The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by Thread Manager, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Surfer

Surfer Sentinel of the Spaceways

I thought the same thing. It is better this way though then the other way around because Top Critics will most likely reach a broader audience. Therefore their opinions have a greater chance of helping this movie make money.

Surfer

2. Surfer

I never said it was a conspiracy, I simply think it is one competing company using the resources it has to try and make sure its movie comes out ahead a second week in a row. If you read more into it then that I apologize.

Surfer

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

They give up logic a lot in Inception, but I'm not trying to start an argument so I'll just leave it at that. And besides, they're not trying to kill him, they're trying to capture him.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

You again? You'll only watch CBM's with an RT of 80% or better?

[​IMG]

5. Surfer

The movie should be starting in about 10 minutes for people on the east coast. So maybe we will get their opinions if lucky in a little over 2 hours. Provided of course they don't just crash when they get home.

Surfer

6. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

Seriously I dunno why Godman even bothers. His comments keep getting more foolish. "Why didn't they just roast him?" RUFFALOLZ ....

7. Gamma Burst

Gamma Burst Well-Known Member

LOL. Btw, Thor is great, and I bet Cap won't be different.

8. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Perhaps the guys with flamethrowers had orders from the Red Skull to capture Cap, not kill him. Not having seen the movie yet I can't say for sure, but that's what occurred to me. Realize that we see these clips without the necessary context to judge what is occurring.

9. Godman

Godman Well-Known Member

good debate, but as i recall in the clip they were shooting at him prior to those flame throwers. what logic in inception was broken within itself?

10. Godman

Godman Well-Known Member

agreed. i did think of that. i pray ur on the money, as that really bothered me as goofy

11. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Yeah man f*** the critics, Thor gets a 90% in my books

12. The Lizard

The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

This is an amazingly unpredictable film, with regard to many critic's reactions.
    eg: Owen Gleiberman, the Entertainment Weekly critic who leans quite liberal and avant-garde in his film tastes, loved the classic corniness and earnestness of the movie.
    Go figure.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  13. Khemik@L

[email protected] MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

We've seen this clip out of context. When you watch it within context of the rest of the movie especially what happens next it might make more sense. We shouldn't make full judgement from partial clips. But I do know what you mean though. As it stands alone it does look kind of silly but my guess is they wanted to trap him before some kindah "kill move"

14. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

15. The Lizard

The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

If you really want to know, the flamethrower soldiers just trap Cap so that [blackout]reinforcements can show up and hold him at gunpoint because the Skull wanted him captured[/blackout].

16. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

That's what I thought when I saw the clip. Makes perfect sense.

17. art vandalay

art vandalay Well-Known Member

I think thats the great thing about the "classic greatest generation" values that Cap seems to portray in the movie; whether your left wing or right wing or right down the middle, humility, sacrificing yourself for those in need, the willingness to keep getting up after being knocked down, genuine sincerity, you can't deny the goodness of those values.

And for what its worth pretty much every James Bond villain had bond dead to rights and he somehow slipped out every time. How? because it's a james bond movie. Although I think here its more a case of [BLACKOUT]the red skull wanting to use Steves body for his own, because skulls is all ****ed up. Didnt he try that in the comics?[/BLACKOUT]

18. Marvel

Marvel Well-Known Member

I can't blame them. If I ran RT, I would do the exact same thing for a Marvel film. In fact, I'd stick it to Cowboys and Aliens next week if I could. That's the nature of the beast and it appears to have been attempted in this case.

19. weezerspider

weezerspider Well-Known Member

It is entirely possible that they are not shooting to kill. Many times IRL soldiers who are trying to capture someone will shoot at their feet or limbs to stop them, but not kill them. AND
    Skull did want him alive
    It all works out in the film. You have no need to worry.

20. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

While I really like Inception (and saw it multiple times), and I don't want to turn this thread into an Inception debate, one of the things that always bothered me was that the top was not Cobb's, but his decreased wife Mal's totem (and Cobb specifically said that no one can use the same totem to Ariadne).

Anyway, glad to see Cap holding steady at RT so far. I hope it will get close to Thor's RT score.

21. Jay#1

Jay#1 Well-Known Member

I'm watching this later today!!

22. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

23. WildcatNC

WildcatNC I'm on a BOAT ***** !

The movie was epic, just got back. I loved it. Had a TON of heart for a CBM and Evans really sells a young Steve Rogers.

The movie, especially the ending, really moved me. The ending is one of the more genuinely emotional moments i've seen in a CBM. I really felt for and respected Cap.

Gotta get to bed but its a win guys, don't listen to any negative crap from joyless movie snobs. The movie is great.

If you don't think its great then your a communist and a terrorist. Night all.

24. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

To this point I still haven't read a single negative review that gives a clear or concise reason as to what would make this movie even a "70%" or lower movie.

I'm watching this on Tuesday most likely as sadly my work schedule has to take precedence.

25. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

We already know RT is manipulating the scores because of Harry Potter.

I talked to Kevin Feige and Louis D'Esposito today at the Marvel booth and I thought it was interesting they both read that story on CBM. I don't think they really buy it, but we had a fun discussion about it.

But still, people were kvetching about the low score earlier and it is already higher. I expect it to go up even more after this weekend.