The Official DC Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Dr. Fate, Jul 26, 2006.

1. geetard

geetard Rebirth

Check out JL: Darkseid War (volumes 7-8 of New 52 Justice League).

2. gqxsensazn

gqxsensazn Well-Known Member

Thanks!

3. Lobo

Lobo Snow Wifey

What's a really good New 52 Superman trade I should check out?

4. -Arya-

-Arya- Brightest Day

Superman: Men of Tomorrow by Geoff Johns and Action Comics by Greg Pak.

5. yanksno1

yanksno1 Member

So my 4 year old niece is starting to get into superhero's (from her friends at school). She likes Wonder Woman and Supergirl. Do you guys have any suggestions of comics to get her for her age that she can start at (that her parent's would read to her till she can on her own)?

6. geetard

geetard Rebirth

For Supergirl, there's Cosmic Adventures of the 8th Grade. I'd also suggest the last New 52 volume (Crucible arc). It has a Harry Potter/Hogwarts'ish setting.

There's also the DC Super Hero Girls books. The animated show and dolls/figures are also quite popular as I heard...

7. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder, Action Comics Vol. 5: What Lies Beneath by Greg Pak. The majority of Pak's run is pretty good, but that's the one I always come back to. Unchained is probably my single favorite Supes story of the New 52.

I loved Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics too, but it's a bit more divisive.

8. Lobo

Lobo Snow Wifey

Thanks FlickChick :). I actually have Superman Unchained on order. Will look into the others.

9. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

Looking at these new Mr. Oz covers I'm starting to think that maybe bleeding cool was on to something by saying Jor-El is actually OZ.

10. Babillygunn

Babillygunn Tag team champion

Yeah DC Superhero Girls for the girl ones. Also old all ages Shazam comics are cool and she might like Mary Marvel. My youngest loved the Li'l Gotham series by Dustin Nguyen, who is one of my favorite Batman artists.

I'd suggest going to a local comic shop and rummaging through their "all ages" section.

11. Lobo

Lobo Snow Wifey

Thanks, I'll add it to my list.

12. Jesse

Jesse Old Curmudgeon

The New Teen Titans #28 - #31 Volume 2
    written by Marv Wolfman and Paul Levitz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This story arc is nothing short of epic and features a team of Titans both new and classic.

Summary:

The Church of Blood makes a public spectacle of the resurrection of Brother Blood with millions of people following on TV which allows the church to greatly increase his powers. Donna Tory leading a team of Titans including Wally West Flash and new Robin Jason Todd attempt to stop them but are easily defeated when Raven is brainwashed. There are also with appearances by Robotman and the Justice League. Robin really steps up in this and even Frankie Kane tries to hero up and helps recruit the Justice League who mostly deal with the hordes of angry mobs incited by the airing of Brother Blood's resurrection on TV. Blood is finally defeated when a pregnant Mother Mayhem betrays him and Raven recovers from her brainwashing.

13. Jesse

Jesse Old Curmudgeon

The New Teen Titans #32

"Trivial Pursuits"

[​IMG]

The Titans take some time to decompress after their epic confrontation with Brother Blood last issue. With the exception of Beast Boy the Titans visit a mountain inn to relax. They end up literally stumbling upon a murder mystery (because of course they do) and end up stopping some unrelated poachers as well. This was a pretty fun read for a one off issue and it teases the next story arc at the end.

14. idiot09

idiot09 Kicks side

Would anyone recommend Batman : Black Mirror? I have been put off when I heard it was Dick Grayson under the cowl...anything special about this book or just the regular story? How good is the art?

15. titansupes

titansupes Well-Known Member

Definitely recommended. Scott Snyder before he started falling into the trap of thinking he has to be EPIC and GAME-CHANGING all the time. Intense, dark crime-thriller and Grayson being under the cowl gives the thing an interesting attitude. The stuff with Gordon is top knotch.

From memory (and I could be wrong, haven't read it for five or six years) there's two or three different artists throughout, but all fantastic and all compliment each other, so not jarring when they switch.

I'm due for a re-read, now that you mention it.

16. idiot09

idiot09 Kicks side

Thanks. You convinced me. I loved his Owls's storyline, but I dont think Metal is for me, so this definitely feels more attuned to my taste.

17. sweetre15

sweetre15 Positive Page

So some questions for you guys

Whose run on Justice League would be the best to start with? I've heard good things regarding Grant Morrison's run but alsonwhat about the runs that precede it?

Also as you can tell in the general comics discussion thread along with the old Spidey issues, Aquaman, New Teen Titans and Batman stuff I've read and reviewed here, I've also been checking out Superman stuff.

So far I've read

- Superman: Earth One

- All Star Superman

- Superman For All Seasons

- Geoff Johns' Braniac storyline

- Superman Birthright

- Last Son

So either

A - What are some other story arcs you guys recommend

Or

B) If there is an entire Superman run worth reading, which writer should I look for?

18. MMMMM...Pancakes

MMMMM...Pancakes Cena Wins LOL

You can start with Morrison's run. Shouldn't have any confusion. Go back and read JLI. There is a new omnibus coming out soon. Must read stuff.

19. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Morrison's run on JLA was essentially a reboot, so you can start from there. Mark Waid took over from him and that was also great.

Some relatively recent Superman stuff I've loved:

- Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee (New 52)
    - Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics (New 52)
    - Greg Pak's run on Action Comics (New 52) - this kinda ran out of steam, imo, but was great early on. If you want a sampling, I'd recommend the arc "What Lies Beneath" which is collected in TPB form as Action Comics: Vol. 5. Just a nice little arc that perfectly represents what Supes is all about.
    -Superman Rebirth has just been great from the start so far, imo.
    -Action Comics Rebirth started off a bit wonky, imo, but has been very good lately.

Finally, if you want to continue from where you left off with that Geoff Johns' Brainiac story, I do recommend following through with that entire New Krypton arc (Brainiac was basically like a prologue for that). Writing-wise, it has it's ups and downs, but it really is one of the most epic Superman/Supergirl arcs I've ever encountered. So as I said, it starts with Brainiac, then it goes:

- New Krypton
    - World of New Krypton
    - Last Stand of New Krypton
    - War of the Supermen

It's a lot of reading, but a good read, imo.

20. MMMMM...Pancakes

MMMMM...Pancakes Cena Wins LOL

Superman the Man of Steel trades if you can get them cheap

Death of/World Without/Return of trilogy. Then Hunter/Prey

Up, Up and Away and it's follow up trades by Busiek.

The Tomasi/Gleason run has been fantastic (current creative team)

Strange Attractors

Emporer Joker

I can keep going, but that's a start.

21. sweetre15

sweetre15 Positive Page

Thank you very much guys, when I bounce back financially, I’ll be happy to add those to the shopping list of mine.

22. Babillygunn

Black Mirror is one of my favorite Batman stories. It really showcased the Grayson Batman and made him legit. I'm one who would've been ok if Grayson would've stayed on as Batman for a good bit longer.

23. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Black Mirror was fantastic. I love Dick Grayson as Batman.

24. Babillygunn

There were a number of great stories with Dick as Bats, Black Mirror being at the top of the list along with the early issues of Streets of Gotham, which is criminally underrated with its perfect marriage of Dini's writing and Nguyen's art (Dini and Nguyen are two of my favorites)

25. CLARKY

CLARKY Well-Known Member

If you read the Brainiac story you should then read the prequels to that :
    Superman Last son
    Then
    Superman Escape from Bizarro world
    Then
    Superman and the Legion of SH,
    and then the sequel to the brainiac story : Superman secret origins. Same writer, same huge arc.

I keep thinking it gives you a better insight of the character to follow a serie than just buy the TPB because of the name of the writer. You're free to do as you wish of course. :)