The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 2

Rumor has it, the 13 will have no charging port. It will only have wireless charging and Bluetooth connectivity. Apple will have completed its mission to eliminate all ports from their devices requiring their users to use expensive accessories.

My next phone is probably going to be a Samsung as Nokia hasn't done anything exciting since the Nokia 9 Pureview flopped so hard, Surface Duo was a software disaster upon launch, and Google's Pixel 4 XL was a dud. The iPhone 12 is enticing since I love that design language from the iPhone 5, but ultimately it's still Apple which means my Galaxy Watch and Buds won't work with it. :( I just hope they find a better design for the cameras in the S22.

I hadn't heard about the ports being eliminated. I did hear it would "support" wireless charging, which could be code for that. As for expensive accessories, if you're buying Apple's S***, you've already forked out a lot of money. I've got Bluetooth earbuds (skullcandy) which were fairly inexpensive, but are surprisingly nice.

The thing about waiting is that if I decide I don't like the new model, I can buy what's on the market now at, probably, a somewhat reduced price (but knowing Apple, that's not a given). My 8 will work okay for a few more months. I've been thinking about a watch (again, Apple charges a premium) as a iphone accessory, but my wife bought me a Rolex when we first got together as a present and I (evidently) send enough wrong messages as it is.....

Do people still use the software button?

Rumor has it, the 13 will have no charging port. It will only have wireless charging and Bluetooth connectivity. Apple will have completed its mission to eliminate all ports from their devices requiring their users to use expensive accessories.

i really hope not but i wouldn't be surprised at this point

Anyone bought those new flip phones? Samsung has few models and they are so damn eXpensive.

That Huawei Mate 40 is amazing.

huawei-mate40-pro-plus-1.jpg
Just learned that those selfie cameras contain infrared and TOF sensors for Huawei's version of Face ID, and going by the reviews of the Mate 20 Pro to this one. It is on par with Apple's.

Makes you wonder why Apple continues with the notch.

Ugh I almost bought the Huawei Mate 40 Pro even though I heard it's hard to sideload the Play Store and services to it. I mean I figured I could do it the same way I did for my Amazon Fire tablet.

What ****ing monster has their apps in a grid on a smartwatch?!? Samsung better have brought over the circular interface for the app drawer over to Wear OS.

I was going to get the new IPhone, but changed my mind at the last minute. AT&T has this weird trade in policy. Essentially, you don't know what you're going to pay for a phone if you have a trade in until it is sent to the factory and evaluated. Even then, they said it would take 2-3 billing cycles to get back to me about it. I would think you should be able to bring it into a shop, have it checked out, and then buy what you want minus whatever credit they are going to give you.

Can you imagine buying a car and the dealer says "After you buy this car, we'll send your used car in for evaluation, and get back to you in 2-3 months so you'll know what kind of credit we can get you."

I was going to get the new IPhone, but changed my mind at the last minute. AT&T has this weird trade in policy. Essentially, you don't know what you're going to pay for a phone if you have a trade in until it is sent to the factory and evaluated. Even then, they said it would take 2-3 billing cycles to get back to me about it. I would think you should be able to bring it into a shop, have it checked out, and then buy what you want minus whatever credit they are going to give you.

Can you imagine buying a car and the dealer says "After you buy this car, we'll send your used car in for evaluation, and get back to you in 2-3 months so you'll know what kind of credit we can get you."
why not trade it in elsewhre like Best Buy or Apple?

New iPhone 13 Pro is awesome. I wouldn't usually day this, but the camera update/improvement alone is worth the upgrade.

New iPhone 13 Pro is awesome. I wouldn't usually day this, but the camera update/improvement alone is worth the upgrade.
That's the one I was thinking of getting. Not the Max. It's plenty big and the other is only .6 inches bigger. If I go in, I can at least check it out before deciding.

Yeah, I just ordered the 13 Pro Max (seems like better battery life too) and more friends and family are interested than usual.

I am waiting on the iPhone 14 Pro personally, cannot stand the following: the fingerprint magnet stainless steel band around the phone, the camera bump, and the notch (didn't mind it initially but to think that Apple is the lone OEM that still has a notch is wild). All of which will be addressed next year when they go for an iPhone 4 design influence:
iphone_14_bonus_6@0.5x-2048x1151.jpg

iphone_14_press_1@0.5x-2048x1151.jpg

Titanium band, punch-hole front-facing camera, flat iPhone 4 glass back, the return of the circular buttons from the 4.

I am waiting on the iPhone 14 Pro personally, cannot stand the following: the fingerprint magnet stainless steel band around the phone, the camera bump, and the notch (didn't mind it initially but to think that Apple is the lone OEM that still has a notch is wild). All of which will be addressed next year when they go for an iPhone 4 design influence:

Titanium band, punch-hole front-facing camera, flat iPhone 4 glass back, the return of the circular buttons from the 4.

None of those things really bother me. I always get a case because my phones have a tendency to fall on the floor.

Are you "sure" these issues are being "fixed"? Apple is usually pretty tight lipped when it comes to releasing info.

What's sad is Samsung is already playing with the under-display camera, so it will probably be on the new Galaxy phones next year.

I'm going to hold off getting a new phone. New releases are a pain and when it comes to phones, Apple seems to have the attitude that they will honor you with the opportunity to buy a really expensive phone.

None of those things really bother me. I always get a case because my phones have a tendency to fall on the floor.

Are you "sure" these issues are being "fixed"? Apple is usually pretty tight lipped when it comes to releasing info.
They didn't bother me initially, because I stuck to getting Apple's cases but I usually never get a case on my phone. Seems like Apple finally realized people prefer thicker phones if that means better battery life as the last couple of iPhones have gotten thicker and addressed battery life. The notch didn't bother me initially issue, it just annoys me that every OEM has figured out something better and Apple hasn't implemented anything new yet.

But yeah, some pretty darn reliable leakers with solid sources shared that leak on the 8th or so and got it trending on Twitter ahead of the 13 announcement, so I think it's fairly safe to say this is what they are working towards for next year. The renders were based on actual device images shared from their source.

What's sad is Samsung is already playing with the under-display camera, so it will probably be on the new Galaxy phones next year.
Samsung is already implementing them, their new Fold 3 has it
210830143935-16-galaxy-z-fold-3-review-underscored.jpg

Worth noting that every OEM that has implemented an under-display camera struggles with a discoloration/gloominess issue, even Samsung. They are trying to use software optimization to fix it, but that can only do so much. We'll see, I honestly think out of all of these solutions for an all-screen design, the pop-up camera has impressed me the most: More Secure, No Distortion, Minimal to no hardware failure reported in most long term reviews
OnePlus-7-pro_Front-Camera-1200%C3%979002-1024x768.jpg

Hopefully, they can continue to work on the under-display camera tech. I just don't think it's entirely there yet and I think you'll have limitations to the overall quality of the photos taken with that type of tech but we'll see

I personally use the Surface Duo and have just recently preordered the Surface Duo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"