The Official Flash Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea but it was never confirmed who was to be who and anton was only on that one list when in all other reports had bordy as wally awhile barry flash was unknown. Plus we dont know what is getting changed in the rewrites who knows what the story will end up being.

The Golden Boots are a little cheesy. Much colors.

to each his own. i don't think they are, especially if they are a dark color instead of the light yellow. With that said, there is a very thin line to spilling over into cheesiness.

i'm not sure what you mean by "much colors"

It get's campy, flaterry, a bright-yellow boot.

Dark gold boots? Hell Yeah.

yea but it was never confirmed who was to be who and anton was only on that one list when in all other reports had bordy as wally awhile barry flash was unknown. Plus we dont know what is getting changed in the rewrites who knows what the story will end up being.

Dude, READ the first 14 page script summary and OFFICIAL reports! they were using Barry! I'll get you the links ASAP.....

...and the rewrites were done only to punch up the third act. WB wants LOTS of action towards the end of the film. (who doesn't?)

It get's campy, flaterry, a bright-yellow boot.

Dark gold boots? Hell Yeah.

Just do GOLD. Look at the Alex ross pics, THAT's the gold I want to see.

And, like I said, if they don't want to do GOLD boots, just do red boots with gold trim, like what Flash has got on his sleeves/arm areas, put THAT on his boots too. Red boots that match the red areas on Flash's suit with gold trim at the top of them, like the gloves.

I'll draw a picture and post it ASAP.

I'm a little pressed for time right now, I'll be back later.

Just do GOLD. Look at the Alex ross pics, THAT's the gold I want to see.

And, like I said, if they don't want to do GOLD boots, just do red boots with gold trim, like what Flash has got on his sleeves/arm areas, put THAT on his boots too. Red boots that match the red areas on Flash's suit with gold trim at the top of them, like the gloves.

I'll draw a picture and post it ASAP.

I'm a little pressed for time right now, I'll be back later.

i don't like his red. too light.

burgundy would look cool.....

yeah or just dark dark red like crimson.

with burgundy, you have teh chance of people calling it brown cause well most fanboys are color-blind.

If they won't bring Barry back and even if they do, that's still a GREAT idea. An ALL STAR FLASH about Barry Allen would be wonderful. I LOVE that idea. I hope they do that one day. :-) ...and a GL about Hal would be sweet too and so would a Silver Age JLA All Star book.

I'd read an All-Star Flash with Barry in it and I'm a huge Wally fan. :D

Hal's got his own title. Took it back after Rebirth.

I read quite a bit of Wally, including the current book and Johns work.

Current Wally is a different animal to single Wally. You should read Waids first run on the title. It made me a fan of the character.
But that's the thing about Wally, he is secondtier,

Was second tier when he began. Wally became first tier later in his super-hero career.

he wasn't the first Flash as we know him (excludes cancelled versions like Garrick) which makes him unoriginal and without Barry he has no story, Wally's world (LOL!) depends so much on Barry. It's like reading a story where Dick Grayson is the new Batman cuz BW is dead. It's not the real deal. Everything that Wally is is built on barry, and if there is no Barry than there is no Wally.

Ironically I think this makes Wally unique on his own. He's grown up with his mentor who he has always put on a pedestal. The few comics I've read of Barry he never seemed to do the same with Jay Derrick. Was Jay looked up to by Barry like Barry was by Wally?

Wally was always meant to be a legacy character who was able to successfully take over his mantle from his predecessor. He was never a character who was supposed to begin on his own. He's a coming of age story.

Since then he's grown into his own man. Still looking up to Barry but now he's more like a peer, not a student.

Let's see the tone of the boots. Maybe they can work.

A character doesn't end where he began. You cannot accurately assess something like Wally's "quality" based on how he was created. Although even then, I think Wally has the edge.

Overall, he is easily more unique than Barry Allen. Not only has he faced most everything Barry did, but he has the added element of being a sidekick and growing into the legacy as he grew into a man. He underwent some serious trauma in losing Barry, and his "becoming The Flash" is just so much more poetic than Barry's "I got struck by lightning, now I'm going to be a hero". And he's had more interesting and varied relationships (Whereas Barry mostly had Iris), there's just so much more to work with on almost every comparative level.

I mean, name an element that Barry had to his character other than being a police scientist that Wally doesn't, or hasn't experienced, or at least experienced something similar. Maybe Wally couldn't exist without Barry Allen, but it doesn't matter. He's still become a more interesting character overall.

I know they were using both barry and wally in that script then. I was saying we didnt know for sure if brody was barry or wally. From what it was looking from rumors/reports brody was to be wally and barry role unknown. Then there was no reports on the barry actor untill that ssh list had anton guy as wally and brody as barry. So who knows what is what. And as i keep saying we dont even know what in the story is going to be changed now with the rewrites and since the official delay back in Jan no one is under contract so wb could have people return or they could easily recast anybody.

"Current Wally is a different animal to single Wally. You should read Waids first run on the title. It made me a fan of the character. "

I have some issues, but i want more! LOL! do you know of any trades?

"Was second tier when he began. Wally became first tier later in his super-hero career. "

I kind of agree with that, he really is more firstier when compared to guys like John Stewart, Guy Gardner, and even Kyle Rayner. Good points, bro.

"Ironically I think this makes Wally unique on his own. He's grown up with his mentor who he has always put on a pedestal. The few comics I've read of Barry he never seemed to do the same with Jay Derrick. Was Jay looked up to by Barry like Barry was by Wally? "

No, but as far as Barry knew for most of his life, Jay was just a comic character (that inspired his Barry's name). And Jay was NOT Barry's mentor and likewise Barry wasn't Jay's protege, they saw each other as equels. Read Waid's "Brave and the Bold" miniseries Hal/Barry story collection...some GREAt stories in there. But Wally was Barry's NEPHEW and sidekick, it makes sense that he thinks highly of him (as he should).

"Wally was always meant to be a legacy character who was able to successfully take over his mantle from his predecessor. He was never a character who was supposed to begin on his own. He's a coming of age story. "

Agreed, and that is what makes Wally unique and a great character to read IF YOU KNOW FLASH HISTORY. I'm not knocking Wally. I like him, I'm just saying that Barry's my fave and I think he's the best, and for newbies he's easiest to follow, being the first contemporary Flash.

"Since then he's grown into his own man. Still looking up to Barry but now he's more like a peer, not a student."

EXACTLY! That's why it would be so awesome if Barry were back! Wally can still be Flash, just have Barry around too. I think that'd be cool, personally.

"A character doesn't end where he began. You cannot accurately assess something like Wally's "quality" based on how he was created. Although even then, I think Wally has the edge."

You have a good point there, Wally is much more A listier now then when he was created, but Barry began as an A lister. He didn't have any baggage, you didn't have to know about a previous Flash or hero in order to understand/follow barry's story. he was his own man who had his own enemies, own origin, he set the standard for all the other Silver Age heroes, he was original, THE original. Wally's a great character, but he ISN'T the original, and is just an extension of Barry. He isn't really his own character, like I said his story depends very much on Barry, even today.

And again, that's why Barry translates much better to on screen or in other mediums for new audiences to see than Wally. And that's why if they were gonna do Wally they'd have to mention barry, or do a Wally/Barry hybrid.

But Wally is THE best sidekick of all time, IMO. he can carry his own book and that's what makes him the better than the rest. You don't see Wonder Girl or Aqualad doing that.

"Overall, he is easily more unique than Barry Allen. Not only has he faced most everything Barry did, but he has the added element of being a sidekick and growing into the legacy as he grew into a man. He underwent some serious trauma in losing Barry, and his "becoming The Flash" is just so much more poetic than Barry's "I got struck by lightning, now I'm going to be a hero". And he's had more interesting and varied relationships (Whereas Barry mostly had Iris), there's just so much more to work with on almost every comparative level."

Wrong. Wally followed the road already paved, Barry was the pioneer. If not for Barry's footsteps Wally wouldn't be anything. And when Barry was hit by lightning and became Flash it was MUCH more believable than to have another character "coincidentally" get his powers the exact same way in the exact same place. it's cheesy, flimsy, and UN-ORIGINAL. Barry's becoming Flash is sooooo much more poetic and exciting than Wally's, Barry was a guy who was late for everything, always finished last, BUT HE FINISHED, that was his shtick, slow but reliable, he always wished he were the "fastest man alive", and then he gets hit by lightning and everything changes. He's no longer slow because he has to be, but because he chooses to be. And the his adventures as Flash had seemingly unlimited potential, he'd fight NEW bad guys never heard of before and face new challenges and invent that awesome Flash ring, he'd do things NEW, not just follow a path already made by a mentor and fight bad guys that were his mentor's like Wally would, he was his own man, he was original, and that's what makes Barry such a fascinating character and the best Flash. He's the best. And honestly, i'd prefer that the protagonist have one constant love intrest most the time, like how Superman has lois Lane, instead of not having a clue at who the guy's girl is, like with Batman. Just one constant. Superman has Lois, Spider-Man has MJ, GL has Carol Ferris, and Flash has Iris, It's that simple, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

"I mean, name an element that Barry had to his character other than being a police scientist that Wally doesn't, or hasn't experienced, or at least experienced something similar. Maybe Wally couldn't exist without Barry Allen, but it doesn't matter. He's still become a more interesting character overall."

Again, i disagree that he's a more interesting character. Barry was a pioneer. His adventures were new and fresh, he wasn't some guy just fighting his mentor's battles/doing what his mentor would be doing if he were there. He was original. Everyone wants to see how Batman's first encounter with the Joker was, not see Robin take over as batman and fight all of Batman's venemies. That's the way it is with Wally. Barry was much more inventive, or creative, or smarter or whatever you wanna call it than Wally. Wally's just following what Barry left, Barry didn't have anybody to follow who did everything before. Wally didn't create that Flash ring or costume design, etc BARRY DID. So as far as I'm concerned, barry's always has been and always will be the best. Even tho i like Wally too.

yeah or just dark dark red like crimson.

with burgundy, you have teh chance of people calling it brown cause well most fanboys are color-blind.

yeah, that'd be good. I remember how many people thought that the Superman cape in Superman returns was brown..LOL! I guess fanboys are color blind...

I'm still workin' on those pictures, BTW. And I'll get those links ASAP......

Kellel:

Waid's entire run isn't in trades. You should track down back issues to fill it in if you can afford to. There wasn't a single issue I didn't like. :D

Waid's trades include Born To Run, Dead Heat, The Return of Barry Allan, The Life Story of the Flash, Terminal Velocity, Race Against Time and The Wild Wests.

Those are the all the trades I could find at Amazon.

I'll definitely look for the Brace & The Bold mini by Waid.

I agree with you that Barry would be easier to follow for newbies compared to Wally. It's not completely difficult for them to get to know Wally the films just need to establish his history with Barry for it to work. Maybe we'll get this fleshed out more in his solo movie if it gets released after JL.

I'd even be fine if DC bought Barry back so long as it didn't overshadow Wally to much. I'm dreading that they'll have Wally become a supporting character in his own book like they did with Kyle in GL and basically take over Wally's Flash duties in other titles like JLA. :(

He'd fit in well with the JSA.

Waid's JLA: Year One definitely made me a fan of Barry. Before that I didn't know much about him.

yeah, that'd be good. I remember how many people thought that the Superman cape in Superman returns was brown..LOL! I guess fanboys are color blind...

I'm still workin' on those pictures, BTW. And I'll get those links ASAP......

1. yeah that's what i was refering to ...

2. can't wait.

Kellel:

"Waid's entire run isn't in trades. You should track down back issues to fill it in if you can afford to. There wasn't a single issue I didn't like. :D"

That's AWESOME. I hope I can get them. :yay:

"Waid's trades include Born To Run, Dead Heat, The Return of Barry Allan, The Life Story of the Flash, Terminal Velocity, Race Against Time and The Wild Wests. "

Thank you, brotherman. I've been dyin to get my hands on Return of barry Allen. They say it help made a lot of barry fans enjoy Wally more.

"I'll definitely look for the Brace & The Bold mini by Waid."

Please do, it's some of Waid's greatest work, IMHO, and it has some my all time fave hal/Barry moments in it. It's a must for any fan of Flash or GL. :yay:

"I agree with you that Barry would be easier to follow for newbies compared to Wally. It's not completely difficult for them to get to know Wally the films just need to establish his history with Barry for it to work. Maybe we'll get this fleshed out more in his solo movie if it gets released after JL."

Thanks and I agree. I know it's impossible, but my Flash dream project would be a series of six films, the first focusing on Barry, the second still focusing on Barry but introducing Wally as Kid Flash and the third being the "death of Barry Allen" and the fourth, fifth and six focusing on Wally. That'd be SWEET. That way the audience would know who all the characters are and would really relate to Wally when Barry dies and kind of grow with him as he becomes the Flash, they'd understand his loss. THAT'd be soo cool, IMO.

"I'd even be fine if DC bought Barry back so long as it didn't overshadow Wally to much. I'm dreading that they'll have Wally become a supporting character in his own book like they did with Kyle in GL and basically take over Wally's Flash duties in other titles like JLA. :("

I agree, I'd love to have Barry back, but I think Wally should still remain the main Flash. What would Wally do, go back to being Kid Flash? I think not. I think it'd be cool tho, if for an issue or two every now and then, Wally takes a break from being Flash to spend more time with his fam and Barry takes over for a day. I'd like that every once and a while. It'd also be cool too, to have Jai and Iris hang out with their great uncle at some Flash barbecues and family get togethers. But unless they do a HUGE retcon and start fresh again, i don't see them using Barry as the main Flash a possibility. I still think an All Star Barry book is an AWESOME idea tho. How'd one get that made?? ...... maybe i'll write to Wizard about that.

"He'd fit in well with the JSA. "

Now THAT's another cool idea. Didn't think of that. I think he'd do well as a JLA reserve member too.

"Waid's JLA: Year One definitely made me a fan of Barry. Before that I didn't know much about him."

that's great bro! All that I've read of Waid's stuff, Barry or Wally is good. And Year one is no exception. He really writes them both well, IMO.

Is anyone else reading teen Titans Year one? I'm thinking about picking it up, I hear that Kid Flash Wally and Barry Flash are big parts in it. :yay:

1. yeah that's what i was refering to ...

2. can't wait.

I've been busy as hell but they are coming.....

I just finished the pencil art for the Flash movie suit, now on to the inking. I hope you guys won't be dissapointed.

Again, i disagree that he's a more interesting character. Barry was a pioneer. His adventures were new and fresh, he wasn't some guy just fighting his mentor's battles/doing what his mentor would be doing if he were there.

You keep coming back to "some guy fighting his mentor's battles", and you just seem to want to look at it that way without approaching Wally as an individual. I could pull the same with Barry and Jay Garrick, but I won't.

He was original.

He was original, in terms of characterization, just as Wally is, but he wasn't the first. Jay Garrick was the first Flash.

Everyone wants to see how Batman's first encounter with the Joker was, not see Robin take over as batman and fight all of Batman's venemies. That's the way it is with Wally.

Wally's got his own enemies, too.

Barry was much more inventive, or creative, or smarter or whatever you wanna call it than Wally.

He may have been smarter, more but inventive, creative, etc...what are you basing this on?

Wally's just following what Barry left, Barry didn't have anybody to follow who did everything before.

Except for Jay Garrick, of course.

Wally didn't create that Flash ring or costume design, etc BARRY DID.

Who cares if Barry invented the basic elements of his suit? Are we discussing the suit, or the character? A costume is just a costume, not a characterization. And the Flash ring is just a gimmick. And hell, Wally can create his costume out of the Speed Force itself, that's much cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"