First Avenger The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

Nothing unethical about it at all, WB just wanted to show their big movies coming out because they knew Potter would draw the big crowds.
It's not unethical but it's slimy and petty.
Do critics submit their reviews to RT or does RT seek them out? Or is it pretty much a combination of both?

It's not unethical but it's slimy and petty.
Do critics submit their reviews to RT or does RT seek them out? Or is it pretty much a combination of both?

You realize every studio does this?

Alright than the word shenanigans might be more appropriate.

Nothing unethical about it at all, WB just wanted to show their big movies coming out because they knew Potter would draw the big crowds. Besides its not like they didn't show Cap trailer at all they just wanted more press for Happy Feet 2. Also the theater itself, I'm pretty sure has a say in it because that's their revenue right there.

Perhaps, unethical was not the best choice of words, I will give you that. However, I was just trying to point out that I believe Warner Brothers is doing some things behind the scenes (that the general public is not privy to) in an attempt to insure that Harry Potter is #1 a second week in a row. I don't think it is going to work though, as I see #1 in Cap's future.:woot:

Surfer

Does what? Use whatever resources they have at their disposal to try and step on another movie's box office performance to further their own agenda?
Can you give me some other examples of this happening?
I'm sure it happens, I'm not naive enough to think that any large studio isn't capable of this level of *****ebaggery. Regardless, that doesn't make my original statement any less true.

Maybe, but Harry Potter was not an average movie. 90 Million on it's fist night alone do you know what kind of advertising that could have been for Cap., but instead they were selfish and did not want the competition, so they showed him at very few screenings in an attempt to squash an interst in seeing his movie with the general public. Rotten Tomatoes would be their other attempt at getting the audience members that are left disinterested in seeing the movie, by telling them that the movie is bad. Which pretty much just leaves the die hard fans that will see it no matter what. I got to hand it to them. I don't like it at all, but it is quite brilliant actually.

Surfer

Hey Godman where for art thou? Updated for your trollish self ....

imdtad.png

And...... back up to 71%.

Surfer

Time for me to go while the going is still good.

Surfer

Also, Puig finally gets props for ganking my headline, with the Salute and all.

This'll be a fun game. We're chasing down Superhero flicks on the meter. We're ahead of Hulk at 66%. Up next is Iron Man 2 at 74%, then Superman Returns at 76%, then Thor at 77%.

If it sits at 75%, I'll be extremely pleased. (for Metacritic and RT)

I think that some critics just don't get who Steve Rogers is and are expecting too deep of a movie. Considering that, anything over what it is now is fine with me.

Total Film - 3/5
http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/captain-america

The final piece of the Avengers jigsaw falls efficiently into place: decent acting, decent action, a few too many “we’re all heroes inside” platitudes. But it’s no star-spangled sick-maker, either.

Maybe, but Harry Potter was not an average movie. 90 Million on it's fist night alone do you know what kind of advertising that could have been for Cap., but instead they were selfish and did not want the competition, so they showed him at very few screenings in an attempt to squash an interst in seeing his movie with the general public. Rotten Tomatoes would be their other attempt at getting the audience members that are left disinterested in seeing the movie, by telling them that the movie is bad. Which pretty much just leaves the die hard fans that will see it no matter what. I got to hand it to them. I don't like it at all, but it is quite brilliant actually.

Surfer

If thats the case they probably should have focused on getting Green Lantern some good reviews. You're reaching a bit here.

I'm looking forward to seeing this film, it looks like a fun movie and its distinguised by the 1940's setting which really gives the film a unique look.

I still don't believe in the RT conspiracy. Cap is at 70%. Let's be happy that it is fresh :up:

Does what?

Every studio at one point or another will choose to show trailers for their movies coming up, it makes sense for Potter since so many people are going to go see it. They have no obligation to show the Cap one.

Surfer

Same as what I said to Flint Marko above. Also I just cannot agree with your logic that its selfish to show the Cap trailer at fewer screenings. Of course they want to repeat at #1 that's no secret. Besides whether that trailer was shown or not does not make or break Captain America, its irrelevant. As for the RT thing I do not buy since it cant be proven one way or the other.

Isn't it weird how this and Thor's RT scores have played out?

Thor started off extremely powerful (95%) and then lost most of his power (77%)

Captain America started off with nothing (33%) but never gives up (73% and counting)

If thats the case they probably should have focused on getting Green Lantern some good reviews. You're reaching a bit here.

I'm looking forward to seeing this film, it looks like a fun movie and its distinguised by the 1940's setting which really gives the film a unique look.

Unless RT personally writes the reviews for GL, I don't think they could've done anything to help this movie's Tomatometer.

73%! What does it need to be a Certified Fresh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"