Xbox The Official Gears of War Thread

What exactly are Rare doing at the moment? Kinect stuff? Where is all the advanced Kinect stuff anyway? I don't get the big Kinect push, was it just for voice control and exercise related stuff (which is admittedly awesome)? Surely they could have made the same great voice tech with a top notch microphone system and no motion control receiver for half the price if they aren't going to go big on Kinect games themselves.

Right now, Kinect Sports Rivals. They've been doing nothing but Kinect stuff ever since Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

I forgot Battletoads was a Rare game. Damnit MS get on that!

I agree with you on Conker. It really didn't fit with Nintendo's image at all. But, I think Nintendo would have used non-kiddie IPs like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, and Battletoads much more effectively than Microsoft has.

I don't think Nintendo does anything with those franchises either, certainly not with Killer Instinct. Maybe they would of ported the old games over, but thats as far as it'd go. Same could probably said for Battletoads. Outside of a re-make along the lines of Double Dragon, i doubt anything comes of that.

Jacobed is right on the money for the most part. The MS acquisition might of pushed Rare over the cliff, but they were heading there regardless. Its a lot easier and far more popular to blame the giant corporation than a once good developer that got swept away by the tide of a changing industry

I don't think Nintendo does anything with those franchises either, certainly not with Killer Instinct. Maybe they would of ported the old games over, but thats as far as it'd go. Same could probably said for Battletoads. Outside of a re-make along the lines of Double Dragon, i doubt anything comes of that.
Nintendo can't do anything with them because Microsoft now owns those IPs and publishing rights to the older games as well. However if Nintendo bought Rare, I think k they would have exploited those IPs more effectively than Microsoft has. Nintendo has a well desert reputation on exploiting their IPs on their systems.

Jacobed is right on the money for the most part. The MS acquisition might of pushed Rare over the cliff, but they were heading there regardless. Its a lot easier and far more popular to blame the giant corporation than a once good developer that got swept away by the tide of a changing industry
Except Nintendo culture is vastly different than Microsoft's culture. If Nintendo bought Rare, they would have applied the same Nintendo standards that they apply to their AAA titles. Meaning they wouldn't have allowed crap like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Perfect Dark Zero, and Kameo be released until they met Nintendo's standard of quality.

Nintendo would have most likely put in the resources to correct the ship as opposed to letting it sink like Microsoft did. The Stamper Brothers and many others would most likely still be at Rare if Nintendo bought them as well.

Don't forget that Nintendo have delved into more adult games, like Mad World and that Suda game. Conker would fit that mold perfectly.

MadWorld was Sega and No More Heroes was Grasshopper. Nintendo had nothing to do with them. Nintendo would be fine with doing more adult games that are reasonable in tone like Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct

What do you mean Nintendo had nothing to do with them? Didn't they commission them? Weren't those games Nintendo exclusives? How is that any different to what their arrangement was with Rare for the 64 and Gamecube generation? I don't get why they couldn't have done the same thing, if they still had a partnership with Rare.

What do you mean Nintendo had nothing to do with them? Didn't they commission them? Weren't those games Nintendo exclusives? How is that any different to what their arrangement was with Rare for the 64 and Gamecube generation? I don't get why they couldn't have done the same thing, if they still had a partnership with Rare.
They were Nintendo exclusive games because Nintendo owned 49% of Rare, but Rare was still an independent company. Nintendo would often act as simply the publisher of the title for games like Killer Instinct, Banjo-Kazooie, and Perfect Dark, but they were games that Rare decided to make on their own, and as a result, they owned the IPs (hence why Microsoft now owns them). For some of these games such as Conker, all Nintendo did was merely take up the role of distributor while making Rare the official publisher. And they helped with the marketing. Nintendo didn't commission these games.

Nintendo had very little role in the actual development of games that were owned by Rare as opposed to the games that Nintendo owned like Donkey Kong Country and Dinosaur Planet (that ended up becoming Star Fox Adventures). They weren't Nintendo's IPs and they had a lucrative arrangement by just simply publishing or distributing and promoting Rare's games.

Man Judgment was such a huge misstep for this franchise. We had 3 games all big sellers and could have had Gears 3 as the last game on the 360 with a close to launch big new game for X1. And we could have had the sequel to that at roughly the same time as whenever the actual next Black Tusk game is coming out. It's going to be a big time gap between Grs3 and the next game to keep fans tied over and some momentum will be lost.

Man Judgment was such a huge misstep for this franchise. We had 3 games all big sellers and could have had Gears 3 as the last game on the 360 with a close to launch big new game for X1. And we could have had the sequel to that at roughly the same time as whenever the actual next Black Tusk game is coming out. It's going to be a big time gap between Grs3 and the next game to keep fans tied over and some momentum will be lost.

Eh IDK, I think the gap will help the franchise. People will be craving reentry into the Gears world after so much time away.

I just hope that after so much time, we get something closer to Gears 3 and not Judgement.

Eh IDK, I think the gap will help the franchise. People will be craving reentry into the Gears world after so much time away.

I just hope that after so much time, we get something closer to Gears 3 and not Judgement.
If Judgment hadn't happened at all we would have had a good gap before any X1 release. I think people would have been excited for next gen Gears with Gears 3 being the last game and maybe 6 months or so after Halo 5. And then a sequel 2 years after that. I think a gap will help the franchise now like you say but the gap itself could have replaced Judgment and we'd have had a 100% success rate on last gen with enough time for anticipation to build for the next gen version. Plus the last game being active rignt up to the next gen release rather than almost completely abandoned. (at least Gears 3 is still active)

Back to the subject of Rare... apparently in that Kinect Sports games there will Battle Toad costumes. This gives me some slight hope that MAYE Battle Toads will be revived. Even if it's only small.

Im not saying Epic wouldn't want to think multi plat, I mean more consumers, possibly larger intake, but I don't think it was ever even a remote possibility though. Not even close. Im not even sure the sales of a PS version of Gears would even justify the added dev costs. Gears was associated with MS the way MGS is associated with Sony. Just watch how the MS sales of the Phantom Pain and MGSV will be DWARFED by Sonys machines. Id be willing to wager that the amount of profit Konami makes off the Xbox versions of those games will be incredibly small, if even a profit at all. They probably should of kept it exclusive to Sonys platforms.

Im beyond positive Gears was never going to go multi platform, hell iv been proven right by MS buying up the rights to the series. It was never going to happen for one reason or another.
Given that xbone and ps4 have AMD GPUs and very nearly the same CPU I doubt there would have been a significant development cost increase in going multi platform.

Yea true, but wasn't 343 made up of a bunch of Bungie guys? That won't be the case here, save for Fergusson.

I don't think so, from what I know 343 was a studio made specifically for making Halo games by Microsoft.

Then why was there even any fear or discrepancy when Halo 4 came out?

That's just how people are whenever another company takes over a franchise, regardless of how many former employees make up the new team.

From what iv read in the time since Halo 4's launch, there weren't that many, there was just a handful, but Frank O'Conner being one of the bigger names lead people to think there were more I guess.

Its a moot point now, 343, ex bungie employees or not, have proven they know what they're doing.

I think by not being a Halo fan in particular I can actually enjoy all the games much more than many fans. Each one has got better for me.

From what iv read in the time since Halo 4's launch, there weren't that many, there was just a handful, but Frank O'Conner being one of the bigger names lead people to think there were more I guess.

Its a moot point now, 343, ex bungie employees or not, have proven they know what they're doing.

well apparently halo has lost some of its momentum since halo 4.

I really get the feeling this new Gears game is going to be amazing now that Microsoft have bought out the rights and put their big new studio to work solely on this project. Plus giving them so much time that it won't be at all rushed (like the previous title) will be deep into the generation and able to take advantage of the console hardware. Gears 1 is where 'next gen' started for me last time around and I think this title will be getting more care than any of the other titles.

Yeah totally. It's pretty much universally loathed amongst Gears fans. My friends list was made up almost totally of Gears fans but I've seen noone playing that game for a long time, even though people are still playing Gears 1 from 2006! The campaign wasn't too bad, although nowhere near the level of the 1st 3 and Overrun was pretty cool but the multiplayer was just terrible and they ditched the hugely successful Horde mode. Disaster of a game for the franchise although it looks they are really trying to rectify that with the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"