The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotwire

Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

I know we've seen Cavill with the cape on, and some shots between takes where it's off but... What if, Snyder is thinking of going the Spawn route and using a CGI cape? But only in certain shots. So he can make some of those comic frames literally come to life. I mean, we all know that there are plenty of pics in comics that defy physics. It could work. Again, though, this is just an idea, a little random musing.

2. TerryMcGinnis

TerryMcGinnis Batman Beyond

That matters very little, after the destruction of his planet, he might as well be the representation of the best Krypton had to offer.

3. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury Well-Known Member

To me, most of the suit look good. I like the chest symbol and the cape. I don't mind the bumpy look to the suit. I'm not real fond of the waist and leg raised different color pieces. And my main personal dislike is the lack of trunks. I'll wait and see what some extended moving scenes of him in the suit looks like, but right now I'm disappointed.

4. B

B [insert witty comment]

I don't mean to sound rude, but is your monitor set up correctly? The shades of blue look completely different on my screen, infact they look as far apart in terms of shade as the MOS suit & the SR shade of blue. The red on the logo anyway looks completely different shades as well.

One suit is a rubber musclesuit ala Batman 89' & the other is a textured fabric ala Superman Returns. That alone I'd say is part of the design & it's also something that makes them look like completely different outfits.

The general design template is arguably similar, but then again that would be the case for the majority of Superman outfits.

But again, drawing back to your original comment, neither are the same. One looks like some sort of armour to protect his ribcage & the other is just some sort of design element in place of the trunks.

5. darknight7

darknight7 Well-Known Member

What's this from?

--dk7

6. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

Not random at all. I'd be very surprised if we don't see some picturesque "cape composition" that employs CG.

7. X Knight

X Knight Hope

when you first said the Spawn route......I thought you meant the cape would grow out of the suit.......lol

but then, given how organic and alien looking the MOS suit is......I wouldn't be surprised if the cape did grow out of it........:o

8. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

as long as it looks good on screen; the cape flows gracefully and elegantly. i would say yes!

9. StarvingArtist

StarvingArtist Well-Known Member

That's a very good question.

10. darknight7

As requested:

[​IMG]

--dk7

11. StarvingArtist

Nope, not a fan. Look's cheesier then the suit we got. Awesome manip, crappy design.

12. LibidoLoca

LibidoLoca Sensually Delicious

He's MY SUPERMAN! :hrt: AWESOME Job!
    :awesome:[​IMG]

13. darknight7

Agreed :yay:

Here are 2 older manips that I tweaked for fun...

I made the vintage suit 2 tone, instead of having ribbing. I also modded the colour a bit.

The KC I modded the "S" the colour, the hair and the wrinkles were added

[​IMG]

--dk7

14. The Watchman

The Watchman Balls McGee

The vintage suit would have been amazing, love thqat Fleisher 'S'

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  15. Showtime

Showtime Your Friend In Time

The general public isn't going to care about there not being any trunks. The general public isn't going to care about the weird silver embossing on his sides. They don't care if the blue is dark or light. None of it matters. It won't effect the movie.

I'm not sure how anybody can say this suit Cavill is wearing isn't inspired by the concepts from FlyBy. It doesn't matter if there are scales and a different \S/ or silver accents. In essence the design for this suit was made years ago, just like the Returns suit was. The Returns S is right on one of the prototypes that gentleman is painting.

16. The Watchman

The Watchman Balls McGee

Since you seem to be having fun playing around and it's awesome to see, how about a few of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. StarvingArtist

These suffer fromt he same problem as the previous, it's not a reflection on your skill.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but seeing Snyder's design, all these manips... I wish they had just completely reinvented the character. I just don't think anything will come close to the miracle Chris Reeve and Richard Donner pulled off. That movie was just a phenomenon and cemented Superman's popularity for years. It just had this feel good, untouchable quality. Reeve resembled Superman in both look and costume to such a degree that I have yet to see anything conjure that same inspirational feeling of SUPERMAN. The new suit looks cool I guess, but it also looks power-rangers-ey, Faora's duds especially. The movie will look cool, no doubt, but I don't think it'll be enough to modernize Superman to the point that it transcends the genre like the first movie did. I hope it does, but I doubt it. Don't really care if anyone agrees or disagrees. This is just one Superman purist's two cents

18. camp Blood

camp Blood For your health!

I did a superman manip of him with a white red and gold suit I felt it gave him a regal feel almost knightly

[​IMG]

if I were going to redo him to wear armor this is what it would be he would be a kryptonian knight which jor-el was so he would be wearing his dads royal armor

19. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

Kills me how no matter how many times it's happened, the general public will always be under-estimated (if not outright dismissed) and the fanboy/geek/nerd community gets over-estimated with way, too many stock put into what they think.

Most recently with X-Men: First Class, great flick that underperformed big time.

20. darknight7

Wow, I've always thought of Superman wearing white. I never figured anyone else thought the same though.

I like the gold, the red, the white because it is a mixture of hope, royalty and a god.

The Justice Lords Superman was cool, white, black and red. Very interesting and probably one of the reasons I started thinking about a white suit even more.

The only problem here is that Superman is so iconic in blue, that he wouldn't even look the same in white, and there would be so many complaints.

--dk7

21. camp Blood

and they had awesome classic but updated costumes

i could picture him coming down from the sky with the sunlight shining and his suit looks like its glowing in the bright light

22. StarvingArtist

Oy, this regal thing again...I don't know where this idea came from that Superman should be or look regal but it's completely antithetical to the character. Can someone please explain to me what this whole regal Superman thing is all about? HE ISN'T ROYALTY. HE IS NOT A KING. HE DOES NOT ELEVATE HIMSELF ABOVE ANYONE ELSE NOR DOES HE SEE HIMSELF AS A GOD. In fact, drawing any attention to how godlike, perfect, and powerful superman is has been the chief complaint of the character. So someone please explain how making Superman look royal makes any sense.

23. camp Blood

in my continuum i made jor-el a kryptonian knight so thats where the regalement comes from

but in regular terms i can see jor-el being a high military scientist and needing formal uniform to wear which is the suit and maybe on krypton there is a monarchy and not a democracy

24. StarvingArtist

As an elseworld fine, but I've read the term "regal" tossed around these boards for years in reference to superman in regular continuity.

25. camp Blood

i can picture his suit being a kyptonian version of this, think about what formal military wear looks like in america its flashy but in the uk its worse and even worse in other countries
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.