Civil War The Official Captain America: Civil War TAGGED SPOILER Discussion Thread

Phase 1 ended with Steve being 'stuck' in the present, latching on any chance to fight, and longing for Peggy.

None of that changed.

Like, I guess you could argue that he went from being a guy trying to do what was right to a guy who simply lived to fight. But I'm not sure you can call that "growth"

All that stuff about Cap becoming more anti-government sounds like projecting. In TWS he disapproved of Fury but still followed his orders, he didn't start opposing them until Fury told him not to trust them and then they started trying to kill him.

But at least the fight scenes are better now.

Nah. Not sure which movies you were watching but at the end of Phase 1 he was still struggling to come to terms with everything that had happened to him, which is a given since what has happened to him has pretty much never happened to anyone ever before, not even in-universe with respect to the MCU. That, and the fact that he has to deal with shadowy Government organizations were both pretty well set up and it was very obvious character development there.

And in WS, it becomes even more obvious to him that in spite of Fury telling him all about SHIELD, it was still a very shadowy organization and the reveal of HYDRA infiltration was simply the last straw for him to start taking decisions on his own instead of simply following the chain of command. The conversation with Falcon in the Veterans' building set it up beautifully. And that leads in directly to everything he does both in AoU and CW. As I said, this is the most organic, effective, brilliant, believable and best character development across a trilogy (or 5 movies if you wanna count the event movies) for any CB based SH character ever. I would love to think what makes you think otherwise from any of these movies unless you had made up your mind to think this way before even watching these movies.

I don't know what movies you were watching because because Steve was brushing off the chain of command and making his own decision way back in The Avengers (finding out about Phase 2) and The First Avenger (attacking HYDRA on his own).

It wasn't anything new.

I don't know what movies you were watching because because Steve was brushing off the chain of command and making his own decision way back in The Avengers (finding out about Phase 2) and The First Avenger (attacking HYDRA on his own).

It wasn't anything new.

Yeah, I am sure he did not trust SHIELD or the Army after those decisions. I mean, its not like he went to work for them after the fact.. Oh wait. :whatever:

EDIT: His character development has basically been the equivalent of a giant tree growing out of seeds planted in TFA and watered in TWS and the 2 Avengers movies. Its what is called phased character development or growth that actually makes sense, not something someone randomly does in one movie. You seem to be arguing that it is development when a character does something different just for the sake of it being different, consistency and development be damned. I am not sure you really understand the term here.

Last edited:
EDIT: His character development has basically been the equivalent of a giant tree growing out of seeds planted in TFA and watered in TWS and the 2 Avengers movies. Its what is called phased character development or growth that actually makes sense, not something someone randomly does in one movie.

You seem to be arguing that it is development when a character does something different just for the sake of it being different, consistency and development be damned. I am not sure you really understand the term here.

'You disagree, so you must not comprehend' :whatever:

Character development is when the character change/grow in ways that make sense.

For there there to have been development, there had to be two fairly distinct versions of the character. You claim Steve started out as the little obedient soldier and changed into the edgy anti-government rebel.

But Steve never was the little obedient soldier.

He had a mile-wide independent streak all along. Him going AWOL wasn't about distrusting the army, but it is a pretty clear counterpoint to any claim that he was some pro-authority boy scout. As is him in The Avengers. Those examples were understated, but just because no one made a big deal about it doesn't mean it was some 'random' thing, or that it didn't mean anything.

In The Avengers, he said he wouldn't follow Fury's orders because he had blood on his hands. TWS had him go back on that, for no explained reason.

Basically, they had him take one step back, and then one step forward. That's the giant tree you're gushing about.

Last edited:
While we're here, can I point out something really quick?

SHIELD agents who weren't HYDRA to begin with were anti-HYDRA.
The World Security Council was anti-HYDRA.
The FBI show up in the end to arrest Gary Shandling in a decidedly anti-HYDRA display.

It really boiled down to Steve vs. HYDRA, which again is nothing new.

Last edited:
Why o' why couldn't they have given us an Abomination Easter egg with him somewhere in the Raft? Uggggh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"