The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in no rush either. I rather wait until there is a known root method than update and hope the rootkeeper worked. the jump from ICS to JB isn't that great, not like GB to ICS. The only feature I know of that JB has is more options in the Notifications pull-down. I can manage without those.
This phone can definitely handle JB and there's already people saying that it seems to run a lot smoother than ICS. It hasn't even been a week since the update was released, so I can keep hitting the update later option if I choose.
Interesting about the 22 vs 23. Definitely more reason to hold off on the update.
There's a way to go back to ICS using a method with FXZ once a root option becomes available, so I might just do that.

There's a way to root the Bionic on JB. However, it can only be done on Linux (the instructions given are for Ubuntu, which I imagine would also work on Mint). If you don't have Ubuntu installed, you can run a LiveCD (basically running the OS without installing it on your hard drive) and perform the process. I've played around with Linux and the terminal, so I wouldn't have a problem doing this but if you never have before, it can be overwhelming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqsjNJntc4E
http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/16518-root-motoshare-2-old-bug-new-exploit/

I'm undecided if I'll try it or just wait for a .23 update

Has anyone tried Ubuntu Touch on their phone yet? :hmm

galaxy s4 in a few more days! been a long time coming for a new phone!

I read the Galaxy S4 Mini got delayed until July :csad:

Just ordered an HTC One a couple weeks ago after inadvertently killing my One X when it fell out of my pocket while taking a piss on holiday in Holland recently. Really made the rest of my trip much more difficult but that's another story.

Anyway looking forward to my phone hoping it arrives on time in a couple weeks. Got delayed in Oz again jeez!! But they say it was released today but I work away from home so no way of knowing til I fly back to town....

Hope you like it. From the reviews that I've read, the HTC One is a great phone: long battery, beautiful design, great camera. :up:

Hope you like it. From the reviews that I've read, the HTC One is a great phone: long battery, beautiful design, great camera. :up:
The biggest flaw is that it's missing the menu button, but XDA figured out how to make the HTC logo a capacitive button. That's so ****ing awesome. Kind of a deal breaker when that is what was created a clunky UI.

And now those problems will be gone.

the gs4 is superior to the one in almost every way except the front facing speakers, low-light photos, and the build materials.

i'm getting a metal case for the s4 anyway, so it'll look and feel absolutely sexy.

Ugh. So I dropped my droid razr maxx hd in a way that not only cracked the screen, but the screen doesn't even work anymore. I took it to Verizon. They said I don't have insurance on it and even though its still under warranty, this isn't covered. They recommended I take it to a particular business that fixes these problems. So I go there. The dude is looking up the parts necessary to fix it and says since its a newer phone model those parts aren't available yet and probably won't be for at least another 60 days. Wtf?

Typical Verzion BS. Did you by any chance purchase it with an American Express card? I know that you get an extra year warranty when you purchase things with it, they may have some other benefits you could take advantage of.

the gs4 is superior to the one in almost every way except the front facing speakers, low-light photos, and the build materials.

i'm getting a metal case for the s4 anyway, so it'll look and feel absolutely sexy.
I'm glad you like it. I look forward to toying with it in the store.
Ugh. So I dropped my droid razr maxx hd in a way that not only cracked the screen, but the screen doesn't even work anymore. I took it to Verizon. They said I don't have insurance on it and even though its still under warranty, this isn't covered. They recommended I take it to a particular business that fixes these problems. So I go there. The dude is looking up the parts necessary to fix it and says since its a newer phone model those parts aren't available yet and probably won't be for at least another 60 days. Wtf?
Damn...that sucks.

I would send it in to Motorola. I believe screen replacement is $100, which is what they would charge you if you had insurance. Unfortunately, cracked screens aren't something that's covered under warranty or insurance because it's user related, so you would end up having to pay regardless.

I called Motorola. I'm awaiting an email to tell me how to send it in. They may cover it because its under warranty and its the inner screen that's cracked, not the outer glass, which makes it seem more like a defect in the materials.

It's time to give you the 'talk' Motown, you know sometimes you need protection:

mot2-droid-razr-maxx-hd-20.jpg

http://www.otterbox.com/DROID-RAZR-...eries/mot2-droid-razr-maxx-hd,default,pd.html

I was going to recommend Amazon since most Otterbox cases sell cheaper there. :up:

despite the protection they provide, otterbox cases are so ugly. even their slimmest one is huge. i really never felt the need to protect my phone to that extent.

the thing is, it literally dropped like 6". it just happened to drop the right way. i've never had a problem with dropping my phone to the point where the screen breaks. i mean, the bezel gets nicked up over time, but whatever thats expected.

I've had and loved the black/grey Belkin Grip Candy cases for my iPhone 4 and now iPhone 5. 2.5 years with the 4 case and now issues. Slick for in/out of pockets, but rubbery for protection.

the thing is, it literally dropped like 6". it just happened to drop the right way. i've never had a problem with dropping my phone to the point where the screen breaks. i mean, the bezel gets nicked up over time, but whatever thats expected.
That's all it takes really. I like cases for the extra grip more than the protection. I hated that the Bionic was fat in the camera area, but thin for the rest of the phone. I was already planning on getting the extended battery, so the case with kick stand was bonus. :woot:

Last edited:
the s4 is incredible. screen is stunning, useful features, extremely quick. camera is awesome.

disable bloatware and throw a launcher on...wow. just incredible. the phone is actually really quite sexy, too. i played around with the htc one at the store before i picked up the s4; feels solid but i much prefer the s4.

battery life is also surprisingly good for a phone featuring such a powerful processor and a 5 inch full hd screen.

But-but the cheap plastic and LAG. :p

Nah, good for you what color did you get, Black Mist or White Frost?

Damn...that sucks.

I would send it in to Motorola. I believe screen replacement is $100, which is what they would charge you if you had insurance. Unfortunately, cracked screens aren't something that's covered under warranty or insurance because it's user related, so you would end up having to pay regardless.

I called Motorola. I'm awaiting an email to tell me how to send it in. They may cover it because its under warranty and its the inner screen that's cracked, not the outer glass, which makes it seem more like a defect in the materials.

I thought the new razr had a kevlar backing or something that stopped the front from ever cracking?

I was originally going to pickup a GS4 without hesitation but when I found that the phone was going to be similar to the predecessor but with a bigger screen and all these gimmicks that people aren't really going to use, so I convinced myself to go for the One instead. It was the front faced speakers which had me at hello pretty much plus I prefer the Sense interface over the Touchwiz any day of the week.

That being said I'll still take a Galaxy over an iPhone - PERIOD! :)

Can't believe I didn't notice that the Nexus 4 (as well as Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7) don't have microSD card slots. That's kinda of a deal breaker for me even though I have 10GB of ~15GB free on my phone now.

Was anyone else adamant on having one but then got used to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"