The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we've seen Cavill with the cape on, and some shots between takes where it's off but... What if, Snyder is thinking of going the Spawn route and using a CGI cape? But only in certain shots. So he can make some of those comic frames literally come to life. I mean, we all know that there are plenty of pics in comics that defy physics. It could work. Again, though, this is just an idea, a little random musing.

problem is... he isn't a royalty. :o

That matters very little, after the destruction of his planet, he might as well be the representation of the best Krypton had to offer.

To me, most of the suit look good. I like the chest symbol and the cape. I don't mind the bumpy look to the suit. I'm not real fond of the waist and leg raised different color pieces. And my main personal dislike is the lack of trunks. I'll wait and see what some extended moving scenes of him in the suit looks like, but right now I'm disappointed.

Bad Superman said:
Check out the color between Cage's and the MOS suit. Its similar.

I don't mean to sound rude, but is your monitor set up correctly? The shades of blue look completely different on my screen, infact they look as far apart in terms of shade as the MOS suit & the SR shade of blue. The red on the logo anyway looks completely different shades as well.

Bad Superman said:
The suit design in general is similar

One suit is a rubber musclesuit ala Batman 89' & the other is a textured fabric ala Superman Returns. That alone I'd say is part of the design & it's also something that makes them look like completely different outfits.

The general design template is arguably similar, but then again that would be the case for the majority of Superman outfits.

Bad Superman said:
As for the second picture, the MOS suit has a weird tribal spiderman like design from the rib area, thighs and back. And finally, neither the Cage suit nor the "robo" suit has the trunks.

But again, drawing back to your original comment, neither are the same. One looks like some sort of armour to protect his ribcage & the other is just some sort of design element in place of the trunks.

What's this from?

Dave_W said:
supe.jpg

--dk7

I know we've seen Cavill with the cape on, and some shots between takes where it's off but... What if, Snyder is thinking of going the Spawn route and using a CGI cape? But only in certain shots. So he can make some of those comic frames literally come to life. I mean, we all know that there are plenty of pics in comics that defy physics. It could work. Again, though, this is just an idea, a little random musing.

Not random at all. I'd be very surprised if we don't see some picturesque "cape composition" that employs CG.

when you first said the Spawn route......I thought you meant the cape would grow out of the suit.......lol

but then, given how organic and alien looking the MOS suit is......I wouldn't be surprised if the cape did grow out of it........:o

as long as it looks good on screen; the cape flows gracefully and elegantly. i would say yes!

Though I'm sure that this has been discussed a lot elsewhere, but I haven't been able to keep up; I'm just curious:

Based on all of the complains and criticisms that the costume designs for Superman has gotten from films like SR and Tim Burton's approach, especially for them not being "faithful" or something to that effect, why is that a majority of fans seem to be more open to his design when it's perhaps one of the boldest designs for the costume period?

That's a very good question.

Watch out for Mo-Cap Man! Hope you like.

T0JOt.jpg
He's MY SUPERMAN! :hrt: AWESOME Job!
It is a very good question...

The only thing that I can say, is that the majority of people will universally recognise and accept when something looks good - regardless of whether it is faithful, or how they pictured it in their mind.

I mean, sure, most of us before we have any clue what the suit is going to look like, will express what side we are on (traditional or modern). But it's not going to make it impossible for us to appreciate a costume that looks good, even if it doesn't fit our mind set image. Equally, anyone will admit when something DOESN'T look good too.

For instance:

superman_returns2.jpg

Traditionalists still hated the SR costume. It is MUCH more faithful than this new suit... but it didn't look good. It looked plasticy, the t-shirt collar and cape attachment was horrible, the belt, the maroony colour, the boots... how the entire team behind designing it didn't see it looked bad is beyond me, because the majority of fans knew it looked nothing close to cool.

reign045-3.png

Modernists (I know, I know, not a word :p) as well, still hate the Burton concept design. Because it is hideously ugly, despite it being a modern concept.

super1.jpg

Now we have this new design. Not faithful in every way, but not modern in every way either. It has a great open neckline, cape attachment and boots. We have a style of 's' that is reminiscient of past 's's but not the most recognised version. We have a colour scheme that reflects the opposite of SR's (dark blue, brighter red), we have no 's' curl (so far), and last but not least, we have no trunks.

Beyond that even further, we have a silver pattern design in place of the trunks. Something we have never seen before.

And all the majority of us can say is that it works. It simply is what no other Superman costume design has been before - it's cool. It looks good.

I know a lot of it is down to the man in the suit. I really really don't think i'd have liked it as much if i'd seen Routh in it first.

But mostly it's just because the design is sweet. Period.

TBH, as a girl, I see nothing funny about the crotch... It's enough to make any girl blush :p :hrt:
:awesome:
icon14.gif

Nope, not a fan. Look's cheesier then the suit we got. Awesome manip, crappy design.

Agreed :yay:

Here are 2 older manips that I tweaked for fun...

I made the vintage suit 2 tone, instead of having ribbing. I also modded the colour a bit.

The KC I modded the "S" the colour, the hair and the wrinkles were added

manofsteel2.jpg

--dk7

The vintage suit would have been amazing, love thqat Fleisher 'S'

Last edited:
The general public isn't going to care about there not being any trunks. The general public isn't going to care about the weird silver embossing on his sides. They don't care if the blue is dark or light. None of it matters. It won't effect the movie.

I'm not sure how anybody can say this suit Cavill is wearing isn't inspired by the concepts from FlyBy. It doesn't matter if there are scales and a different \S/ or silver accents. In essence the design for this suit was made years ago, just like the Returns suit was. The Returns S is right on one of the prototypes that gentleman is painting.

Since you seem to be having fun playing around and it's awesome to see, how about a few of these?

alternate_costume.jpg

red_son1.jpg

superman_blue.jpg

j9aelvc.jpg

4556-1.jpg

Agreed :yay:

Here are 2 older manips that I tweaked for fun...

I made the vintage suit 2 tone, instead of having ribbing. I also modded the colour a bit.

The KC I modded the "S" the colour, the hair and the wrinkles were added

manofsteel2.jpg

--dk7

These suffer fromt he same problem as the previous, it's not a reflection on your skill.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but seeing Snyder's design, all these manips... I wish they had just completely reinvented the character. I just don't think anything will come close to the miracle Chris Reeve and Richard Donner pulled off. That movie was just a phenomenon and cemented Superman's popularity for years. It just had this feel good, untouchable quality. Reeve resembled Superman in both look and costume to such a degree that I have yet to see anything conjure that same inspirational feeling of SUPERMAN. The new suit looks cool I guess, but it also looks power-rangers-ey, Faora's duds especially. The movie will look cool, no doubt, but I don't think it'll be enough to modernize Superman to the point that it transcends the genre like the first movie did. I hope it does, but I doubt it. Don't really care if anyone agrees or disagrees. This is just one Superman purist's two cents

Last edited:
I did a superman manip of him with a white red and gold suit I felt it gave him a regal feel almost knightly

superherohype2.jpg

if I were going to redo him to wear armor this is what it would be he would be a kryptonian knight which jor-el was so he would be wearing his dads royal armor

The general public isn't going to care about there not being any trunks. The general public isn't going to care about the weird silver embossing on his sides. They don't care if the blue is dark or light. None of it matters. It won't effect the movie.

Kills me how no matter how many times it's happened, the general public will always be under-estimated (if not outright dismissed) and the fanboy/geek/nerd community gets over-estimated with way, too many stock put into what they think.

Most recently with X-Men: First Class, great flick that underperformed big time.

I did a superman manip of him with a white red and gold suit I felt it gave him a regal feel almost knightly

superherohype2.jpg

if I were going to redo him to wear armor this is what it would be he would be a kryptonian knight which jor-el was so he would be wearing his dads royal armor

Wow, I've always thought of Superman wearing white. I never figured anyone else thought the same though.

I like the gold, the red, the white because it is a mixture of hope, royalty and a god.

The Justice Lords Superman was cool, white, black and red. Very interesting and probably one of the reasons I started thinking about a white suit even more.

The only problem here is that Superman is so iconic in blue, that he wouldn't even look the same in white, and there would be so many complaints.

--dk7

Kills me how no matter how many times it's happened, the general public will always be under-estimated (if not outright dismissed) and the fanboy/geek/nerd community gets over-estimated with way, too many stock put into what they think.

Most recently with X-Men: First Class, great flick that underperformed big time.

and they had awesome classic but updated costumes

Wow, I've always thought of Superman wearing white. I never figured anyone else thought the same though.

I like the gold, the red, the white because it is a mixture of hope, royalty and a god.

The Justice Lords Superman was cool, white, black and red. Very interesting and probably one of the reasons I started thinking about a white suit even more.

The only problem here is that Superman is so iconic in blue, that he wouldn't even look the same in white, and there would be so many complaints.

--dk7

i could picture him coming down from the sky with the sunlight shining and his suit looks like its glowing in the bright light

--dk7

Oy, this regal thing again...I don't know where this idea came from that Superman should be or look regal but it's completely antithetical to the character. Can someone please explain to me what this whole regal Superman thing is all about? HE ISN'T ROYALTY. HE IS NOT A KING. HE DOES NOT ELEVATE HIMSELF ABOVE ANYONE ELSE NOR DOES HE SEE HIMSELF AS A GOD. In fact, drawing any attention to how godlike, perfect, and powerful superman is has been the chief complaint of the character. So someone please explain how making Superman look royal makes any sense.

Oy, this regal thing again...I don't know where this idea came from that Superman should be or look regal but it's completely antithetical to the character. Can someone please explain to me what this whole regal Superman thing is all about? HE ISN'T ROYALTY. HE IS NOT A KING. HE DOES NOT ELEVATE HIMSELF ABOVE ANYONE ELSE NOR DOES HE SEE HIMSELF AS A GOD. In fact, drawing any attention to how godlike, perfect, and powerful superman is has been the chief complaint of the character. So someone please explain how making Superman look royal makes any sense.

in my continuum i made jor-el a kryptonian knight so thats where the regalement comes from

but in regular terms i can see jor-el being a high military scientist and needing formal uniform to wear which is the suit and maybe on krypton there is a monarchy and not a democracy

in my continuum i made jor-el a kryptonian knight so thats where the regalement comes from

but in regular terms i can see jor-el being a high military scientist and needing formal uniform to wear which is the suit and maybe on krypton there is a monarchy and not a democracy

As an elseworld fine, but I've read the term "regal" tossed around these boards for years in reference to superman in regular continuity.

As an elseworld fine, but I've read the term "regal" tossed around these boards for years in reference to superman in regular continuity.

i can picture his suit being a kyptonian version of this, think about what formal military wear looks like in america its flashy but in the uk its worse and even worse in other countries
pict2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"