The Official Choose A Director Thread

The Sage said:
I'd use the concept the same way the old Bond franchise did in the sense that the story would just be another chapter and that it isn't required for you to see the other movies. Sort of like Goldeneye.

wait, I misread. I'm not a bond fan so I don't know much about his movies. I guess he's a very episodic character rather than continuous. I never understand why some want the continuity to be messy and confusing. Well supes as an episodic character can be done, I guess, like on his tv show from the 50s (I assume there wasn't a continuity beyond the origin episodes.) and of course the super friends. My issue with that would be how much of it can appear to be a sequel to a previous film and how much will simply be a new episode in his new adventure.

Like take begins for example. After seeing it, I tried to find ways it could really be a prequel to 89 you know... but it didn't work. It really just isn't.

Now what would happen if every supes movie singer makes is a vague sequel that only uses bits and parts of the movie it's playing as a sequel to. Same actors and all, but suddenly crazy stuff is introduced that just comes out of no where. This, to me would be confusing. Judging by x2, singer won't do this of course.

The only films that really uses the vague sequel idea a lot are b-movies, I think.

Venom71 said:
You are the one that said the Reeve version of Superman is outdated..I would think that would mean the suit also and just so you know...I voted :super:

It's an costume made during the 70s. what do you think? Now go away, you always cause trouble for me...

Wesyeed said:
It's an costume made during the 70s. what do you think? Now go away, you always cause trouble for me...
Ahhh that makes me sad :csad:

Venom71 said:
Ahhh that makes me sad :csad:

yeah right...

hey. Did you get that lego star wars game? I heard it was pretty good.

Wesyeed said:
yeah right...

hey. Did you get that lego star wars game? I heard it was pretty good.
No not yet...I would like to have it though...I did pick up the new set of the Original Trilogy yesterday. So I beleive I now have 2 sets of DVDs of the original trilogy and also at least one set on VHS. But one of my sets of DVDs my cousin has and has had for over a year..it is the set that came out in 04.

meh it's good that it's out on dvd now, but still I'd say it's a waste of mone to get it now. I'll wait to buy the originals in better quality than they're presented on these new dvds.

The Sage said:
I'd use the concept the same way the old Bond franchise did in the sense that the story would just be another chapter and that it isn't required for you to see the other movies. Sort of like Goldeneye.
If there had been a couple of Superman movies made betwen Reeve's last one and this one...then I think that way would have worked. But since so much time was between them....I feel a renewal of the storyline was needed.

kakarot069 said:
you mean like a restart?
Yep. With so much time between the Superman movies...this should have been a whole new take on it...no connection to the Donner or Reeve films.

C. Lee said:
Yep. With so much time between the Superman movies...this should have been a whole new take on it...no connection to the Donner or Reeve films.
yeah, that would of been nice to see... but what about story wise?... would a villain suffice, or a villainless movie and just Luthor?

kakarot069 said:
yeah, that would of been nice to see... but what about story wise?... would a villain suffice, or a villainless movie and just Luthor?
There should have been a villian...with more than human abilities...and Lex needed to be in it too, as the billionaire corporate genius manipulating events behind the scenes in his plans to rule the world.

Wesyeed said:
Just superman from donners movie, or all the landgrabbing wig wearing, otis, teschmacher and stuff?
Just the Superman from his movies. The sincere, nice, etc... gentleman. The Superman from the comics doesn't have the same righteousness that the Donner and, to a somewhat lesser extendt, the Superman Returns Superman had.

I couldn't care less about the campy Lex Luthor, re-used plots and goofy scenarios. Just give me the Superman I love and have him save people.

That's basically what Superman Returns was, but it wasn't quite the homerun I wanted it to be.

this isn't even a fair poll. Who in their right mind in a superman message board would pick Donner (regardless of how good STM is) over the rich history of superman?

(oh wait, i forgot about singer...oops)

M.O.Steel said:
this isn't even a fair poll. Who in their right mind in a superman message board would pick Donner (regardless of how good STM is) over the rich history of superman?

(oh wait, i forgot about singer...oops)

lol!! oops.

Hello friends. The topic for today will be about what you'd like the director to watch or read to get ideas for the sequel.

What episodes of a cartoon or tv show episode is so fascinating, that it deserves some consideration? Any comics you can suggest too?

Here's mine:

I just watched the metallo episode of superman TAS and I think it's a great episode showing luthor's manipulativeness and Corben's inner struggle with his loss of humanity, how it drives him insane. That'd be great to see.

Then I watched an episode with brainiac. This was definitely a missed oportunity for SR because supes could have found brainiac in space and learned about his past and everything like in this episode and really have a conflict about destroying brainiac and his legacy at the same time or using brainiac to get more information about his people etc. And revealing brainiac as being partly responsible for krypton's destruction was cool. That'd have been great too.

From the comics, I'd take the idea of superman being cloned. I can't remember what issue or anything. I just know he was at some point.:yay:

How about you?

I'm not even going to read what you posted, no offense. This thread will likely contain the generic answer of doing everything like STAS.

Well usually instead of being a troll and posting that I would not like to participate in a discussion, I just don't click on the thread and continue my life doing what I intended to do, which is not participate since I'm not a troller.:hyper: :yay: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Well for reference purposes , i'd actually not make then watch STAS but rather anime movies of people flying. Stuff like DBZ ( tv series plus movies) , X and so forth

There's is a fluidity that those characters have and not only that , it's incredibly graceful.
I know that they way they shot superman flying was 1) either brandon in waires , 2) brandon in the custom built rig , 3) mocap sessions for CG superman.
No doubt that if they are going to ramp up the action , they're just going to go with full on animation which just can't be mocapped. For that reason i think the animators as well as the directors could really benefit from watching those anime series and movies.

Storywise , you're obviously left with the comics . S:TAS is based around the comics right :huh: , so i don't really see why you need to watch S:TAS unless you want to see just how the action scenes play out.
I'd love to see the Doomsday Wars graphic novel being used.

The Twilight of the Gods episode of JL can be a pretty good source of ideas.

COMICS singer should read:
For the man who has everything-Alan moore
Superman:Man of Steel -John Bryne
Whatever happened to the man of Tommorrow-Alan Moore
Kingdom Come

TV:
watch Superman the animated series [all of it]
Watch the first 2 seasons of Lois and Clark
watch some stuff from George Reeves superman

If singer can borrow elements from all these sources, he can create a great sequel which pays homage to every incarnation of superman[save for smallville].

I haven't really read many of the Superman comics, (Yes, I'll admit to it) but I have seen the animated series, which initially got me hooked on the character.

From my understanding of the character and his history, S:TAS was a pretty accurate adaptation of the comicbook hero. There were really great elements that really made the show a classic. Whether they were storylines or character relationships, S:TAS was sophisticated and cool, yet child friendly.

Here's what I would like to see in a Superman Returns sequel:

- Make Clark like he was in S:TAS. In the series, he had some quirks, but he
wasn't anything like Christopher Reeves' interpertation. Clark was a quiet
guy and blended in, but he was normal. Not geeky and certainly no "swell"
in his vocab. I mean, come on, this is 2006 (the sequel will be in 2009).
That might have worked in the 70's, but times have drastically changed
and no one talks like that anymore.

- Give Lois more of a punch. I loved the human/maternal side shown in
Superman Returns, but I want to see the fiery reporter that I fell in love
with on the series. I want to actually see her, you know, reporting.
Maybe put Luthor on the spot like she did continually on the television
show. Or have her constantly competing with Clark to get top spot. I'm
sick of Jason going where ever she goes. GET A BABYSITTER!

- Lex Luthor. This is a tough one. While I would love to say, GIVE HIM
LEXCORP, I don't know if that's a possibility anymore. I mean, he is a
convicted criminal with serious felonies under his belt. No way in hell would
the government allow Luthor to become such a serious mogul (especially
one who's bascially in control of Metropolis city). But perhaps, Lois could
make a comment on how the government keeps a close eye on him, but
they never act; mainly because Luthor's got some of the greatest art-of-
war technologies being developed. (So, basically, it could be explained
that the government and Luthor have reached some sort of agreement).

- Make Jimmy more like a 20-something year old just out of college, living in
a major city. No 20 year old is going to be wearing a bow-tie or saying
"Mr. Kent". If the two are really friends, Jimmy would call him Clark. I think
his S:TAS adaptation was accurate, while still quirky (as true to his iconic
personality).

Since when did making an original motion picture mean just copying other people's work? I mean, isn't that just a fanscript?

No, it's called an adaptation.

We all know singer plans to use wrath of khan as a template or whatever.

Give him other films to draw inspiration from. Come on! Let's help him!

BoBByJoMo said:
I haven't really read many of the Superman comics, (Yes, I'll admit to it) but I have seen the animated series, which initially got me hooked on the character.

From my understanding of the character and his history, S:TAS was a pretty accurate adaptation of the comicbook hero. There were really great elements that really made the show a classic. Whether they were storylines or character relationships, S:TAS was sophisticated and cool, yet child friendly.

Here's what I would like to see in a Superman Returns sequel:

- Make Clark like he was in S:TAS. In the series, he had some quirks, but he
wasn't anything like Christopher Reeves' interpertation. Clark was a quiet
guy and blended in, but he was normal. Not geeky and certainly no "swell"
in his vocab. I mean, come on, this is 2006 (the sequel will be in 2009).
That might have worked in the 70's, but times have drastically changed
and no one talks like that anymore.

- Give Lois more of a punch. I loved the human/maternal side shown in
Superman Returns, but I want to see the fiery reporter that I fell in love
with on the series. I want to actually see her, you know, reporting.
Maybe put Luthor on the spot like she did continually on the television
show. Or have her constantly competing with Clark to get top spot. I'm
sick of Jason going where ever she goes. GET A BABYSITTER!

- Lex Luthor. This is a tough one. While I would love to say, GIVE HIM
LEXCORP, I don't know if that's a possibility anymore. I mean, he is a
convicted criminal with serious felonies under his belt. No way in hell would
the government allow Luthor to become such a serious mogul (especially
one who's bascially in control of Metropolis city). But perhaps, Lois could
make a comment on how the government keeps a close eye on him, but
they never act; mainly because Luthor's got some of the greatest art-of-
war technologies being developed. (So, basically, it could be explained
that the government and Luthor have reached some sort of agreement).

- Make Jimmy more like a 20-something year old just out of college, living in
a major city. No 20 year old is going to be wearing a bow-tie or saying
"Mr. Kent". If the two are really friends, Jimmy would call him Clark. I think
his S:TAS adaptation was accurate, while still quirky (as true to his iconic
personality).

Nice. :ninja:

I definitely like the ideas for Jimmy. He was too goofy in Returns. Tone it down, make him a little smarter.:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"