The Official Costume Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
they need to fix the monstrosity before they get further into a hole they can't get out

Speaking of GL, look how much better the costume looks now compared to the early CGi version on the cover of EW last year. Clearly they showed it before it had fully gelled or G L'ed.

I really don't need to give you an explanation of why it (and some other stuff) doesn't make sense to me, but as you asked I'll tell you.

I'm just asking how can a collar make sense to someone since you didn't give much of an explanation and I didn't really know what to make of that statement. Now somehow I knew that you'd feel that you didn't have to explain it but you were going to do it anyways if only to shut me up. It always works, that's why I keep posting.

A lower neckline (somewhere between CR's and BR's would be a nice compromise) makes it more plausible that Clark could conceal the costume under his civvies. This is Superhero stuff, so a lot of it doesn't necessarily make sense, but at least they should give us some reasons to suspend disbelief ,or make things somewhat plausible. A hard raised dimensional \S/ is another addition that hopefully snyder will kick to the curb along with clunky boots. Btw with a Nehru neckline how does the cape attach? Super snaps? Double face tape?...Kryptonian Velcro? It certainly can't be tucked in. Also if they ditch the trunks, a belt is kind of redundant so why have it? If it's to break up the mass of blue the trunks w/belt accomplish that very well.

Basically you can't cover the Superman suit the way it is under normal clothes. That's about it.

I'd rather have some Kryptonian technology involved in which the suit "appears" when Clark opens his shirt than trying to make sense of a low collar, when there's no way any kind of boots can be covered by any kind of shoes and still go unnoticed. Same for the cape.

Kryptonian technology or super-speed are far more plausible within Superman's fiction than a mere low collar as a way to convince us you can possibly wear a Superman uniform under your clothes.

If you like that costume that's all that really matters, but I'm still hoping for Henry's costume to be a Curt Swan/ old Jim Lee look.

I think he will. I don't see Snyder trying to innovate with the Superman suit.

I'm just asking how can a collar make sense to someone since you didn't give much of an explanation and I didn't really know what to make of that statement. Now somehow I knew that you'd feel that you didn't have to explain it but you were going to do it anyways if only to shut me up. It always works, that's why I keep posting.

Basically you can't cover the Superman suit the way it is under normal clothes. That's about it.

I'd rather have some Kryptonian technology involved in which the suit "appears" when Clark opens his shirt than trying to make sense of a low collar, when there's no way any kind of boots can be covered by any kind of shoes and still go unnoticed. Same for the cape.

Kryptonian technology or super-speed are far more plausible within Superman's fiction than a mere low collar as a way to convince us you can possibly wear a Superman uniform under your clothes.

Green Lantern style! CGI suit and everything. har har har.

With Super Speed changing it makes the shirt rip redundant, and
The way Curt Swan drew the boots they were more sock than boot. Raimi's Spider-Man costume was similar in that he made it seem possible that Peter could actually fit them in his shoes under real socks. The raised webbing is kind of hard to hide under clothes but it's certainly more believable than the SR raised \S/. As for Superman's cape, if they want to explain that he has that compressed somewhere and doesn't actually have that under his clothes I'm game. I totally expect Snyder to be faithful to the established classic look, trunks and all.

I know Snyder has refuted the notion of a CGi costume, but if they could find a way to pull it off, it wouldn't bother me. Perhaps some of the details that are hard to render with real materials, like muscle definition and the \S/ shield could be enhanced with CGi in post.

GL suit looks cooler than any Superman suit I've seen onscreen, yes. :up:

With Super Speed changing it makes the shirt rip redundant,

True. Still more believable than trying to hide the whole suit under your clothes.

and
The way Curt Swan drew the boots they were more sock than boot. Raimi's Spider-Man costume was similar in that he made it seem possible that Peter could actually fit them in his shoes under real socks.

Yeah, try and put some shoes over those boots.

Still we all know Superman wears actual boots and not socks as Spiderman seems to wear.

Now, as we have mentioned, when you are Superman and you have the chance to change clothes in a matter of seconds the mere idea of wearing the whole suit under the clothes sounds ridiculous.

Not to mention that I don't believe not even once, not even in summer, Clark doesn't roll up his sleeves a little or undo the top button of his shirt.

Now, it should be mentioned that Raimi cheated all over with Spiderman's suit: he kept changing the level of the collar. Sometimes it was up sometimes it was lower so it couldn't be seen. And it was too obvious that Maguire wasn't using it under his clothes.

The raised webbing is kind of hard to hide under clothes but it's certainly more believable than the SR raised \S/.

You mean, raised things all over your body is more possible top hide than raised things in one portion of your body?

I'll give you this: both are impossible top hide under a shirt all the time.

As for Superman's cape, if they want to explain that he has that compressed somewhere and doesn't actually have that under his clothes I'm game.

If you're game for that, then let's compress the whole thing so no one can, on purpose or accidentally, see Superman's suit under Clark's shirt.

I totally expect Snyder to be faithful to the established classic look, trunks and all.

Sure.

The new film version of Superman MUST have trunks. I think even the causal film goer would be confused if Cavill jumped out there and went sans trunks

Why would the average movie goer be confused?

The new film version of Superman MUST have trunks. I think even the causal film goer would be confused if Cavill jumped out there and went sans trunks

By the time the new Superman film comes out the comics will have been featuring Superman in a new ugly costume sans trunks though.

Yeah, they would definitely notice the trunks are gone, but I don't think they'll think it's another character or something. I hope they use the classic costume so most people here (Myself included) will be happy.

I think people are forgetting the lashings the Wonder Woman costume got for not having it be star spangled spanks.(as well as it looking cheap)

People do notice these things.

By the time the new Superman film comes out the comics will have been featuring Superman in a new ugly costume sans trunks though.

Yeah, they would definitely notice the trunks are gone, but I don't think they'll think it's another character or something. I hope they use the classic costume so most people here (Myself included) will be happy.

I agree with you both. But I just hope that Snyder and company don't decide to follow the upcoming comic storyline. The new costume is indeed ugly and I don't see the point in making major changes to some that isn't broke. Like they themselves said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. And Superman ain't broke so don't try to fix it. If they don't use the classic but slightly modified costume I'll be highly disappointed. I don't see what people like about this stupid looking costume. It just looks dumb.

ok but still why would he put a uniform in the rocket...especially if he sent him to earth so he could blend in

For the suit to be an alien design in it need not have been included ready-made on Kal-El's rocket. I could give you some examples but I'm sure you could come up with a few yourself.

I find it hilarious to read the posts that insist that the removal of the trunks equals a disaster of gigantic proportions.

Why are the trunks so essential to Superman's costume?

Why does the removal of the trunks make Superman less than super in your eyes?

Things have to change. Why this insistence to cling to the past?

I don't care either way as he will still be Superman with or without the trunks, to me at least!

I think people are forgetting the lashings the Wonder Woman costume got for not having it be star spangled spanks.(as well as it looking cheap)

People do notice these things.

I've just heard so many nonfans make comments like "The underwear are lame" and "Why don't they get rid of them?". I don't expect the general audience to get upset about this kind of thing.

I find it hilarious to read the posts that insist that the removal of the trunks equals a disaster of gigantic proportions.

I don't care either way as he will still be Superman with or without the trunks, to me at least!

My thoughts exactly.

I've just heard so many nonfans make comments like "The underwear are lame" and "Why don't they get rid of them?". I don't expect the general audience to get upset about this kind of thing.

I personally haven't heard these comments, but I do agree that the GA wouldn't get upset if Superman has no trunks. That would just be the fans of the character.

Clueless is right! Just because someone is very high up on the Hollywood movie making ladder doesn't automatically guarantee they're going to know what is appropriate for Superman. Snyder isn't who worries me, it's some of the people in the hierachy of WB/DC. Look at the hash they made with the early GL trailer. The latest stuff looks pretty great, but now it's as though they're frantically releasing as much info as they can to make up for the early promotional blunders. Personally imo they are showing way too much, it's like we've seen the whole movie already.

I've pretty much given up on WB/DC in regards to everything except Batman and Green Lantern.

The guys who run Batman: The Brave and the Bold are the ones who should be in charge of the whole DC thing.

I don't care for this new design because of the collar and shield. Not because I think DC are bastardizing the character or anything, but because I prefer no collar and Lee's shields are always ugly imo. I like the classic design better for these reasons.

The important elements of the costume for me have always been, the shield, the cape, and the colors. I've always been indifferent towards the trunks, so I don't share this passionate outrage some have, but they have a right to their feelings.

and really things don't have to change. Like Didio said, if it's not broke don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with the costume. The reason for the removal of the shorts is dumber than the argument to have them. He looks strange without them and the argument to get rid of them is basically people think he looks silly...well now Batman looks off without his trunks. I prefer the trunks in the comics...and on Superman on the big screen, he wouldn't look right without them.

and really things don't have to change. Like Didio said, if it's not broke don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with the costume. The reason for the removal of the shorts is dumber than the argument to have them. He looks strange without them and the argument to get rid of them is basically people think he looks silly...well now Batman looks off without his trunks. I prefer the trunks in the comics...and on Superman on the big screen, he wouldn't look right without them.

Batman looks fine without trunks. Why would Superman not look right on screen without trunks?

BTW

If we get an official pic of Superman wearing kneepads I will complain.

Superman doesn't need padding or armor. He's invincible for goodness sake!

Last edited:
BTW

If we get an official pic of Superman wearing kneepads I will complain.

Superman doesn't need padding or armor. He's invincible for goodness sake!

preach it brother, preach it! and with that I'm going to bed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"