The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by Spider-Fan, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hatebox

hatebox Well-Known Member

2. Pittman4Two

Pittman4Two Well-Known Member

Saw the midnight showing.

First time I ever attended one before. Cool atmosphere.

Very good movie. I liked the noir-type setting it had with the heavy dose of spot lighting, US propoganda, etc.

The pacing of the film seemed rushed in the second half with:

Rogers returning with the soldiers, updating the suit a tad and then boom...all of the Hydra compounds are eliminated within 3 minutes of film-time. Glossed over action scened during that montage. Some of which I would have enjoyed a longer visit.

I did find it clever how they introduced the costume (at the USO tour) and they did acknowledge that he looked ridiculous at first therefore asking the average film viewer for a pass when they see this guy in real battle.

Chris Evans did a wonderful job in the role. Thought he was written well as the type of person you could see leading men into battle. He was witty and mature but not cheesy. In other words, it wasn't like Stallone's Judge Dredd was out there giving orders with hands on his hips.

Does anyone know what happened to Red Skull? I have not seen Thor but I did hear him mention something about Odin during the opening scenes of the movie so I figured he was "transported" to another dimension.

Speaking of Red Skull, he wasn't nearly as menacing or intimidating as I thought he would be. I was looking for someone that would exude Hitler's persona vicariously. Maybe that's just me and I need to see it again to confirm, but I thought Red Skull could've been more.

Stayed for the Avengers teaser. Couldn't hear anything because of the geeks acting like they have never seen those guys before. Anyone have a transcript? What did Tony Stark say to Thor? Did I see an updated Captain costume?

BTW, loved the credits themselves with them touching on all the WW2 propaganda posters we've all loved.

So in a nutshell, I'll give it a solid 8/10. Probably higher once I get some sleep after working all day today.

3. Triad

Triad Sofa King Suite!

Unfortunately, I don't believe we will will see anything like this. While live chatting online with Joe Johnston at Hero Complex last Tuesday, he was asked that same question. He said that the theatrical cut is essentially his cut. He said that there really aren't a lot of scenes that were filmed that didn't make it into the movie. I'm sure there will be something though. I can't see Marvel not giving the fans that purchase the DVD or Blu-Ray at least a little bonus, ya know?

4. Spider-ManHero12

Spider-ManHero12 Web-Slinger

Overall, I LOVEd the movie! From the story to the cast, it was just so much fun.

It had a comic book feel to it, whichi s fantastic, if you as kme./ Hugo Weaving did a phenomenal job as well! Loved ALL of the Cap scenes, and the humour in the movie top notch!

I'll write a full review later. :up:

9/10

5. Iron_Stark

Iron_Stark That's a one-off

I don't know how to do reviews, so all I'll say is I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to see it again.

6. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

Saw it at last night's midnight showing....loved it. It was the first movie I've been to since LOTR that people clapped at the end.

7. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

Saw it last night, loved it! But I yeah, it could of been at least a half hour longer. We know there are plenty of scenes not in the film, regardless of what Joe may say, because many of the trailer scenes were not in the film.

Anyone pick up on

Bucky... what were they experimenting with on Bucky? Is this what turns him into Winter Soldier?

So when Skull finally touched the cube, his thoughts seem to be that he wanted to be with the Gods, so the cube sent him exactly to that... I'm guessing he got sent to some other realm other than Asgard, maybe Hel?

I do with they would of shown at least a little bit of him training with throwing the shield... or at least Stark mentioning something about the shield's aero dynamic properties or something.

Love'd the Stark(Howard) Expo that Tony talked about in IM2. Great connection.

8. Surfer

Surfer Sentinel of the Spaceways

I am not going until Sunday night (because I always wait for my wife to see the initial showings at least), but my question is was the theater packed, sparse or somewhere in between for your midnight showings?

Surfer

9. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I loved everything about the movie as did my girlfriend. My only gripe would be that I wish they had spent some time showing Steve training post SSS with the shield and in hand to hand combat. All in all I feel it's just above Thor and just under Iron Man. I would've given it 8.5 but rounded it up to a 9. Hope it does well financially so we can get another solo.

I saw it in 2D and it was about 95% full but they also had 2 other screens showing it in 3D as well.

PS. I was surprised at the amount of violence and depiction of gore in a particular scene.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

Weaving has been so underused ever since the matrix, I hope I'm impressed with him in this.

11. Sabaoth

Sabaoth Master

OK. There were some CAMPY elements, but they did not draw away from the movie. They were able to pull it off.
    I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.
    When the cheese distracts it's a problem but that didn't happen here.
    Heh.
    The Avengers trailer at the end was a genius move, I'm sure the marketing dept will be rewarded handsomely.

12. Spider-ManHero12

Trust me, you REALLY will be. His portrayal of Red Skull kicks ass.

13. Stringer

Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Seems like from everyone who's seen it so far any complaints they have could have been fixed if they had just made the movie longer. I would have cut the ending part myself. Seemed unnecessary.

14. Spider-ManHero12

Which part of the ending? I thought it was great.

15. Stringer

Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Seemed forced to me. I think it would have been better for an after credits scene or the opening scene of the Avengers. To me, that's 3 more minutes we could have had for Bucky or the Howling Commandos.

16. peterparker0077

yeah, that scene in the movie's comics with Bucky and the Commandos would of been great on film.

17. peterparker0077

I'm thinking back, and I can't really remember any campy parts... help me out here.

18. Carlo Comicus

Carlo Comicus Well-Known Member

I have seen the movie! Great superhero movie with retro and vintage style. Perfect cast. Evans is awesome, is the heart of the movie. Hailey Atwell is the most powerful girl in Marvel Movies I have ever seen. Strong, sexy, wonderful character.

Tommy Lee Jones is great.

19. StarkTheProdigy

StarkTheProdigy Well-Known Member

I honestly think another half hour to this movie would have helped. It's not that it felt rushed, but it was fast and a lot of things were covered. As I said earlier, I almost believe that The Avengers is a curse to the marvel films. Did anyone else feel that Captain America's main purpose was to be made for the set up of the Avengers? It just would've been nice to see more of him, like maybe some epic war/battle scenes.

20. darkseid26

darkseid26 Well-Known Member

With every Marvel Studios film since Iron Man, I always left the theater thinking "that was cool, pretty good", and then the next day I have a "meh" feeling about the movie. It looks like Captain America has broken that curse (so far).

I really liked Captain America. It was a little campy, but in a good way. The acting all around was great, although I found myself not caring as much for the Red Skull storyline.

Captain America is one of the few superhero movies that doesn't have an anti-climatic third act.

I love the way they incorporated the references to Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor, without having it feel convoluted like IM2

Only complain was a little more Bucky and Hayley Atwell :hrt: and it felt a little rushed, but not to much.

Overall, 8.5/10 :up:

Also one of the best last lines ever.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  21. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

I thought it was fantastic. My favorite Marvel flick, dethroning the first Iron Man. Just a good ****ing time from beginning to end, had a smile on my face for 2 hours.

22. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

the theme was the only good part.

23. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff you are all diseased

Nothing about this movie is noir.

24. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Here is my review:

Captain America: The First Avenger serves as both a bookend to the lead-up to the upcoming Avengers film, as well as an introduction to the man who will likely be leading the squad. Iron Man and Thor both saw great success in their first outings, and you can add Captain America to that list as well. Much like Thor and Iron Man, Captain America has the same charm and wit that the audience has come to appreciate in it's Marvel Studios productions.

One area Captain America outperforms all other Marvel Studios films to date is cinematography. While Joe Johnston has a somewhat spotty record in regard to storytelling aspects of his films, he has always been able to provide great looking films. The sweeping landscapes, Hydra hideouts, and streets are all perfectly framed and stylized. Every shot is very active. The make-up and wardrobe also add to the retro feel the film is trying to accomplish. Captain America also makes you feel like the world is vast and that he was serving his country all around the world, while Thor at times felt limited given the low number of locations in both Earth and Asgard. The film's score also adds to that retro vibe, and brings out the emotion in the key emotional beats.

Captain America is also the fastest paced Marvel Studios film, but that is not really a problem. Thor took place over the course of essentially 2 days, Iron Man took place over the course of months, etc. Captain America's story (discounting the modern day scenes) takes place over years. More material had to be covered, and the faster pacing doesn't detract from the film in the character department. The only character who maybe suffers from lack of screentime is Bucky Barnes. I feel he had good material in the film, but I can see where people may say he needed a tad more screentime.

The film is complimented with great acting. Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci are great in their roles. Hayley Atwell is very charming and intriguing as Peggy Carter. She gives us a strong willed woman we can believe has the Captain's eye. Hugo Weaving also gives a great performance. While the Red Skull may not be as layered as Loki was in Thor, the Red Skull works perfectly as a foil to Captain America. While Captain America is more a classic “all good” hero, the Red Skull is a throwback to the old school “pure evil” villain. He shows little to no remorse for anyone, and views himself a god. I also apprectiate that they never go the clich√© route of trying to have him recruit Captain America to evil. He just wants to kill him!

Oh, you want to know about Chris Evans. Well, Chris Evans nails Steve Rogers. Period. This, for me, is a more difficult part to play than either Thor or Iron Man. Steve Rogers is a much more reserved man, and much of Cap's emotion doesn't come out in words or funny ways. He's much more understated than that, and he's a boyscout (unlike Stark and Thor), and this I feel makes him seemingly less sexy than those characters. But, Evans is able to bring out all the essential aspects of Steve Rogers in spades. You fall in love with him quickly and keep wanting more. I don't really want to get into how Hemms and Downey measure up to Evans. All their characters are different. I do think Evans will be able to stand in their presence and not get lost.

Now, the film doesn't resolve all the arcs or stories for the characters. In fact, it leaves pretty much all the fates of the key characters pretty ambiguous. Some may argue that makes it an incomplete film or just a glorified build-up for Avengers, but I disagree. Captain America is a unique superhero. He has two origins. This film was just about his first origin: becoming the super soldier in World War II. Avengers will showcase Cap's second origin: being a man out of his time. I didn't leave the theater angry so many loose ends were not tied up. I left the theater wanting to see how the story is continued from here. I think the decision to end it where they did worked very well.

The final piece of the pre-Avengers puzzle is in place for Marvel, and Captain America: The First Avenger doesn't disappoint. Captain America successfully captures the essence an era in action films, in the vein of Indiana Jones, while bringing its own charm to the table. While the character journey of Steve Rogers doesn't really conclude, all the necessary points of that journey are covered and it leaves you waiting for more, which is surely to come in Avengers and hopefully Captain America sequels. If there is justice in the universe, Captain America's journey won't end in Avengers films. It will end in seuqels.

5/5

25. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. I have loved all of Marvel Studios movies... but I felt like CA lacked a bit. Red Skull was bland to me, I really thought he could have been more intimidating. The first half was great, if albeit a little slow moving. The second half was all over the place.

I didn't hate it, I just didn't come away feeling wowed like I did Iron Man and Thor. I was absolutely smashed last night at the showing, so maybe that is part of it. Still, if I was wasted and it felt bland, that's a bit telling for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.