Homecoming The Official "Don't Panic" Thread

harryoscop

Avenger
Reaction score
For all of those getting worked up over the Rothman announcement
This is from deadline:
Under the new structure, Lynton will continue as Chairman and CEO of SPE. Rothman’s role and oversight will be specific to the Motion Picture Group, and he will report to Lynton. Steve Mosko, president of Sony Pictures Television, will report to Lynton.
I'm sure Lynton won't allow Rothman to interfere with this deal, here's what he said about the deal:
"We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. "This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans."
Why would he allow Rothman to mess this collaboration up? This is Spidey's LAST chance to prove that he's still a money maker, Sony can NOT afford to mess this up.

Oh and about that Miles/Ethnic Peter Parker rumor, straight from his primary source:
https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/sta...03712732581888
Need I say more? Rumor debunked.

Also here's another comment from him that further extinguish his credibility:
"Spider-Man fans may be the worst I've seen. So impatient. So illogical. So... racist."
As of right now, Dylan O'Brien and Logan Lerman are STILL being considered for this role.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for putting this up dude, it's facts that need to be spread. The truth is all of Rothman's decisions are to be approved by higher-ups that are eager for this deal to go smoothly and to profit from Feige's vision.

wrong-gif.gif

panic.gif

Beaker.gif

1391492940067.gif

v6x7ZOu.gif

Kelxb.gif

Levi, the purpose of this thread is to not panic. I almost feel like this thread should be a sticky and remain closed.

Good idea, oscop :up:

I got on after being offline the whole day and started to freak out a little when I read bits about Rothman.

This thread was overdue.

We're two years out, there's goig to be many more rumours that will induce panic that will need to be debunked

For a large amount of fans its been over a decade since a good Spiderman movie and everybody here loves the character. So any news that might sink this third try at the character we all love and cherish will induce hysteria

Even a shred of bad news kills hope of a perfect Spider-Man movie.

We're going to need this thread for a looooooong time.

Well Civil War comes out in 1 year and production begins in April, so casting rumors are bound to disappear soon.

I told you guys not to panic awhile ago. Japan wanted this deal when ASM2 tanked. We've been seeing evidence of this since the beginning of Dec. Why would they hire this man to screw it up. Btw doing my research this isnt the first time fiege dealt with a crazy higher up.
O and the miles stuff makes me more angry than worry cause people who want miles dont know who the bad place Peter parker is. The majority of fans do not want a black or miles spiderman those are just the wannabe SJW's trying to push an agenda and be cool with the other SJW. The spiderman thing is stressing me out sure...... but im hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. I dont think the people at marvel and sony will want to not give fans what they wanted for years.

Its gonna be alright. They're not gonna change the race of the character regardless of the guy from the Wrap's musings. While I do think the next actor who plays Spiderman will probably upset alot of fans, and won't be either Lerman or O'Brien, they're sticking with Peter Parker. As far as Rothman goes, Disney /Marvel will be a pretty formidable check to contend with, if Sony starts starts to get froggy and self destructive. We're getting Spiderman in the MCU guys.

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades:word:.

Its gonna be alright. They're not gonna change the race of the character regardless of the guy from the Wrap's musings. While I do think the next actor who plays Spiderman will probably upset alot of fans, and won't be either Lerman or O'Brien, they're sticking with Peter Parker. As far as Rothman goes, Disney /Marvel will be a pretty formidable check to contend with, if Sony starts starts to get froggy and self destructive. We're getting Spiderman in the MCU guys.

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades:word:.

xP3Kn57.gif

To be fair, Mr Rothman has never had a creative team at another company that has a consistent record of making good films, not only that, but he doesn't have to pay for their services. So instead of putting resources into the creative process for a film, he can consult Marvel Studios, who will at least give him creative direction for the foreseeable future. It is in Marvel's interest to do this, and it helps Rothman cut down on the production budget by basically using Feige as the puppetmaster, who will then command Sony to do their thing. It's in his financial interest to NOT meddle with the creative process of any of the films, a case study (TASM2) shows that a film can bomb in the box office if it is poor due to studio mismanagement.

There's no situation where him interfering can possibly be percieved as a good thing from a business point of view, not even because he's bad (he is, but he won't admit that) but because somebody else will do a much better job for free.

He'd be insane not to take it up, and perhaps, he'll provide the financial stability to match the creative brilliance of Feige and co. and we can get something really amazing.

If all else fails, Disney can pull out their chequebook and bribe Rothman or buy out SPE, whatever is cheaper. If the entire MCU is at stake, it becomes a worthy investment. Not to mention the gains of the Jumpstreet and MIB series among other things.

There's lots of situations where this can be a good thing, but it's not impossible that it will end in tears. We just gotta hope, and well, not panic.

My concerns are more so after Marvel gets the character back on his feet-- which I believe Rothman/Sony will comply with in terms of listening through Civil War and the first solo. I won't panic if at all until after those.

Video courtesy of SevenWebHeads.

[YT]lWDg5gl2Jqc&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

My concerns are more so after Marvel gets the character back on his feet-- which I believe Rothman/Sony will comply with in terms of listening through Civil War and the first solo. I won't panic if at all until after those.
Wouldn't they want Spider-Man to appear in at least one Avengers movie though? Even if the 2017 solo film is good, the character could seriously benefit from making an appearance in Avengers: Infinity War.

I like this thread. I want to remain optimistic because of Fiege's and Marvel's involvement in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"