The Official Captain America: Civil War TAGGED SPOILER Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Captain America: Civil War' started by BatsDC, Apr 8, 2016.

1. AvengerPA Registered

The Vision lifted the hammer. He is worthy.
    Iron Man could not lift the hammer, so Pepper broke up with him.
    War Machine could not lift the hammer, so he has no girlfriend.
    Hawkeye already has a wife, so he doesn't need to lift the hammer.
    Thor can lift the hammer, so he can have Jane Foster.
    Captain America could only budge the hammer, so he is a 98-year-old virgin.

2. Sleiek Registered

^^:hehe:

Actually I never bothered to compare the fight scenes from both films, I compared the entire experience of both films days ago. Reading these comments made me think about how I felt about them and compared the tense moments.

3. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh ok that makes more sense. :woot:

4. StormC Custom User Title?

So how does Vision getting it on with Wanda factor into that? :cwink:

5. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

I'm not talking about the beginning of the fight. I was very specific about the moment(s) where Tony totally dropped the ball on his true goal.

Steve and Bucky are unarmed when all three drop from the missile launching tunnel to the bottom. Tony's got weapons built into his suit, although the repulsors in his right hand and foot are compromised.

Tony gets up and faces Steve, and Steve says "This doesn't change what happened." Tony replies, "I don't care, he killed my mom" and charges Steve. Bucky, all the while, is behind Tony, unprotected by Steve, and unarmed. When Tony starts beating on Steve, that's when Bucky sees the shield on the platform and joins the fight.

Tony had a good 5 seconds to just turn around and blast Bucky, but he didn't. He's mad, but Steve says something first, so Steve is the person he "mantrums" on.

The same thing happens at the very end of the fight.

Tony again stands in between Steve and Bucky, and could easily turn enough to blast Bucky, who is lying on the ground barely able to move. But he's too busy "mantrum-ing" at Steve. In fact, he's so distracted that Bucky manages to get Tony to devote 100% of his attention to kicking Bucky in the face, which allows Steve the opening to pick up Tony and end the fight.

But with the inclusion of the "blasting Sam" scene, the audience is already used to seeing an illogical and emotionally rash Tony...

6. Weadazoid Registered

I have a question, kind of spoilery so I came here. As we watched it all unfold and the big reveal was there
    was more Super solider serums and obvious more then one 'winter solider' and we saw the pamphlets with the red star several times was anyone else kind of very sad that the X-Men Character Omega Red cannot show up in this universe?
    I mean maybe eventually but for what ever reason my mind when there

also was anyone else disappointed
    that the other five soliders were killed off I was interested to see where that could go, it was a shock that he just offed them, but it was a brilliant move to get all three of the men together and then show the recording
    by Baron. I do feel even though Zemo was just a human pulling the strings, he was quite interesting and at least very well developed.

The fight sequence at the Airport was a bit campy, compared to some of the other fights this MCU has given us, it lacked the power for me of the fight between, Iron Man and the Cap vs Thor, only because that also was a first ever thing. It was cool and you have to LOOOOOOVE this version of Spiderman, witty banter that rivals pretty much everyone else, and they did justice to his strength level. As a cautionary observer of yet another Spiderman on film that made me very happy, he was not toned [BLACKOUT]down, when Bucky hits just about anything else with his metal fist the results are pretty vicious, but Spiderman catches that punch[/BLACKOUT] and is downright awesome in that moment!!

7. carpenter82 Registered

Not asking this as a criticism, but what was Captain America's arc in this film, or in Winter Soldier?

8. jaymes_e06 Registered

I've said my peace on that point a while ago and I don't think that he had a great arc, or at least it was much less complex in this film.

He was pretty much just building on some arcs already created from other films and that is fine it just felt like a bit of a shaft to me: it was a Captain America film after all.

That being said his Winter Soldier arc was trying to stand true to his morals in such an immoral new time. I loved that dichotomy of him trying to help people find fight their own demons too and show them they don't have to go along with the immorality if they don't want to.

9. Steamteck Registered

Someone really needed to call him on that presentation though. It basically proved to me that Tony and Govt organizations couldn't be trusted.

10. FlareKnight Registered

I'm not sure he needs a big arc in every film though. Thought this was a great natural progression of Cap's story and his overall arc. It just continued to progress him in the direction he had decided to go. This movie showing the consequences and the conflict of that path.

And I think that's ok. Cap had reached a good point after the previous films that it was worthwhile to stop and examine where that put him. His inability to trust governments after what he's seen and putting more trust in himself and those around him. The willingness to put his life on the line to protect Bucky and to try and get him back.

If nothing else I think he learned a lot from how this movie ended. Keeping the truth from Tony allowed things to spiral out of control. In a sense...he compartmentalized that information. Potentially realizing he can suffer the same flaws and failings that Fury had. And in the end he chose to be Steve Rogers over Captain America.

11. BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Cap hasn't really had any development since TFA.

12. TeeKay Registered

He doesn't change but the world around him does.

13. BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

If you're referring to him being brought into the present, that also happened in TFA.

14. Kev4000 Registered

What? From the nice soldier to the man who asked every action of the country?

15. BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

The nice soldier was lying on enlistment forms and disobeying orders to save his friend.

16. MyDudeSpidey Marvel's

You're joking right?

17. FlareKnight Registered

Yes he has...did you watch any Marvel movies after The First Avenger?

Even in the Avengers he had character development. He had the wish to just follow orders. When recruited for that mission he was fine at the start just doing what he was told. Never even really considering that he could turn down the mission. But by the end of the movie he was willing to do some digging and take matters into his hands.

Look where he is now. In TFA he did sometimes takes matters into his hand, but he still stayed with the military and was willing to submit to punishment. By Civil War he has much more confidence in the validity of his opinions. He didn't free his friends and then stay in the prison to be arrested. TFA Cap would have.

Cap is far more suspicious of large government bodies than he ever was before. He may have had issues on occasions with individuals within those bodies (Generals, Fury, etc) but he still was willing to serve those governmental bodies as a whole. He absolutely changed, especially through Winter Soldier. If he hasn't changed than literally no one has since the first movie they appeared in. He's grown and changed because of his experiences.

#717 FlareKnight, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  18. BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

In TFA, Steve wasn't working with anyone crooked. He wasn't anti-military, Philips had a reasonable stance, and Steve submitted himself to punishment after he did what he needed to.

In The Avengers, there wasn't really an arc to it. Tony pointed out something was fishy and Steve went directly to investigate. That wasn't "by the end of the movie" in the least.

19. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well no matter how you look at it, he doesn't like bullies, and not having the right to choose what you can morally do hasn't changed in any of the films really

20. DCnightwing23 Registered

I'm late to the thread, this much is true. However I'd like to point out how idiotic Tony looks after this movie. So his big change of heart is when the kids mother greets him after his speech at the college and tells him he's the reason why her son is dead. Then he has the nerve to use what happened during AOU as a reason he's backing the accords. Ummm, last time I checked he created Ultron because of his damn paranoia and hence I place the blame of what happened in AOU directly on his shoulders. In fact, due to the MOS backlash with all the destruction and casualties, I'd say AOU made a point to reference how hard all the other avengers were working to ensure the least amount of casualties. So again, Tony is a direct cause of any casualties that occurred during AOU. I just find it hard to believe Tony says the rest of the Avengers need to be apart of the accords, when he's directly responsible for the biggest event in the MCU that could have easily been avoided. The Avengers weren't responsible for the first Avengers battle, they were the only ones defending it, in fact the government wanted to nuke the damn city lol. They also reference what went down in Washington with the events of CA:WS but again, Captain America was stopping Hydra because they had been living inside the government!

Civil War had it's moments but the whole accords, the whole reason for doing this movie, was written with major flaws. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movie still, but I think they made a mistake doing this movie, and bringing the accords in this early in the MCU right in the peak of it's expansion with more characters coming into the fold soon.

21. Guard82 Registered

Yes, you're right to think that way, but this was really the whole point of the story. Tony's guilt over everything that happened because of him creating Ultron definitely clouded his judgment in CW. He was so ashamed that not only did he regret his own mistakes, but he also became convinced that anybody else could repeat the mistakes he made, including the other Avengers. So his way of atoning, in his own mind, was to support the accords and get everyone else to support them as well so that they couldn't do what he did (provoke a disaster like the Ultron incident).

Exactly right. And the purpose of having this part in the movie was to show that the government had become irrationally paranoid about superheroes, which was meant to show that Steve's skepticism about the accords was justified and well-founded.

While we can debate how well the accords plot was used in the movie, the movie overall is a definite success IMO because it tells a good story involving complex, conflicted characters who all have their own interesting perspectives on the story's events.

22. samsnee Ok

Something I just noticed after rewatching. Cap and Bucky steal the Quinjet at the airport to go to Siberia. Before they get there, we see Stark have time to get bandages up, visit the prison where everyone was imprisoned (they must have been teleported there after the airport), and then fly to Siberia himself.

Cap and Bucky get there relatively only a little sooner than Tony. Did they take the extra long route?

23. 007 Registered

Are you having a laugh, hes probably the character in cbm's who has shown the most growth development.

24. 007 Registered

oh and the movie is not just good, its incredible and its easily the second best in the MCU.

25. BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

Phase 1 ended with Steve being 'stuck' in the present, latching on any chance to fight, and longing for Peggy.

None of that changed.

Like, I guess you could argue that he went from being a guy trying to do what was right to a guy who simply lived to fight. But I'm not sure you can call that "growth"

All that stuff about Cap becoming more anti-government sounds like projecting. In TWS he disapproved of Fury but still followed his orders, he didn't start opposing them until Fury told him not to trust them and then they started trying to kill him.

But at least the fight scenes are better now.

#725 BullMcGiveny, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017