors are in big tent pole films, they spend most all their working time making and promoting them.

That's like saying Marvel making superhero movies and making money from them is a crutch because those are the only movies they make. Er yes.

Just because RDJ's being paid a lot doesn't mean he'll have a role equal to Cap, or even Falcon/Bucky. He's just expensive.

He's not just expensive - he's RDJ and you don't get him for your your movie for 30-40 days and not use him to to the best of your and his abilities. That's a waste of any extremely valuable asset and I'm not taking his pay check.

If he's working that much - about half the shoot - it's a significant role and most likely the second biggest in the film, at minimum as much as Fury + Pierce screen time combined. If he's the main antagonist then this is screen time the main villain would normally fill. But more impactful since he's not the villain.

From the rumors it seems like the Steve/Tony conflict is a carry over from AOU and that's an important part of Steve's role and character in the MCU the same wasy what happened in TWS affected the rest of the MCU and AOU. Not having the relationships and storyline stop and start at the beginning and end of the Avengers movies makes for a richer interconnected universe and richer more layered characters. Tony providing conflict in CA 3 is still about Steve and his story.

I do think it's necessary for AOU to show they've become friends though since that's what gave Civil War such weight. We can't have the almost 50 years of deep friendship they had in the comics but we need something more than we got in The Avengers.

TWS managed to have BW almost be a co-lead in the film and that didn't take away Steve being the lead and main character because a) they were mostly team up scenes and b) almost everything that happened on screen related back to Steve. It was his story even for the few scenes he was off screen.

At the same time it also managed to tell the stories of BW, Fury, WS and to an extent Sam - and Steve's relationships with all of them while also giving us an intricate web of villains and an over arching villain plot.

This film should still be able to feature his main support players as part of his team and highlight their relationships with Steve. It's easier to do when it's a team concept since screen time is shared (see Steve, Nat and later Sam working together) . According to the same rumors from Devin BW is also not in the movie much (and was never planned to be I think in it at all from early talk) so that opens up a lot of room and screen time for other characters in Steve's entourage. I'm more concerned about the rumored number of people on Steve's team vying for screen time than I am about RDJ in the rumored antgonist role.

Last edited:
This development about a Civil War, or Civil War-inspired storyline for Captain America 3 and for Phase 3 overall, is great and gives the MCU some added excitement and depth. I really hope it is true, and by all accounts the information's all coming from reliable sources. It's been great reading all the possible political storylines here in this thread.

Now, I’m just wondering what an Iron Man vs. Captain America fight would look like, if they actually come to blows (which would not necessarily happen).

Forget the comparison to Thor & Hulk, Steve Rogers is not even anywhere near as strong or as durable as Spider Man. How is he supposed to defend himself against Iron Man’s arsenal? His shield will help, but I would think in this fight, Captain America should have access to other weapons, but what would they be and from where?

And Iron Man went toe-to-toe with Thor briefly, who was not fighting 100% but they both got good shots in against each other. And Captain America was fighting hard against Loki and couldn’t do anything to him, and Loki is a good few notches below Thor in strength/powers (although probably has similar durability).

Very interesting!

Last edited:
As long as the World's future doesnt depend on a vending machine, everything should be fine

If CA3 ends like this :hubba

Aargh, not likely since he will probably be in A3

iron-man-and-captain-america.jpg

Avengers 3 ending like that! ^

This development about a Civil War, or Civil War-inspired storyline for Captain America 3 and for Phase 3 overall, is great and gives the MCU some added excitement and depth. I really hope it is true, and by all accounts the information's all coming from reliable sources. It's been great reading all the possible political storylines here in this thread.

Now, I’m just wondering what an Iron Man vs. Captain America fight would look like, if they actually come to blows (which would not necessarily happen).

Forget the comparison to Thor & Hulk, Steve Rogers is not even anywhere near as strong or as durable as Spider Man. How is he supposed to defend himself against Iron Man’s arsenal? His shield will help, but I would think in this fight, Captain America should have access to other weapons, but what would they be and from where?

And Iron Man went toe-to-toe with Thor briefly, who was not fighting 100% but they both got good shots in against each other. And Captain America was fighting hard against Loki and couldn’t do anything to him, and Loki is a good few notches below Thor in strength/powers (although probably has similar durability).

Very interesting!
Well the Comic, Cap and IM DID fight during Civil War. Also upon Thor's return from a Previous Ragnarok where Thor replaces Odin as All Father and then some as Rune Thor, Thor finds out Tony (with the help of friends) made a Clone Thor ( who fans called Clor or now called Raganarok) using DNA Tony basically saved without Thor's knowledge and pissed Thor off in a major way and basically punted Stark a town over.

EDIT Civil war would HAVE to be an Avengers movie, TOO much to deal with all together.
Avengers Age of Ultron, seeing as we will see the Hulk Buster armor, leads me to believe Stark will have done the same as the comic, and saved a Hair from Thor in the Avengers tower and that "party" they were seen in a photo from AoU. Stark being a futurist and planning ahead with Armor, I can see him doing the same as the Comic and trying to unethically copy Thor in some way

Last edited:
I think Tony cloning Thor and being on the side to recruit villains to hunt down his friends who won't sign might just be a couple of things they don't use in an MCU adaptation of the Civil War. Just a guess. :woot:

Well i would take that crutch any day of the week, 40 million plus all those bonuses? only Nicholson and Cruise have made deals of that amount, its just nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"