The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because we don't mind him not having trunks doesn't mean a person is ashamed of Superman and what he wears.

I guess, fair enough... I think it's just fascinating that lifelong fans of such a visual character can hardly bat an eye at the idea of getting rid of parts of the design that have been a staple since the character's inception. All the power to you I suppose.

Well yeah... I mean for god's sake, it's Superman, he's been wearing the trunks on the outside for a long damn time... you become a fan as a kid because of the bright colors, the powers, the morality lessons and the cool action... it's all one package and you don't really question it, you just love it. I'm asking at what point does a Superman fan start becoming of ashamed of this element or that element realizing how fantastical it is and want to start changing things. Maybe the problem isn't Superman, maybe... you've just outgrown it?
You're right that I became a fan because of the total package (definitely no pun intended) and not because of any one partiular element. I like the cartoons as a kid just like I liked the Reeve movies. Both were substantially different versions of the same package. This is yet another iteration of the same package, one with a modern twist, which is long overdue.

But it just doesn't.... honestly, chris reeve still looks the most like superman, I don't care what today's society's fashion trends dictate. I'm a flaming liberal, and I strive to be uber-empathetic...but I simply can't get my head around how anyone being truly honest with themselves would think that this new suit looks good or inspires a feeling of "Superman." It looks like what some 15 year old with self esteem issues would design after being bullied about liking Superman. Just try to let yourself not care that other people think undies on superman look stupid and maybe you'll realize you'll like how Superman has looked all along. I simply can't digest how people can be so absorbed about what others think and allow classic americana to slowly be destroyed by cynicism, shame, and aimless postmodernism.
I genuinely laughed out loud because this was not unlike how I've heard a couple conservatives talk about another touchy subject.

Nobody's ashamed of Superman.

TBH, I've always been fine with his underwear and Batman's underwear. Never bothered me one bit. In fact, when I saw anything without their underwear, I hated it. That was long ago however.

Just cause some of us don't prefer being stuck in the past, and approve the changes both DC and WB have made to the characters, costume, etc, it doesn't make us any less fans of the original source.

I guess, fair enough... I think it's just fascinating that lifelong fans of such a visual character can hardly bat an eye at the idea of getting rid of parts of the design that have been a staple since the character's inception. All the power to you I suppose.
And I find it fascinating (or disturbing) that someone can base their appeal to a character on his underwear, as if that's all there is to the character and without them it's somehow not the same character. That's downright bizarre to me.

You're right that I became a fan because of the total package (definitely no pun intended) and not because of any one partiular element. I like the cartoons as a kid just like I liked the Reeve movies. Both were substantially different versions of the same package. This is yet another iteration of the same package, one with a modern twist, which is long overdue.

Okay well I think I'm getting to the heart of it at least with one fan lol.. here's the thing... I get what you're saying but I don't buy into the whole modern twist argument simply because today's modernity is tomorrow's outdated, especially when it comes to fashion trends. you thought the reeve movies were substantially different from the cartoons? I'm curious what you thought was so different

Honestly, in this situation, I'm a bit insulted by some of these opinions that anyone who could be OK with this new movie costume is somehow a lesser fan or more deluded than the rest.

And I find it fascinating (or disturbing) that someone can base their appeal to a character on his underwear, as if that's all there is to the character and without them it's somehow not the same character. That's downright bizarre to me.

You're mischaracterizing my argument. I'm framing my position by saying the loss of the trunks is the start of a trend.

A trend that started in comics a long time ago. Superman is just finally starting to catch up.

Honestly, in this situation, I'm a bit insulted by some of these opinions that anyone who could be OK with this new movie costume is somehow a lesser fan or more deluded than the rest.

No insult intended. I'm saying that every time I try and like this new suit, it feels like I'm censoring the image in my mind I've been a fan of for years. It's hard for me to swallow a change like this, especially because it was made purely for fashion trend reasons. Now thats just me. What I'm asking is how others can reconcile the changes in their own minds and totally be okay with it. I mean it seems that when it comes down to it, it really just doesn't bother some people. And naturally, as a fan, I find that interesting and want to know why

You're mischaracterizing my argument. I'm framing my position by saying the loss of the trunks is the start of a trend.
Did you ever consider a molehill is just a molehill, and not a mountain?

Did you ever consider a molehill is just a molehill, and not a mountain?

I don't get it. They're all molehills, it's just a comic book character and this is a discussion board for a comic book character. Superman's going through a modernist trend right now, isn't he?

No insult intended. I'm saying that every time I try and like this new suit, it feels like I'm censoring the image in my mind I've been a fan of for years.
By accepting a movie suit and a current comic suit that will be redesigned agin in the future? :huh:
It's hard for me to swallow a change like this, especially because it was made purely for fashion trend reasons. Now thats just me. What I'm asking is how others can reconcile the changes in their own minds and totally be okay with it. I mean it seems that when it comes down to it, it really just doesn't bother some people. And naturally, as a fan, I find that interesting and want to know why
Because it's not a big deal.

By accepting a movie suit and a current comic suit that will be redesigned agin in the future? :huh:

Because it's not a big deal.

Well... yeah. Can't deny this is the biggest change to superman's suit that's ever been injected into mainstream media in this way. A Superman that's constantly redesigned according to modern fashion trends? Meh, I mean whatever, fair enough, but you can't fault a fan for wanting Superman to look the way he's looked since forever.

I don't get it. They're all molehills, it's just a comic book character and this is a discussion board for a comic book character. Superman's going through a modernist trend right now, isn't he?
With the clearly retro inspired designs present in the movie costume, and Morrison's callback to the Golden Age Superman with the upcoming reboot....no. I'd hardly call that modernist. If anything he's going to back to his roots.

With me personally, I love old things, and I love new things.

If a new interpretation of something comes along, and I don't like it, then I don't like it. However, I always AT LEAST give it a fair chance to prove itself. I open my mind to new things.

In life, its very rare for new things to beat the original, thats a fact.

I could have easily been like some back in 2008 and go
"Joker's wearing make-up, I'm not going to see this movie", if not for the true fact of me personally being open-minded.

I'm fine with no trucks Supes being in the movie, cause thats he will be come September. I'm fine with the relaunch, cause I'm excited by the future.

With the clearly retro inspired designs present in the movie costume, and Morrison's callback to the Golden Age Superman with the upcoming reboot....no. I'd hardly call that modernist. If anything he's going to back to his roots.

If that were true then wouldn't there be no problem with the trunks?

I'm really very curious to know more about the people who wanted the trunks gone. I simply can't think of Superman without trunks, or the yellow S on the cape for that matter. The image is just too engrained in me going back to when I was a kid. I mean... it's superman... someone please explain the mentality

I've never liked the trunks. Ever. On any superhero. I know they're used to break up the shirt and pants sections of the suit, but I think there are more creative ways to go do. To me, it's always looked like they were wearing their underwear over their pants.

Well... yeah. Can't deny this is the biggest change to superman's suit that's ever been injected into mainstream media in this way.
Smallville disagrees.
A Superman that's constantly redesigned according to modern fashion trends? Meh, I mean whatever, fair enough, but you can't fault a fan for wanting Superman to look the way he's looked since forever.
It's not a redesign based off fashion trends, I still don't know where this mindset came from. Super heroes have been redesigned from underwear over leggings for a long time now in comics.

And I'm not faulting you for wanting you to have a Superman that looks like he usually does, but in no way has he looked one certain way "forever" and that's whats annoying.

...but I don't buy into the whole modern twist argument simply because today's modernity is tomorrow's outdated, especially when it comes to fashion trends.

If wearing trunks on the outside of tights was an established “fashion trend” and if moving away from this normalcy was radically avant-garde… you might have a point. :cwink:

But it just doesn't.... honestly, chris reeve still looks the most like superman, I don't care what today's society's fashion trends dictate. I'm a flaming liberal, and I strive to be uber-empathetic...but I simply can't get my head around how anyone being truly honest with themselves would think that this new suit looks good or inspires a feeling of "Superman." It looks like what some 15 year old with self esteem issues would design after being bullied about liking Superman. Just try to let yourself not care that other people think undies on superman look stupid and maybe you'll realize you'll like how Superman has looked all along. I simply can't digest how people can be so absorbed about what others think and allow classic americana to slowly be destroyed by cynicism, shame, and aimless postmodernism.

:applaud

Well yeah... I mean for god's sake, it's Superman, he's been wearing the trunks on the outside for a long damn time... you become a fan as a kid because of the bright colors, the powers, the morality lessons and the cool action... it's all one package and you don't really question it, you just love it. I'm asking at what point does a Superman fan start becoming of ashamed of this element or that element realizing how fantastical it is and want to start changing things. Maybe the problem isn't Superman, maybe... you've just outgrown it?

This is the heart of the problem. And because comics have been aimed at older readers for so long, there are no new kids growing into Superman, which was the case before. Some people grow out of classic Superman, some never do because it takes them back. What is the problem with Superman-and comics in general-is because they don't attract new kids to replace the old kids who grow out of it. Star Wars, for all the real and perceived flaws of the prequels, is still huge with kids because it has kept it's focus on them, not the now 40-something fans from 1977 who wanted the prequels to be nothing but 3 movies of Vader chopping up Jedis.

Just like EVERY OTHER comics character.

Superman should be unique. Instead, he's just a face in the crowd.

Just like EVERY OTHER comics character.

Superman should be unique. Instead, he's just a face in the crowd.
Hate to burst your love bubble for Superman, but he's been just a face in the crowd once more and more super heroes were created. He's nothing special.

Smallville disagrees.

It's not a redesign based off fashion trends, I still don't know where this mindset came from. Super heroes have been redesigned from underwear over leggings for a long time now in comics.

And I'm not faulting you for wanting you to have a Superman that looks like he usually does, but in no way has he looked one certain way "forever" and that's whats annoying.

Oh man, don't get me started on smallville... didn't the series sort of acknowledge itself as an elseworld in the season finale with whats-her-face reading from a smallville comic book to her son, both of whom existing in the world of regular superman continutity? I may have that wrong, if I do, correct me.

He has looked a certain way since forever. Superman has a blue suit, red cape, red trunks, red boots. That's what I mean. Those are the dominant elements that make up a superman costume as we knew it pre- 2011, no?

If wearing trunks on the outside of tights was an established “fashion trend” and if moving away from this normalcy was radically avant-garde… you might have a point. :cwink:

Sigh. fine. I meant fashion sensibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"