First Avenger The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol it felt like alot more once the dude gets it it flies alot lol, and yes he beats up alot of guys :)

and there are about 3-4 major action scenes, and a montage of just action lol :D

So did Captain America only throw his shield 5 times through out the movie? I remember Joe Johnston saying that he would only throw his shield 5 x.

Secondly, does Cap beat up alot of guys?

Thirdly, how many action pieces are spread out through out the movie?
SAAD here you go. Spoiler tags for safety:

-I didn't count the number of shield throws but I was quite happy with what he did with his shield. Keep in mind he doesn't get the classic shield until later in the movie and he first has the retro, sort of trianguler shield.

-Cap beats up a ton of bad guys. He definitely has the skilled and dexterous form from the comics and is very capable and athletic in battle as well as clever.

-There is a good amount. The first big set piece is after Rogers goes through the super soldier serum experiment and its a nice chase scene. After that is the siege of HYDRA's base and the imprisoned soldiers rescue. After that we get a sequence of Captain America and the Commandoes hunting bad guys throughout the war. This basically a montage of numerous action sequences put together. After that is a sequence where Cap storms a HYDRA train. Next we get the invasion of th emain HYDRA base. This sort of finishes and we get the chase on Red Skull's bomber which has several different parts. The big finale isn't a big sprint to the finish like say Iron Man. More like it builds. There's also the intense sequence with Red Skull at the beginning so all together I'd say around 6-7 action sequences depending on your view.

I've never really gotten emotional from a comic book movie but the whole exchange between Peggy and Steve at the end made me all weird inside.

But...I had a date. :(

What, two sentences and positive?

I just got back from the midnight show. I'm not sure how I feel about the film yet. It definitely wasn't bad.

Off the top of my head, I like that it felt more like an older action movie. Probably a lot to do with the fact that Cap doesn't have any 'powers', it was nice to see tried and true 'guns and punching' in a CBM. Hugo Weaving was great, all of the humor landed.

I didn't like that we never are really told what Red Skull's motivations are. What's his plan, besides attacking American cities? Why America first? What's he going to to once he's finished?

I also feel like many of the action scenes weren't big enough. The situations are pretty awesome, the tone is certainly epic, but it seemed like the camera was always mid-to-close range. There wasn't a lot of breathing room.

I'll definitely be seeing it again. But at this point I'm neither disappointed nor blown away.

i feel the same way, not saying the movie was bad but i really did enjoy thor and xmen way more, weaving was underwhelming imo...die hard cap fans and die hard marvel fans might like this a bit more...as a comic film i give it a 7/10...not a masterpiece in anyway but a regular fun time at the movies

Stan Lee's cameo was funny too

I'd give the movie an 8/10. I thought of all the pre-Avengers Marvel films, Captain America was the best. Steve Rogers is easier to relate to than Tony, Thor, or Banner. This movie also contains the most heart with Steve and Peggy, who truly craft a believable romance and not just a stock love interest. Action scenes weren't groundbreaking by any stretch, but they worked. I wasn't really clear on what exactly it was Red Skull was trying to do though.

Red Skull was clearly just a straight up A HOLE with nothing but evil in his soul.

Had a good time.

Problems with some "cheese" at different spots. There was some dialog that made me cringe slightly.
"There's no time!" When Steve is going down with the plane.
That could have been almost anything but that line and it would sound less cliche/paint by numbers. The Red Skull dialog is very cliche-ridden.

At first, I was not buying the costume...but it grew on me as it went and I didn't even notice or think about it after a while.

Felt rushed at times. The same problem I'm seeing with so many comic book movies now....trying to tell too much story. That goes all the way back to Spidey 3 and includes The Dark Knight. This movie could have just not even bothered with Bucky and his story and focused on other things instead...like the Steve/Peggy story...that felt underdeveloped. They actually had to
wedge a first/final kiss in as Cap was about to jump onto the Red Skull's plane.
Not good. Not exactly sure why we needed the Comando guys other than to fulfill a comic requirement. They felt tacked on too.

The good is the acting. Every member of the cast nailed their roles. Tommy Lee Jones provided the best delivery of comic relief and Evans is likeable and earnest....though possibly not as convincing as "the ultimate leader" as I'd hoped for. Hugo Weaving disappeared into his role. Hayley Atwell is charismatic and gorgeous. One of the better female characters in any comic book movie. Tucci excelled as usual.

Some good action too. Cap's fighting skill was pretty fun to watch.

The special effect that made Evans look skinny was pretty incredible. I completely bought it. Plenty of CGI shots were on display and it was well done.

The after-credits scene got everyone in the theater excited. (Packed house by the way....more full than any of the other midnight CB movies this summer in my theater) Everyone was buzzing about it on the way out.

I'll say 6.5/10 for now. My second favorite CB movie of the summer after Thor. Good...but could have been better.

just saw... and i certainly dont agree with all these amazing reviews...

this movie was soo bland...

the first half had the most heart (but not too much, mostly 'weak men are more powerful' speeches)... as soon as he becomes cap america it really goes downhill for me.

there was absolutely nothing particularly super about captain america, his 'powers' were barely touched upon, and the action was very generic lol

a certain death scene felt completely insignificant (especially with the added blaring cheesy music)..

im extremely tired of those underground tunnel lairs from x2 fantastic four gi joe and all those other movies with uncreative set designers lol... and is it me or did red skull hire some reject gijoe henchmen? lol

not even sure if red skull had any powers...

not sure what the hell happened to red skull.. especially since that energon cube is never explained...

other than the skinny evans vfx shots... the cgi looked terrible. there were some awful backdrops throughout.. some were understandibly stylish (the theme park) but others were bad.

i get what they were trying to do.. and they did it, but for it to have been a great film they should've tried to add something more or special to make it more than just a throwback to good campy films.

6 out of 10... probably never watching it again tho, prefered Thor

Kick ass.

It's so refreshing to get a movie with zero cynicism, with no hipster irony, no post-modern deconstruction. This is 100% sincere, genuine. A movie with no qualms about having a firm moral center, that extols the virtues of being a good person.

And that shield was pretty badass too.

Although Captain America has potential, and great cinematography, the weakness to the film is what it is setting up for the future. With that said, it seems that was the movie's only main purpose.

This movie did it's purpose, but didn't take any risks, leading to the forgetfulness.

7/10

Ok question for you guys:

Am I reading too much into it or were they
seeding the Winter Soldier when Steve found Bucky tied up in Zola's lab? Was Zola experimenting on him for the Winter Soldier project? Was that what we (the fans) were supposed to assume?

kguillou:

It is possible that something was "done" to Bucky we would find about later that could lead to why Bucky survived despite his "death" in this movie.

I think if they make a sequel and we find out Bucky's fate it could refer to what you are suggesting. But until that happens it is only pure speculation ;) .

just came back. if you loved the Indy movies, the Rocketeer and love an old fashioned Action Adventure movie then they nailed it. they get almost everything right about Cap.

Evans NAILED it and brought such a refreshing humanity to the character.

the romance was subtle and not thrown at us, the Skull has a simple "destroy the world" scheme instead of some intricate plan that just loses you, the howling commandos were an awesome add on and the story was a classic story infused with sci fi/CB elements.

I'm glad that they showed that while Cap is the peak of human potential he really is a good man and a soldier that men will follow. my only complaint has to do with Bucky but other than that i was pleased to the very end. im still humming the main theme too.

easily a 9/10 and the best Marvel movie to date.

Kick ass.

It's so refreshing to get a movie with zero cynicism, with no hipster irony, no post-modern deconstruction. This is 100% sincere, genuine. A movie with no qualms about having a firm moral center, that extols the virtues of being a good person.

And that shield was pretty badass too.

Heck yes.
Best marvel film to date.
Loved the Indiana Jones-esque vibe to it.
10/10 :woot:

To the people who didn't understand the Red Skull's motivations, it's your standard "world domination" scheme. He was going to use the Cosmic Cube's power to destroy major cities from the world powers, like the United States and Germany. With no one left to oppose him, he would have free rein to demand the "worship" he believes he deserves as a super-human/demi-god.

My favorite comic film since The Dark Knight.

Just a thoroughly enjoyable film. I haven't felt that good coming out of a theatre in a loooong time. Earnest and unashamed of its comic-bookiness. I loved how, after he rips off his face-mask, Red Skull just walks through the whole rest of the movie confident in his crimson skin. He was a total pimp, right down to his sweet wheels. :word:

Not only was the tone and the subject matter Raiders-ish, so was the action. The punches hit hard and the gunshots fly with glee. And of course, propeller + man = wetness.

Just a blast. And the um...post credits "scene"...yeah, I'm gonna need to watch that again. Missed most of it due to myself and the rest of the audience shrieking in glee and fanning ourselves to prevent fainting.

Got a big old giant cheer for the credit cookie scene in my packed theater. Much bigger than Thor's, which was a decent amount, and more than Green Lantern, which was literally nothing. That was also the first time I've ever seen the entire audience stay for the credits. Literally no one in the sold out crowd left before that treat at the end. That was pretty nifty.

I'm still not even sure that the credit cookie got as big a response as The Dark Knight Rises trailer did. That was easily the most excited I've seen a crowd of people get for a trailer. 97% of those people had to have seen it online already, but they lost it anyway. That movie is going to be a box-office behemoth when it opens. Little old ladies will be pushing over children to get further ahead in line for the midnight screening. You deserve it, but enjoy it while it lasts, Potter. Batman is coming to annihilate you.

just saw... and i certainly dont agree with all these amazing reviews...

this movie was soo bland...

the first half had the most heart (but not too much, mostly 'weak men are more powerful' speeches)... as soon as he becomes cap america it really goes downhill for me.

there was absolutely nothing particularly super about captain america, his 'powers' were barely touched upon, and the action was very generic lol

a certain death scene felt completely insignificant (especially with the added blaring cheesy music)..

im extremely tired of those underground tunnel lairs from x2 fantastic four gi joe and all those other movies with uncreative set designers lol... and is it me or did red skull hire some reject gijoe henchmen? lol

not even sure if red skull had any powers...

not sure what the hell happened to red skull.. especially since that energon cube is never explained...

other than the skinny evans vfx shots... the cgi looked terrible. there were some awful backdrops throughout.. some were understandibly stylish (the theme park) but others were bad.

i get what they were trying to do.. and they did it, but for it to have been a great film they should've tried to add something more or special to make it more than just a throwback to good campy films.

6 out of 10... probably never watching it again tho, prefered Thor

i feel this way about thor, TIH, and captain america...bland is the word. yuk. id rather a movie just be horrible so i know whats up and we know we're getting a reboot, than BLAND smh

its so bland i almost hated it for that reason. there is no reason i EVER need to watch this again. lets not even get into plot hole heaven

My favorite comic film since The Dark Knight.

Just a thoroughly enjoyable film. I haven't felt that good coming out of a theatre in a loooong time. Earnest and unashamed of its comic-bookiness. I loved how, after he rips off his face-mask, Red Skull just walks through the whole rest of the movie confident in his crimson skin. He was a total pimp, right down to his sweet wheels. :word:

Not only was the tone and the subject matter Raiders-ish, so was the action. The punches hit hard and the gunshots fly with glee. And of course, propeller + man = wetness.

Just a blast. And the um...post credits "scene"...yeah, I'm gonna need to watch that again. Missed most of it due to myself and the rest of the audience shrieking in glee and fanning ourselves to prevent fainting.

um, kick-ass poops all over this blandness

i feel this way about thor, TIH, and captain america...bland is the word. yuk. id rather a movie just be horrible so i know whats up and we know we're getting a reboot, than BLAND smh

its so bland i almost hated it for that reason. there is no reason i EVER need to watch this again. lets not even get into plot hole heaven

If you felt that way about those films, then why did you even watch this one to begin with?

i just hate comic booky live action films...i watch the fiilm to watch the FILM and not a live action comic book. i hate movies that draw attention to the genre of what they have been adapted from. like how Doom had a FPS scene. smh

the blaring cheesy music and just corniness throughout killed me

i just hate comic booky live action films...i watch the fiilm to watch the FILM and not a live action comic book. i hate movies that draw attention to the genre of what they have been adapted from. like how Doom had a FPS scene. smh

the blaring cheesy music and just corniness throughout killed me

And yet you watched and supposedly enjoyed TDK which was based on a comic book film, containing comic book factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"